TPOL 2022!👨‍🎓

The Transitional presentation of Learning. The Tpol. I just finished grade 9 which means I’m out of the “armpit of highschool” and that deserves a little reflection of what actually got me  out of the armpit. It’s hard to look back to the start of the year that being 10ish months ago, but I remember just finishing grade 8 feeling very confident with my work abilities but I had absolutely no clue how much of a step up grade 9 is from 8. The first at project was people and the environment which we had to learn how to write professionally to an important person such as the minister of the environment(which is who I wrote to) and write them a letter about how I, as a student, can help fix or take action to a environmental problem. I never got a letter back but I was very proud of the work I created so that’s a win in my book. Nevertheless, the work is a lot harder in grade 9 as it was in grade 8. (All couses say 8 down below, its actually 9)

At the start of the first semester I had some trouble keeping up with all my work while still having it as extending quality, and that deeply reflected on my Showbie and report cards not having great marks because I completely missed a assignment now and there. So on my learning plan under what I plan my learning to look like, I said having an organized schedule which will make me keep up to date Once semester 2 started we came up with a new work time schedule and slowly learned to balance that with my sports life and social life. I started off the semester over the moon with how much I’ve been keeping up with the work, and surprisingly if wasn’t too hard to do so it just took commitment. Keeping on that track for the whole semester is quite challenging but I do have more of a grasp  than early on in the year by far.

Failing is a huge part of my growth because if you only do things semi correctly there’s no way of findingout how you can improve whatever it is that your doing. Learning how to do stuff not correctly, knowing what not to do, and building off of that failure is personally how I’ve grown as a learner and how I eventually started to create better work. There’s two scimatics examples, one of early on this year which I had to make a board game, and one where I had to made a Rube Goldberg machine.

I made a fun board game but it did not meet the criteria well because the math aspects of the game that we were supposed to have were just not it at all. That project got a sun cloud because it was a fun board game and the only thing blocking the sun was the academic aspects.

I did better on the metaphor machines project making a really cool machine with my partner Erik, but instead of having just a cool machine, we took time enterprating to science part of the project into the electric circuits. And by failing that first time by not adding the academic part, I learned from that, applied it to my next project, and got a well rounded accomplished.

The main question is why do I think I should advance to the next grade level? I think I should advance so I can continue failing and doing nothing but bettering my work quality, and master my school to social life schedule and get a grip on how to do both well, not do one well and lose the other.

The Seven Habits for Highly Effective teens like me

The seven habits book by Steven Covey was one of the most helpful books I’ve read in a minute. It was enjoyable not because it was fun to read, but more fun in they way that your learning how to become your most effective self. What we had to do for the project was read the book to build our understanding on the seven habits. Every other day in class we watched a video to summarize the habit, talk about it, and sometimes even do an activity on it. Lots of peer critique throughout this project, personally I love it cause it pretty much kind criticism and all it can do is help. 

The three main topics to be your most effective self are: Communication: How do I use the 7 Habits to communicate and collaborate, and develop habits to support my growth as a learner?, Thinking: How do I use the 7 Habits to think creatively, critically, and reflectively to support my growth as a learner?, and lastly Personal and Social: How do I use the 7 Habits to develop personal and social awareness and responsibility and positive personal and cultural identity to support my growth as a learner?. With those three categories for each one we had to think of and do a kithaestenic, video, audio, and written idea to represent each one. You can see what ideas and activities I did in the numbers document down below, and those ideas are how how I showed my understanding one the seven habits.

There aren’t any extra core competencies because those ideas are how I show my core understanding of each topic. As I’ve said a million times this project was more educational than fun built i’m still glad we got to do it because ever since we did I’ve been a more effective learner and just person in general.

IMPACT Spring Exhibition 2022!

