Chemistry Coding

During this project, I have learned a very important lesson… matter matters. 

These past few weeks, we have discussed in class the Kinetic Molecular theory and the Atomic theory. Our goal was to show our knowledge by coding a Scratch game or simulator that answers our driving question:

How can the behaviour of matter be explained by the Kinetic Molecular theory and the Atomic theory?

As per usual, we started off this project by creating a mind map using Mindnode to organize our thoughts, questions, and ideas. Upon completion of this project, we revised our mind maps to display our knowledge. 

In short, the Kinetic Molecular theory describes the behaviour of matter. This theory explains how all particles are constantly moving and therefore have kinetic energy. Temperature also affects how much kinetic energy there is in a substance. 

Here are examples of the behaviour of matter:

• Typically, particles in a solid object are very close together. These particles don’t move around, but they do vibrate. 
  • Particles in a liquid are somewhat close together, but not as close as the particles in a solid. These particles also slip and slide past one another, albeit not as quickly as the particles in a gas. 
  • Furthermore, particles in a gas are very far apart, and move with speed.

On the other hand, the Atomic theory explains that matter is composed of small particles known as atoms. Over time, there have been multiple variations of the Atomic theory. Although Dalton’s theory is most accepted theory today, scientists have since discovered that atoms aren’t the smallest particles out there. Atoms consist of other particles such as protons, neutrons, and electrons.

Once we were ready with the knowledge necessary in order to code our Scratch creation, we were to come up with a programming plan. You can see mine above.

Afterwards, I finally got started on my Scratch game. As mentioned in my plan above, I wanted to create a guessing game or trivia game of some sort. Each question would be based off of the kinetic molecular theory or atomic theory. This is how I decided to answer the driving question.

Here is a cactus drawing I made to use as my gameshow host. His name is Monsieur Ukki, and he’s a French cactus.

Although I won’t show all of my coding, here is the code I used for the “lives” in my game. If you want to check out my entire code, feel free to click the link to my project!

Curricular Competencies:

• Questioning and predicting: Demonstrate a sustained curiousity about a scientific topic or problem of personal interest.

This competency represented our desire to learn and discipline to remain on task. I did have difficulties at times, but I feel that I did well on this competency. My friend, Ava, and I also spent time helping each other with our Scratch codes during class. Thanks for that!

• Scientific communication: communicate ideas, findings, and solutions to problems using scientific language, representations, and digital technologies.

This competency represented the more scientific aspects of our project. I feel that I did well on including a variety of atomic models, states of matter, and particle motion. However, I did have to revise and add the particle motion since I hadn’t done so on my original version of my game.

• Reasoning and analyzing: Use logic and patterns (including coding) to solve puzzles and play games.

This competency represented the more technical aspects of our project, such as the code we used for our Scratch games/simulators. I coded my game to be interactive with whomever is playing it. In order to beat the game, the player must answer each question correctly, albeit with a limited number of lives. 

In conclusion, the Kinetic Molecular theory and Atomic theory affect our daily lives. From the dew on the morning grass, the steam on the bathroom mirror, or even the feeling of soil beneath our feet. Changes are happening to matter everywhere around us, and that’s what makes it important for us to learn about them.

If we choose to ignore what’s right in front of our eyes, how can we ever learn?

The More Things Change

Hello there! Today I’ll be discussing our latest project: The More Things Change.

This project title was inspired by the theory that “the more things change, the more they stay the same.” Although we didn’t discuss this philosophy as much as we discussed continuity and change during the time of European settlement, the concept itself is somewhat similar.

Driving Question: “What did European settlement mean for all the people involved?”

In order to answer this question, our goal was to create an infographic, as you can see above.  However, in order to create an infographic, we needed the necessary knowledge and research to go forward.

The first few milestones of this project focused mostly on research, and how we can apply continuity and change. I won’t bore you with all of my notes however, here is a page that I’m particularly proud of:
Afterwards, my partner, Alicia, and I compiled the necessary data into charts so that we have our “supporting facts” for our thesis. This also connects to a competency called “Using Evidence From Various Sources”.

