Loon lake learning advance!

Oh boy was this an experience alright. So I’m going to talk a little bit about the Loon Lake learning advance and my experience there going from work, food, fun to friends pretty much everything there was in store. So this learning advance lasted from Monday at around lunchtime till Thursday at lunch, but it wasn’t the same for me ill explain why.

So on the Monday we come to school with all of our luggage, pillows, and backpacks it weighed like a million pounds. We chatted a little about the trip and prepared for everything that could happen outdoors in a place like that such a ways away from home. Doing a little bit of research on the place it turns out that it’s a campus for camp good times which is a camp for kids with cancer to get away from reality and express who they are without worry, and people with similar situations around you. That got my hopes up a little bit cause I remember watching videos on it in elementary school and it looked fun. The bus ride up was long, bumpy, and dreadful but getting there was very relieving. The first thing we did was go down to the lake and my god it was beautiful so it was good to relax there for a bit, then we learned our way around going on a little scavenger hunt. Turns out there were many fun things to do there because they had a gym, chilling lounges, our ‘frat house’ which was just what my group called our cabin, and more. One of my favourite parts of the trip was the food and I bet many others said the same thing. We had French toast, pancakes, bacon, scrambled eggs and everything you could possibly want for breakfast all in one day, that says enough about the variety of food we were served all day long. The first day was just getting the know the campus, know our groups, start our journal and stuff like that.

Day two was a lot of hard work school wise and chilling time. We worked on stuff like DI with our teams, advisory, we did an outdoor activity which was building a shelter out of sticks. To get to that place was hard physical work cause we had to pull ourselves across a river/lake with a freezing cold wet rope. That was difficult for me because my back started to have crazy pains and I could barely stand up straight. I powered through the day and acted tough while I had to sit on the floor doing group activities, then during the night time chill time instead of doing basketball, watching the olympics, playing board games with friends, I grabbed a few chairs and tried to fall asleep on them. Later that day I found out a few people were feeling the same way, then 4 of us went home the next morning felling sad because we were both sick, and had to leave right before we were supposed to do all of the fun stuff like battle archery and laser tag. I took a rapid test when I got home and I wasn’t surprised to see that I caught covid.

The experience from home was definitely interesting to say the least. It was hard talking to my friends and see them showing and telling me all the fun stuff I missed out on but it was out of my control. All the meals I would’ve had, the activities I would’ve participated in and all the bonding times with buddies. All I really did from home is do as much of the book creator journal as I could and all the individual writing assignment that were due in Showbie. This blog post is the most writing I’ve done about the trip so far.

In conclusion it was a fun trip while it lasted, and had a great balance of both fun and work. Thank you!