If there was one word to describe the spring exhibition, it would’ve been hectic. The winter one was a little easier because of the fact we had time to rehearse and practice our presentation, before we had to present. I have a blog post on that too if you’d like to go check it out. But for this one we just had to picture what was going to happen and put it into a document that is easy enough to understand that the grade 8’s would understand. Then on the day of the exhibition we had an hour and a bit to set it all up for the guests who could be family, friends, peers and more. 

So the exhibition is mainly about showing our work but we took the guests through the story spine which started off with Introduction (at Entrance): What is PLP? then went to Project Pathway (PLP Room): How do we learn?, to Beyond the Classroom (Extension): How do we make deeper connections beyond our classroom?, to Tech for Deeper Learning (Annex): How do we use technology to deepen our learning?, and then to mine, Conclusion (at Gym hallway): What is a PLP learner?. A simplified version on the story spine is right below this so you can see what I’m talking about. 

At my groups section we displayed a bunch of work that the grade 8’s were both proud of and not proud of to show their improvement from the start of the year. The grade 9’s presented their documentaries on a projector with little sheets on the wall describing each one. We also had an instant challenge station to represent communication and teamwork, and then afterwards you graded yourself on the proficiency scale which was also talked about with the guests. Then our food was skittles to represent the extending mark on the proficiency scale.

My job at our station was to prepare the skittles and hand them out to guests explaining why we chose that specific food for our station. That works on my social and communication core competency having to connect with the audience and make sure they get the point im bringing across.  

Mitosis and Meiosis Reproduction!

Ever wonder how babies are made? And no this isn’t the birds and the bees, it’s the more in depth version. Not what is actually is, I’m talking about the science behind this reproduction. As me and my class learned, the event which is occurring is called meiosis. The short and easy way to explain is to produce gametes, the sperm and eggs, with half of the genetic complement of the parent cells. The official definition is: Meiosis is a type of cell division in sexually reproducing organisms that reduces the number of chromosomes in gametes (the sex cells, or egg and sperm). In humans, body (or somatic) cells are diploid, containing two sets of chromosomes (one from each parent). That sounds complicated, but it’s really not. We also learned about mitosis which is a similar word, has a similar meaning, but is different. WE focused on this one more by doing an experiment with garlic.

What we did with the garlic is we planted them in a little cup of dirt, waited about a week, and the went through a procedure that included cutting it, soaking it with water and something blue and poisonous, then putting it under a microscope to see what stages of mitosis we could find. The blue photo you see is the photos I took of my garlic root, and although it may look like it has something going on in there it very much doesn’t. The other lighter one is a photo I took from a mitosis slide meant to replicate the stages of meiosis, and out of that I did get good photos out of.

And the final piece is we has to make a narrated video comparing the slide photos that we took to models that we made of the phases of mitosis. There are many phases and many similar things in my models, and I pointed out while explaining what those were. Learning to movie skills in maker also helped my create the video, so I guess you can use things you learn in class outside of it.

Metaphor Machinery Making💡🤖

Metaphor machines. Yes this seems like another 1 of the many projects I’ve done, this is just going to be another blog post just going over what you did. Well, yes but this one is more interesting I promise. Started off with a little junkyard wars competition which is almost like a DI instant challenge. We got a certain amount of materials, a certain amount a time, and a certain number of people in our group. Our goal was to make a machine that rolls a marble from start to finish, has a obvious start middle and finish, uses a few laws of physics and capture that all on film. It was a fun 45 minute activity, in my opinion was a lot of work but it was a fraction of what we had to do in our final project.

I thought our final project was just going to be a slightly amped up version of what we already did but we had to add a freaking light bulb electricity circuit to it. There are many types of circuits as we learned and made in simulators throughout the project. We did Kahn academy quizzes, Kahoots, used PHET simulators, read textbooks, did workbooks all just to understand how circuits work, how to differentiate them, and how to create them. In our final metaphor machine we used a simple double wired closed circuit with a singular lightbulb. Sounds complicated but it’s the easiest possible thing.