Before we could use the facts, we needed to have them approved first. It took Alicia and I multiple tries, but we managed it in the end. Here are our facts:
Next, we needed to draw visuals to support our facts. Alicia and I decided I would be in charge of the French, British, and First Nation visuals. However, Alicia helped me come up with ideas as to what I should draw.

Below is the final version of our infographic.

Curricular Competencies:

• Identifying Continuity and Change:

This competency means to understand the similarities and differences between lives and conditions over time. In this case, we compared Canada during the time of European settlement and today. In a sense, this also connects to our previous projects: “How It Started… How It’s Going”, and “Argh, Matey!

• Using Evidence from Various Sources:

Our “historical conclusion” for this project, or in other words, our thesis was:

“European settlement resulted in the exchange of various goods between all the groups involved. Although the power difference between groups and systems has changed over time, we still use trading as a method to obtain and develop new resources.”

Essentially, for this competency, we had to learn how to evaluate, gain, and share evidence in order to support our thesis.

In conclusion, the French, British, and First Nations were three of the groups involved during the time of European settlement. Because of the fur trade, First Nations had access to resources such as guns, kettles, and various other tools. Due to this, they were able to aid the French during the Battle of the Plains of Abraham. Although the French established New France (also known as modern day Québec) in 1608, the British managed to gain control of a greater portion of land. Consequently, the British also had greater control over the fur trade. If it wasn’t for all this factors, Canada could be quite different from the way that it is today.

Also, here’s a shoutout to my project partner, Alicia! She was a huge help during this project, and she has my many thanks! Be sure to check out her blog!

Argh, Matey!

Cannons, sword fights, and sailors; the first thing that came to mind when I read our latest project’s name. However, despite the movie on piracy we watched at the beginning of the project (Captain Phillips), I was quick to discover “Arghh, Matey!” is less about piracy and more about sailors and exploration. These past few weeks, we have discussed the Age of Exploration, the three G’s, as well as cause and consequence; all three of which connect to this project’s driving question:

“What was the impact of global exploration?”

The Age of Exploration took place shortly before the Renaissance, between 1450-1700. During this time, people began to travel east by land, bringing back various goods on their journey. Many merchants lived off of the “gold” they made in business. Spices and silk were the most popular among the items that Europeans of this time desired. The path that was commonly used for this type of travel was called “the Silk Road”. 

People of this time were not only motivated to travel by business, but also the three G’s: Gold, Glory, and God.

Quite like today, people during the Age of Exploration yearned for gold, or in other words, wealth. Many rulers began to fund various journeys and projects in hopes of earning more money altogether. Merchants lived off of the buying and selling of items outside of Europe. During this time, capitalism was on the rise.

During this time, fame and glory began to become much more desirable between rulers, sailors, and individuals. This is because of the innovation of the printing press. Word began to “get around” not only through speech, but also print. Competition between kings and queens multiplied. However, there was not only glory to the King and individuals, but also to God.

Christianity was a widespread belief amongst people during the Middles Ages, similar to today. Some also believe that their Faith is their purpose, and that they must spread the word of God… or in other words, convert people to Christianity. Exploring provided the opportunity to meet people and convert them. Following the discovery of the “New World”, missionaries tried to convert Aboriginal peoples to Christianity, mostly in vain.

The idea of “cause and consequence” approach the causing factors of events as well as what the after effects of those events were.  To strengthen our understanding of cause and consequence, we were given the opportunity to plan out a story of our own. 

Afterwards, we used an app named “AR Maker” to make the story come to life. I wrote my story about the damage inflicted upon Earth through landfill. You can watch my video here.

The making of this video also prepared us for our final task, in which we were to use the “story spine” in order to show our understanding of the consequences of global exploration. Using the notes I took during class, I first planned out my story using a story spine chart. Then, I wrote my script in greater detail. Afterwards, I only had to draw my AR objects, then record the video. 

