The Dreading Destined DI!

Destination Imagination 2022

Oh boy, this was another mess. Almost every person I know that has done DI has said the same things: “too much work” “Very stressful” “Too nerdy and weird” flat out “not fun, just terrible”. While I don’t blame them for saying those things, this year wasn’t nearly as bad as it was said to be. To start it off we were supposed to do a google form to pick out our top challenge choices for the competition we were about to do, and me being me I decided to do it 20 mins after the due date and I ended up with improv. At first I though “Oh god I have to make a play” but everyone does that in DI no matter the category, it’s the culture. But reading more and diving deeper into the challenge, it sounded…it sounded kinda cool. That might sound crazy but you’ll see. My lovely group partners were Cole, Hannah, Gwen, and David, but David decided to scoot off to argyle. Now it was just the 4 of us. We named our team un-4-gettable. Pretty corny but cool no? 

First thing that we did was go into the rules of the road for our challenge ‘Festival frenzy’, found out what we had to do, must include, may include, pretty Much what our challenge was all about. Quick summary of that, the four of us had to research 10 festivals, make a note page including stuff like where it is, when, what, the more we wrote the more it would help us the day off the presentation. How we practiced is basically how we had to preform, we did the exact same thing. A random festival was pulled, a random goal was pulled and in the middle of our 5 min presentation time, a fork it the road was also pulled. We had to enterprate all of those into a performance with a beginning, middle, and end, but in two 2min 30 sec increments not three. We did that about 15 times to prepare, all spread out within a month or two. So there wasn’t a lot of actual work to be done, just a lot of practice. That’s why is wasn’t too much work or too stressful.

On the day of the challenge we had to clear our entire day to drive out to King George Secondary which is out by UBC and about an hour long drive. Crazy to do for a little 5 min presentation but it’s worth it. We went into a waiting gym to prepare for about half an hour before we got put into the room we’ve been preparing to go into for months. Personally I think the presentation went well, not much we could’ve done better other than closing the play which we just came short of finishing. Then less that 5 minutes after we got put into the same room with the same appraisers to do the instant challenge which we have no idea what we were gonna have to do, and I still can’t tell you what we had to do, oh well;) Felt good to get DI out of the way, but it was good to do stuff you don’t normally do with people you don’t normally work with. Exited to see what DI next year has to offer!