The process of making the final machine was a bit of a struggle because I was away for a few extra days after spring break ended which made us behind, and half our our group decided to not show up most of the work days. Me and Erik tried not to lets the obstacles stop us from getting it done neatly, correctly and attempted to get it in on time. Loads of tutorial times were went to while the board was in the process but we ended up doing it and it worked so we feel pretty accomplished about that alone. Coming into this project I thought it was going to only be about electricity because it’s science (as you can see on my project start mind map) but it wasn’t (as you can see in the picture of our physics machine). We are aware some of the words are spelled wrong and voiceovers scrambled up but you can still easily tell what’s going on and what we are explaining. Videos down below if you want to watch the machines in action (if not it will be updated into the post shortly).

Don’t Just Think, Be a Moviemaker!🎥⭐️

Not to brag or anything but I think I could be just as good as Steven Spielberg with all my movie skills I have now. In this vibrant videos project we just did we learned about how to use all of the movie/video making softwares on out iPads such as clips and iMovie. Also a few photo editing softwares like pixelmator, superimpose x, and Canva (which we did learn how to use last year but I used them again this year for the first time since then. 

To build knowledge on the apps and how to use them we did many in class activities. In clips making a short silent film we got taught how to use filters, posters, add music and a couple other cool things. In iMovie we learned more advanced stuff like green screens, sound effects, transitions, cosplay, special effects on some other cool apps. To review our knowledge we did whiteboard activities listing all the examples, non examples, key things, that are in different film types like a movie, a film, a video, a short film. We pretty much described them and focused on what’s different from one another. Both while and once our knowledge was built we made a bunch of videos and films in class with partners using all of the tips and tricks we picked up. 

Skill 1 was a story about me using pan, voiceovers, and transitions. Skill 2 was a silent movie which of course did not use voiceovers, instead had posters with a sentence on each. Very old timey. Skill 3 was learning how to make a storyboard, and following through with it by making a ‘how to video’ following the plan. And lastly skill 4 which was a special effects sequence which I missed but heard we got to dress up, use the green screen and make a fun video with a few friends. Here in PLP our work is supposed to be public so I’ll leave the two videos of me down below (skill 1 and 2) and if you want you can watch them. Yes…they are really cringe but that makes them enjoyable for YOU not ME. Enjoy and thank you.

Skill 1: Simple story about me

Skill 2: Silent Movie

A War to End All Wars Graphically Told 🇨🇦💥💣

World War One, the war of all wars, where countries fought and achieved glory, but also got left in the dust. Xander here and I’m going to talk about one of if not the most famous war of all time. What we did in this project is we did loads or research on the topic, although we had done stuff on this topic before, we went deeper into things like what were some short term and long term causes of the war. We also looked at the short and long term consequences of the war. We did that on big events in general, and realized how something 100 years ago could be one of the reasons somethings happened today. And also just in real world everyday events like traffic can lead you to being late for work, which can lead to your boss getting mad, which can lead to you getting fired. Its just a series of normal events that cause and lead up to a big and bad event. Back on topic it wasn’t just this war that we focused on we had to individually pick out a smaller war from a list of 10, and make a graphic novel aka a comic book about the smaller war.

More on the comic book, we read a comic book about the First World War and it was roughly 170ish pages, the one I made was only 5. And let me tell you, it was a lot of work and I put in alot of information into those 20 panels, just imagine how much info in in about 700 panels. And what’s even crazier is that I read all 700 of those panels and really enjoyed it. I incorporated some of the comic books style into mine so mine would look more professional, which it kinda sorta did as you can see in the photos. In our comic we had to include a few things things like thought balloons, sound effects, narrators blocks, normal balloons, captions, and traced image panel (with nothing else on it), and a few optional things like emanatas, labels, and more. We had to draw our own characters, backdrops, make our own balloons, make the storyline just as if we were creating a real comic. One last thing you might want to know is the battle I did for my comic was the 2nd battle of Givenchy which is famous for only lasting a few hours in warfare.