You can watch the video here:

There were three Curricular Competencies for this project: 

• Discussing, Listening, and Speaking: Can I demonstrate appropriate speaking skills?

Appropriate speaking skills would entail a vocabulary, volume, and tone suitable for the situation. In this case, “the situation” was our AR maker video. My script was carefully planned out, but I believe the presentation itself could have been better. I had a tendency to stutter at parts, and I think that I should have spoken more clearly.

• Analyze Cause and Consequence: Who or what influenced events to occur and what were the consequences of those events?

As mentioned prior, cause and consequence are the factors that cause certain events, and the repercussions of said event. To analyze means to develop an understanding through drawing conclusions from evidence. In this case, I talked about the consequence of racism and suffering that was influenced by Christopher Columbus after he “discovered” the Americas.

• Empowered Learner: Can I use technology appropriately and effectively to construct knowledge? 

This is a competency that has been used in the past for other projects, such as our “How it’s Going… How it Started” project. In PLP(Performance Learning Program), we make use of technology in nearly all of our tasks. However, it is important to distinguish the difference between using technology, and using technology efficiently to represent knowledge. An Empowered Learner would show their learning through the technology available to them.

I feel that although it was difficult at times, I did well on making use of technology for this project. However, I do think I could have represented my knowledge in a much more thorough manner for my final AR video. 

Global exploration has greatly impacted the lives of both people of the past and the present. There are a number of factors that have resulted due to the Age of Exploration, albeit I believe that racism is the most prominent consequence, even today. Slavery and human trafficking were the cause of suffering for many. Exploration during the 1400s-1700s was motivated by many variables, but Gold, Glory, and God were three of the most common motivators… or in other words, “causes”.

Thanks for reading! Stay tuned for my next post on our current project, “The More Things Change”!

Destination Imagination 2021

DI (Destination Imagination) is a worldwide tournament through which youths around the globe can participate in. This nonprofit organization invites students to involve themselves in a hands on learning experience through project-based challenges. These challenges are designed to develop the following:

• confidence
  • creativity
  • critical thinking
  • communication
  • teamwork skills

DI Challenges are composed off of science, technology, engineering, arts, and mathematics. My DI team was called “The Troublesome Tech Team”. If you couldn’t tell by the name, the challenge we chose was technical. Prior to the pandemic, teams would normally perform a challenge solution in front of appraisers. However, this year, all teams completed their challenge solution through a video.

My team members were: Sabrina, Theryn, Noah, Patrick, and Xander.

Each team had to present a solution to both an instant challenge and our central challenge. However, we can’t share our solution to the instant challenge due to competitive reasons. Instead, I’ll explain our central challenge and how we “solved” it.

My team’s challenge, “The Next Level” was meant to be a video presentation in the style of a video game. We had to include an adventurer that went on a quest to obtain the “Ultimate Prize”. However, we also needed to incorporate cinematic techniques, technical methods, and two team choice elements in the video… which made things much more complicated. On top of that, we also had a 5 minute time limit. Sabrina and I collaborated on the script, which you can read here.

At first, I had created an animation as part of our “team choice elements”, but we ended up scrapping it since nobody really liked the ideas I included in it. Although it’s not the full animation, here are some drawings that basically show what my animation was like. 

Our challenge solution involves an “AI” as our adventurer. I had originally wanted to represent this through a very “personified way”, somewhat like the SQUIP from “Be More Chill.” Unfortunately, that idea also got scrapped and we ended up using an animation that Theryn made. You can watch our video down below!

If I’m being honest, our team was a complete mess. Most of the time, I didn’t even know what everyone was doing. We planned out responsibilities, but didn’t really stick to the plan, in my opinion at least. It was a disaster, and I’m honestly somewhat disappointed by the end result. I don’t think we worked very well as a team. However, as my teacher, Ms. Willemse, says, each failure is a learning experience. What I know now is that collaborating with others is a lot harder  than I had initially thought. Sometimes in team projects, you have to make sacrifices on your part just to maintain the “peace”. Your ideas won’t always be heard unless you put in the effort to actually get people to listen to you. You won’t always get along, but the important part is talking through your disagreements to come to an agreement. 

Afterwards, we received a certificate and pin for participating, which was really cool. Our class also received hoodies… but I’m assuming mine was given to someone else.

In conclusion, DI isn’t as easy as some may think. It requires a lot of collaborating, teamwork, thinking, and work. I personally felt really stressed by the whole thing, and I’m not all too proud of our final result. It felt like we were getting bombarded by deadline after deadline, worksheet after worksheet. On top of that, I felt like our team had difficulty collaborating at times. I guess that’s something I should expect more of in the future. However, I’m hoping for the best should I participate in DI again.

The Student Blogging Challenge 2021 Final Post

A few weeks ago, when I had finally finished Day 10 of the SBC (Student Blogging Challenge), I had thought that it was finally over. Little did I know that we had to write a reflective post on our past challenges, or in other words, a summative post. Honestly, I don’t know how I didn’t see it coming because summative blog posts are the norm in PLP (Performance Learning Program).

The SBC is a worldwide challenge in which students can practice their writing skills. However, this year, due to the pandemic, the SBC has been put on hold. Instead, our class has completed the top 10 challenges over the course of a couple weeks. Today I’ll be discussing some of the challenges I have worked on.

What is “Dear Evan Hansen”?

Day 3 of the SBC was definitely my favourite one. Our class was given the freedom to blog about a topic of our choosing… with a catch. We needed to demonstrate our capability of inserting media such as images, videos, and a PDF into our blog.

In this post, I discussed my favourite musical, “Dear Evan Hansen”. As mentioned in my post, “The show portrays themes that many people, especially teenagers, resonate with; such as anxiety, depression, or suicidal thoughts. Although those topics may be unsettling to some, I believe that many of the songs are more light hearted than some may originally think, and that the lyrics do have some important messages such as “You are not alone.”

Fun with Photos… or should I say Teachers?

For “Day 4” of the Student Blogging Challenge, we were instructed to use a copyright free photo and explain how it connects to an aspect of our worldview… For this post, I have chosen to represent knowledge.” In other words, I had decided to show my worldview through a drawing I made of my French teacher this year.

Music

“Music is everywhere. It’s a universal and important part of culture that people around the globe can listen and connect to, including myself.”

I struggled a lot with Day 6 of the SBC. We were required to write about 3 music related prompts, which I found difficult. Like, I knew what I needed to write, I just struggled with how to write it in a captivating way. At the end of the day, I ended up writing about the clarinet, a music survey, and a playlist of my favourite songs.

Nolan’s Journey to Frog Land – An Emoji Story

“Ah yes, emojis. For Day 7 of the Student Blogging Challenge 2021, we were tasked to write a story based off of emojis. The emojis we had to write a story based off of were randomly chosen using a site called byrdseed.com. I personally find emojis creepy, but I ended up enjoying this challenge far more than I had originally anticipated.” 

Christmas!

“Warm mugs of hot chocolate, the slight chill of morning frost, and bells ringing with joy… Christmas is truly my favourite time of the year.”

Day 9 of the SBC was likely my second most favourite challenge. We had to write about a holiday or festivity we celebrate. If you hadn’t already guessed, I chose to write about Christmas. Within this post, I discuss Christmas crafts, traditions, and religion. Be sure to give it a look!

Art! Art! Art!

Day 10 was not only my most recent post, but also the one I enjoyed writing the most. In this challenge, we were given a free choice to write about a topic of our choosing. I wrote about 3 art pieces I have completed in the past.