We didn’t do much else for this project it was really short and sweet but it did build off of out most recent project which was case for a nation which also talked about canadas history which we needed to know for this project. personally I like those because you don’t get overwhelmed with loads of assignments what you don’t learn a whole lot from, and instead you have one main project and a activity or two paling the way. Meanwhile you are learning so many new skills and using all the skills that you have learned previously in this class. That’s all and I hope you found this project as weirdly cool as I did, peace.

The Dreading Destined DI!

Destination Imagination 2022

Oh boy, this was another mess. Almost every person I know that has done DI has said the same things: “too much work” “Very stressful” “Too nerdy and weird” flat out “not fun, just terrible”. While I don’t blame them for saying those things, this year wasn’t nearly as bad as it was said to be. To start it off we were supposed to do a google form to pick out our top challenge choices for the competition we were about to do, and me being me I decided to do it 20 mins after the due date and I ended up with improv. At first I though “Oh god I have to make a play” but everyone does that in DI no matter the category, it’s the culture. But reading more and diving deeper into the challenge, it sounded…it sounded kinda cool. That might sound crazy but you’ll see. My lovely group partners were Cole, Hannah, Gwen, and David, but David decided to scoot off to argyle. Now it was just the 4 of us. We named our team un-4-gettable. Pretty corny but cool no? 

First thing that we did was go into the rules of the road for our challenge ‘Festival frenzy’, found out what we had to do, must include, may include, pretty Much what our challenge was all about. Quick summary of that, the four of us had to research 10 festivals, make a note page including stuff like where it is, when, what, the more we wrote the more it would help us the day off the presentation. How we practiced is basically how we had to preform, we did the exact same thing. A random festival was pulled, a random goal was pulled and in the middle of our 5 min presentation time, a fork it the road was also pulled. We had to enterprate all of those into a performance with a beginning, middle, and end, but in two 2min 30 sec increments not three. We did that about 15 times to prepare, all spread out within a month or two. So there wasn’t a lot of actual work to be done, just a lot of practice. That’s why is wasn’t too much work or too stressful.

On the day of the challenge we had to clear our entire day to drive out to King George Secondary which is out by UBC and about an hour long drive. Crazy to do for a little 5 min presentation but it’s worth it. We went into a waiting gym to prepare for about half an hour before we got put into the room we’ve been preparing to go into for months. Personally I think the presentation went well, not much we could’ve done better other than closing the play which we just came short of finishing. Then less that 5 minutes after we got put into the same room with the same appraisers to do the instant challenge which we have no idea what we were gonna have to do, and I still can’t tell you what we had to do, oh well;) Felt good to get DI out of the way, but it was good to do stuff you don’t normally do with people you don’t normally work with. Exited to see what DI next year has to offer!

Case for thee Nation!🇨🇦

So, case for a nation has been completed. This had been a very fun and educational project, and I know your probably thinking “oh you say that every single time you must be faking it just to sound like it was fun” well it’s school, of course it’s not gonna be fun but I was not faking the educational part we learned a ton. I’ll show that to you guys.

We started off doing fun little activities, and when I say fun there I mean it. We had to make a short video kinda like a tiktok following a ‘Canadian check’ tread which was from TikTok. That kinda helped out mine as well as many others historical point of views on how other see Canada. That can be used for many other situations in varying topics so I’m glad we learned that. We also did a two or three day group activity where we were put into small groups, we had to learn about a place, what we have, what we need, what others have etc… After we knew about out place there was a confederation that was offered that we had to sign which would give us materials, benefits, but also things we had to give away. it’s like if we were running a province irl, and it was pretty much a simulation to see if we did good or bad for our place if we were to run it. Personally I think me and my group rocked it and we could be absolutely perfect leaders if we were to be put in a real situation like that (jk) all jokes aside I did well leading my group to success.

Then came the big project that your seeing all the images about. I was given the topic german nationalism which is a very risky topic to have a say and opinion on, but that means it was a good challenge for me. For that challenge I was tasked to make an opinion piece having to stand an event german related, and make an opinion wether it was good or bad thing and why. Every single word I had to watch out for in case it was controversial. That was both a challenge for the german nationalism topic, and my personal writing skills.