Although I feel mostly “burnt out” from all the writing, I do plan to continue blogging in the future. As a PLP learner, it is mandatory to complete summative blog posts follow each project. However, we are also given the freedom to blog about other learning opportunities that we have experienced, which I am personally looking forward to. I feel that there is an important difference in the result, when completing a task because it’s required of you and completing a task because you want to.

In the future, I’m looking forward to blogging about…

• artwork
  • musical theatre
  • fictional stories
  • holidays and celebrations

Participating in the SBC was quite challenging for me. I’m personally not used to the frequency of writing that was required in order to complete each day. However, I feel that the struggle is part of the learning experience itself, because if every task I complete is easy, I won’t be learning as much as I would if I had struggled. If you have the time and attitude to complete the SBC, I would totally recommend for others to participate in it next year. Thanks for reading!

Growth Mindset!

Source.

“A person who never made a mistake never tried anything new.”Albert Einstein

A growth mindset is a way of thinking that could help expand your potential in daily activities. From what I understand, people with a growth mindset understand that they have room for improvement, acknowledge that, and then take the necessary steps in order to do so. Those with a fixed mindset that their skills, abilities and talents are ingrained from birth, and unchangeable. During the past month, our class has been discussing the difference between a growth mindset and a fixed mindset, and what we can do in order to think with the former.

I theorize that the reason why people may have a fixed mindset is because many find it hard to acknowledge and express their weaknesses. I also believe that people with a fixed mindset may think that way because it’s scary to put your all into something only to mess up or fail. It’s easier if you could just blame your failures on something you can’t change like the lack of a talent or a trait that is unchangeable. 

Source.

Those who have a growth mindset understand that talent isn’t always an inborn trait. They know that if they work hard, learn from their mistakes, and keep trying, they will improve. It’s important to understand that making mistakes or even failing is part of what makes us human. It’s also important to know that learning from your mistakes is an important part of improving or working towards success.

Over the past month, our class has completed small “challenges” regarding the topic of a growth mindset. During this time, we have compiled our work into journals. You can find my journal attached here.

Although I don’t feel as if I always have a growth mindset, I do think that I have the necessary understanding and knowledge in order to maintain a growth mindset within my future tasks. Speaking of which, I have made a “growth mindset selfie” with a statement that explains my academic goal for the school year.

No matter how hard we may try, it’s inevitable we’ll make a mistake sooner or later. It’s important that instead of feeling ashamed or even embarrassed about it, that we take the time to reflect and learn from it instead. However, we don’t always have to make a mistake in order to learn. 

Failure opens up an opportunity of learning; every time we remain embarrassed or frustrated by our own mistakes, we lose an important opportunity. That is a failure in itself.

Art! Art! Art!

Greetings! As mentioned in my previous posts, our class has been working on the Student Blogging Challenge. For Day 10, we have been given a free choice! In other words, this means we have the opportunity to blog about a topic of our choosing. I have chosen to blog about some of the art pieces I have created– most of which were made during 2020.

This is an art piece I made of my friend, Claire. (If I’m being honest, I feel like her face in this drawing looks more like Ben Platt than her actual face.) This drawing was made during the final months of 2020. I met her a few months ago during French class, and she was actually the first friend I made during high school, so I just had to draw her.

Claire is really into worms on a string for reasons of which I do not know. At this point, I’m too scared to ask. So, if you’re wondering what that “squiggly thing with googly eyes” is on the right side of the drawing, that’s a worm on a string.

Without a string.

Do not ask what happened to the string.

Trust me, you really do not want to know.

Here’s a drawing I made during quarantine of some of my pet birds. The one on the left is named Jade, and the one on the right is named Ray. 

Although Jade died in a horrid ceiling fan incident, she still lives on in my memories… or something cheesy and cliche like that.

I liked to call Ray my ray of sunshine. He died on a particularly hot summer day… or at least I think that was his cause of death. He might’ve been sick. I really do not know. I miss him a lot.

Any who, I drew this for my mom a few days after Jade had died. I like to think that it made her smile, and maybe still does.

This is a drawing I made for school! We had to draw how we were feeling, and I chose to draw a trash can. I feel that the fact I had chosen to draw a trash can instead of garbage itself really says something about my thought process.

If I’m being honest, I had considered drawing a toilet too. The trash can won, obviously. Mr. Trash Can-Sama is superior. Foolish mortals.

Our teachers had encouraged us to trace over pictures for this activity. I felt guilty whilst doing so. My inner artist was screaming “COPYRIGHT! PLAGIARISM! THE ART COMMUNITY WILL BEHEAD YOU LIKE HOW KING HENRY VIII DID TO TWO OF HIS SIX WIVES.” Anyways, since I’m now posting this trash can drawing online, I guess it would be plagiarism if it wasn’t a stock photo. At least, I don’t think it’s plagiarism in this case. Copyright confuses me to no end, no matter how many times I research about it.

I hope that you enjoyed reading about my artwork as much as I enjoyed writing about it. Feel free to comment about what you think down below!

Related post: What is “Dear Evan Hansen?”

Christmas!

Warm mugs of hot chocolate, the slight chill of morning frost, and bells ringing with joy… Christmas is truly my favourite time of the year. 

“Wait a moment… It’s the beginning of March, not the holiday season!”

That is indeed correct! However, you know as they say, there’s never a better time to talk about Christmas than a quarter into the year! If you have been reading my latest posts, you have likely heard of the “Student Blogging Challenge.” As a part of Student Blogging Challenge Day 9, we are to write a blog post about a holiday or festivity we take part in. 

Holidays are something that people all around the globe celebrate. From Halloween, Thanksgiving, or even your own birthday; these celebrations are a time when people can rejoice together and celebrate our cultural traditions. For this blogging challenge, I will  be discussing a holiday craft and some of my family’s Christmas celebrations. 

I absolutely love celebrating Christmas with my family.  Did you know that Filipinos start celebrating this holiday as early as September? My parents are from the Philippines, and because of such, I always get messages from relatives regarding Christmas during the early months of fall.

Traditionally, my family and I would attend the “midnight mass” that our parish offers. This is a service that is traditionally offered on Christmas Eve. Although we weren’t able to attend last year due to COVID-19 restrictions; these late night masses are likely one of my fondest childhood memories. During this time, the Church is already decorated in an abundance of Christmas decorations. 

The weeks starting late November, leading up to Christmas, are known as Advent in the Liturgical calendar. During this time, there is a tradition of lighting an object known as an Advent wreath. There are four candles on this wreath; three of which are purple and one that is pink. The first candle is lit on the first Sunday of Advent (typically during mass), the second candle is lit a week later, and so on. Oftentimes, there is a white candle at the center of this wreath, which is usually lit on Christmas Eve or Christmas day. Although my family doesn’t have an Advent wreath, I do enjoy watching as the Advent wreath my parish uses gradually lights up over time.

Also, like many others, my family exchanges gifts with one another on Christmas day. Although there isn’t much I can give them due to the fact I’m a minor and anything I want to “buy” for my them is really coming from their own money, I started giving others handmade cards for this holiday. 

This also brings me to today’s other topic: a holiday craft! Around the year 2018, when I actually gained a real interest in arts and crafts, I began crafting Christmas cards for friends and family alike. Even though I don’t actually have photographs of cards I have made in the past for others, I have recorded the making of a few for this blog post! Typically, I would paint the cards, but today I’m using markers due to the fact I ran out of proper “watercolour paper” over quarantine. 

You can watch my video here:

Christmas is a time full of tradition and celebration, for myself and many others. The connection people share through traditional festivities is an important part of our worldview! This also connects to a recent project we completed on Worldview and History. Despite our differences in culture, many societies all around the world celebrate Christmas, and that’s part of why I love this holiday. 

Now that you know Christmas is my favourite holiday, feel free to comment yours!