From both that opinion piece and my research page I made a caption for an instagram post summarizing my topic from the time period 1840-1875 so pre hitler and pre World War Two (which is kinda what german nationalism is known for). It had to be short but impactful and under 100 words but I was confident in what I wrote, and it only got better after combining it with my groups captions. And there can’t be an insta caption without and insta post and yes we made those too as you can see. Mine is the black and white soldier image with all the singular words  that they are described and and hope to act out as. I did put my two group members photos in here just in case you wanted to see them.

Our driving question was how can an understanding of nationalism of the past, help us make sense of today? You can compare how counties were back in old time periods to how they are today and see all the differences in their nationalism and colonialism. Take Germany as an example, it shows that they are aggressive and will do anything for benefits and power, but it’s up to the leader wether it’s used for good or bad. That comparing aspect can go for many other situations, all you have to do is research. 

Overall this was a huge leap in my work productivity after having a strict work schedule, better organization, and those things made me produce way better quality work that I’m actually proud of. And the best part, it was all on time. That’s what we did and how I feel like it did during this ‘case for a nation’ project, Thank y’all!🇨🇦

(Insta link: https://instagram.com/plpseycove?utm_medium=copy_link)

Loon lake learning advance!

Oh boy was this an experience alright. So I’m going to talk a little bit about the Loon Lake learning advance and my experience there going from work, food, fun to friends pretty much everything there was in store. So this learning advance lasted from Monday at around lunchtime till Thursday at lunch, but it wasn’t the same for me ill explain why.

So on the Monday we come to school with all of our luggage, pillows, and backpacks it weighed like a million pounds. We chatted a little about the trip and prepared for everything that could happen outdoors in a place like that such a ways away from home. Doing a little bit of research on the place it turns out that it’s a campus for camp good times which is a camp for kids with cancer to get away from reality and express who they are without worry, and people with similar situations around you. That got my hopes up a little bit cause I remember watching videos on it in elementary school and it looked fun. The bus ride up was long, bumpy, and dreadful but getting there was very relieving. The first thing we did was go down to the lake and my god it was beautiful so it was good to relax there for a bit, then we learned our way around going on a little scavenger hunt. Turns out there were many fun things to do there because they had a gym, chilling lounges, our ‘frat house’ which was just what my group called our cabin, and more. One of my favourite parts of the trip was the food and I bet many others said the same thing. We had French toast, pancakes, bacon, scrambled eggs and everything you could possibly want for breakfast all in one day, that says enough about the variety of food we were served all day long. The first day was just getting the know the campus, know our groups, start our journal and stuff like that.

Day two was a lot of hard work school wise and chilling time. We worked on stuff like DI with our teams, advisory, we did an outdoor activity which was building a shelter out of sticks. To get to that place was hard physical work cause we had to pull ourselves across a river/lake with a freezing cold wet rope. That was difficult for me because my back started to have crazy pains and I could barely stand up straight. I powered through the day and acted tough while I had to sit on the floor doing group activities, then during the night time chill time instead of doing basketball, watching the olympics, playing board games with friends, I grabbed a few chairs and tried to fall asleep on them. Later that day I found out a few people were feeling the same way, then 4 of us went home the next morning felling sad because we were both sick, and had to leave right before we were supposed to do all of the fun stuff like battle archery and laser tag. I took a rapid test when I got home and I wasn’t surprised to see that I caught covid.

The experience from home was definitely interesting to say the least. It was hard talking to my friends and see them showing and telling me all the fun stuff I missed out on but it was out of my control. All the meals I would’ve had, the activities I would’ve participated in and all the bonding times with buddies. All I really did from home is do as much of the book creator journal as I could and all the individual writing assignment that were due in Showbie. This blog post is the most writing I’ve done about the trip so far.

In conclusion it was a fun trip while it lasted, and had a great balance of both fun and work. Thank you!