How It Started… How It’s Going

Many events of the past have impacted our worldview today. According to Learn Alberta, “Worldview is ‘the ‘lens’ through which the world is viewed by an individual or group.” Our worldview is shaped through multiple factors, some of which may connect to historical events– which brings us to this project’s driving question:

What can we learn from the past, and why does it matter to us today?

“How it’s Going/ How it Started” is a meme that originated on Twitter during late 2020, and also the title of this Humanities project. Our class used this meme to compare the worldview of those in the Medieval and Renaissance times to our worldview today.

However, in order to do so, we had to learn about various historical events first before drawing a conclusion as to what the worldview of those of the past may have been like. We also had to establish what was “Historically Significant”, as it was a Curricular Competency for this project. This means that we had to make the decision of what was and was not worth remembering based on the historical events we reviewed in class.

An example of such are the Medieval Ages, which were a time of suffering for many. The society of this time followed a hierarchy. Those who were born into a rank, stayed in the rank. Millions of peasants were exploited and stripped of their freedom. Despite the suffering of this era, agriculture improved tremendously. Consequently, the economy rose as well as the population.

There was also the Renaissance (meaning rebirth) era, which lasted from the 14th to 17th century. This was the start of new faith in the effort of humanity, along with growth of influence and size amongst many towns. Due to the fact this was a time filled with more leisure and money, appreciation of artwork began to heighten. Florence and Venice were two of the most notable Italian cities during the Renaissance. A family known as the Medici’s grew in power during this time, using the fortune they made as wool and silk merchants, as well as bankers. Under this family’s control, Florence launched attacks on a number of other city states, including Siena.

At the start of this project, we also discussed what makes a good museum. Here is my work for Milestone 1, in which we were to create a museum exhibit for a meme we made. This meme was supposed to compare how we felt about the start of school year compared to when we began this project in early February. This Milestone also connects to a Core Competency known as Empowered Learner; meaning one who makes use of technology efficiently in order to represent and build knowledge.

A visual I made of the 7 Aspects of Worldview.

As mentioned prior, there are several aspects through which factor our worldview: Geography, Society, Beliefs, Values, Knowledge, Economy, and Time. Our class also made a collage and summary explaining historically significant events that happened to ourselves in our lives, and how those events affected our worldview.
Worldview Collages: Museum Companion

Ms. Maxwell, one of our teachers, then combined our work into a book. Scroll through to find my collage! Unfortunately, I made my summary far too long, so I had to narrow it down for this assignment. You can find my original summary here! For this project, we were also separated into groups for each aspect of worldview. I was part of the Time group, along with Alfie, Cooper, Dylan, Luca, and Nolan. My responsibility in this group was to ensure that everyone was on task, whilst completing my own work.

Together as a group, we agreed that “Our worldview aspect can be explained as the way the duration of events are measured. It can also be seen as how time is viewed by a society, meaning mechanically (clocks) or naturally (where the sun is in the sky).”

We also had to design “How it Started/How it’s Going” memes to compare our worldview to those of the past. Our class then combined all our memes into a virtual museum. Here is our museum room design that our room designer, Alfie, and techie, Nolan, collaborated on.

You can also find our class’ virtual museum here:

For my Time Worldview meme, I chose a painting of “Christine and the Sybil pointing to a ladder from the heavens”, from the Book of the Queen, France (Paris), c. 1410-1414, Harley. On the left side of this image, is an unedited version of the painting. Meanwhile, on the right side is my representation of how Time has since changed in my worldview today.

There were two aforementioned Curricular Competencies for this project, “Empowered Learner”, and “Establish Historical Significance.”

As stated earlier, an Empowered Learner is a student who uses technology in their learning in order to build their knowledge. Even though in PLP (Performance Learning Program) we use iPads and technology in class, there’s a difference between using technology to learn as well as to represent learning, and simply just using technology. Throughout this project, we made use of technology to learn about the worldview of those in the Medieval and Renaissance eras, as well as our own. We also represented our learning through our Worldview collages and museum exhibition.

To Establish Historical Significance means to decide what from the past is important to remember today, as priorly explained. This means that instead of remembering every single detail and date, we should instead summarize and focus on the important details. Our class used technology to Establish Historical Significance for Milestone 3, a history test we completed in class. If you’re familiar with how PLP and PBL (Project Based Learning) works, you’re likely aware of how rare official tests are during classes. For this test, we took the knowledge we gained through reading text about the Medieval Age, Renaissance, and Crusades in order to connect one aspect of our worldview to the worldview of those of the past and our own worldview.

In conclusion, there are a number of lessons from the Renaissance and Medieval ages which have and will continue to influence our worldview; or the way we view the world. The lessons we learn from the past impact our worldview in many different ways. Whether it be through our values, beliefs, society, geography, knowledge, economy, or even the way we view time– it is certain that the worldview of those of the past as well as the present are connected through these aspects. The actions of those in the past affect our views and morals. This is what highlights the importance of understanding and learning about the actions of others before us.

After all, if we remained ignorant to the mistakes and actions of those who came before our era, how will we ever learn?

Ah yes, emojis. For Day 7 of the Student Blogging Challenge 2021, we were tasked to write a story based off of emojis. The emojis we had to write a story based off of were randomly chosen using a site called byrdseed.com. I personally find emojis creepy, but I ended up enjoying this challenge far more than I had originally anticipated.

For my story, I have chosen to use the Story Spine. This is a method used for storytelling, that we have also been inspired by Pixar, to use in class. My teacher, Ms. Maxwell, has also used this method for her Emoji Story.

Here are the emojis I’ll be using for my story: 😲🚉🐸🙈🍙🚑 🚎

Nolan’s Journey to Frog Land

Once upon a time… 😲

There was a boy named Nolan. He was passionate about many things however, his heart belonged to the species known as frogs, and enjoyed everything and anything to do with these amphibians. Nolan was very surprised to hear that a wonder such as the amusement park, Frog Land, had existed.

Every day… 🚉

Nolan would restlessly count his savings until he had enough to travel to Frog Land and back. He had wanted to take a bus to Frog Land, but there were only train stations in his area. Dismayed, Nolan was close to giving up his dreams of ever seeing Frog Land.

One day… 🐸

Through countless hours of research, Nolan realized a bus on its way to Frog Land was soon to travel through his city. After contacting the bus driver, Mr. Toad, he received approval to board on the bus for a fee.

Because of that… 🙈

Nolan rushed to Frog Rd., the area in which he was to board the bus to Frog Land. However, he froze in his steps as he noticed a very peculiar sight. It was… a monkey with its hands over its eyes? As he looked closer, he realized it was a poster board in front of a Japanese restaurant. He then realized that the employees were giving out free food samples at the front of the store.

Because of that… 🍙

He raced to the storefront and sampled some onigiri. After all, a snack for the road couldn’t hurt, right? Suddenly, almost as if the frog deities had a sense of irony, Nolan started breaking out in hives. He was seemingly allergic to something inside of the onigiri.

Because of that… 🚑

The young boy called an ambulance and he was rushed to the hospital. Luckily, the paramedics got to him in time. Unfortunately, all the money Nolan spent on his ticket to Frog Land was wasted.

Until finally… 🚎

The bus he was supposed to board on his way to Frog Land seemed to be outside of his hospital window. Mr. Toad had waited for him! Nolan was absolutely happy, and nothing could dampen his mood. He was finally on his way to Frog Land.

La Fin!

I must say, that is the most random story I have ever written. I still feel that this writing challenge was overall enjoyable, and I would recommend for others to give it a go. I found that it was somewhat difficult to connect the emojis since they were literally randomized, but in the end, my ideas sort of “clicked” together. Also, I named my story’s protagonist after my classmate, Nolan, (with permission, of course) so be sure to check out his blog!

Thanks for reading!

Related post: Fun with Photos… or should I say Teachers?