Chemistry Coding

Hello everyone! Welcome to my blog post, in this blog post I will explain my newest scimatics project! Chemistry coding! In this project, we were told to create a game or simulator that represents the different states of matter and how the atoms and molecules react to them. As always, here’s the driving question! How can the behaviour of matter be explained by the kinetic molecular theory and atomic theory  first off, we started with a project mind map and some warm up worksheets to show us the basics, then we got to work.      Here’s my project mind map! We are working with this online site called ‘scratch’ which is coding website, we followed many different videos to gain the knowledge we needed to create our simulator or game. Personally, I watched a ping pong tutorial on how to code a ping pong game, because it had a similar coding to what I would need to code for my atoms and molecules.   We were introduced to different controls that would help our coding, along with how to properly  code. The first diagram is of my original coded game, ping pong, I did this so I would have a better understanding of how to code the next step, my simulation. As you can see, they are both fairly similar in their coding.   Here are the curricular competencies Questioning and predicting: questioning and predicting were done in the beginning stage when we made a mind map! we were told to write down things we already knew along with things we would like to know/ learn throughout the project. Scientific communication: scientific communication was used when working with someone else and creating in scratch on the days we were allowed to work in partners. The communication helped people have more knowledge and inspiration for what to do with their final project. Reasoning and analyzing: this skill was shown when the final scratch simulation was created, to show a good understanding of the project, reasoning with the wins and failures of our first attempts to make a greater final result.   thank you for reading!!    

The More Things Change

Dear readers, welcome to my blog post!

In this post, we will talk about the most recent project we’ve been given, ‘The More Things Change’ as always, here’s our driving question

“What Did European Settlement Mean For Those Involved”

Now, let’s unpack this.

Our first milestone was a reflection of Deep Cove. We listened to a lecture about the continuity and change about Deep Cove, and were told to write about it, our paragraph including things such as:

• at least one specific example of continuity in place
  • at least one specific example of change in place
  • one example of progress or decline
  • one opinion on positive or negative change
  • creative connection to the writer and discussion of personal experience of continuity and change

We were given twenty minutes.

Our next milestone was all about continuity and change, personally, I think this milestone was very helpful in our learning process.

How were lives and conditions alike over time and how did they change for one group of people at the time of New France?

That was the question for our second milestone. This milestone taught us further knowledge  about what continuity and change was.

Each group was given one column to fill out, then the group was told to split up and discuss with other groups so we could get full answers for our other columns!

By the time we hit our third milestone, we were shown our infographs and we began our blue print process. Our infographs must include the following:

1 Fact about First Nations people + Graphic to Support
• 1 Fact about the British settlers during European Exploration + Graphic to Support
• 1 Fact about the French during European Exploration + Graphic to Support
• 1 Statement about Continuity and Change from New France to today + Graphic to Support
• Thesis Statement
• Author Names

With this, we were given one infograph template that we were barely allowed to change.

Our fourth milestone was very similar to our third, we had to use peer critique and feedback further our current infograph, and switch around our graphics if the need be.

Finally our fifth milestone! For our fifth milestone, we had to explain our infograph in a video format, as well as printing out, and posting our infographs all over the walls of seycove school walls.

Here is my partner and I’s inf0grtaphic! It is double sided so people outside can see it as well.

that concludes my blog post for this project, so I hope you enjoyed reading, have an amazing day.

Argh, Matey!

Hello everyone! Welcome back to my blog post! Today, we will be talking about one of the more recent projects, Argh, Matey!!

As always, here is our driving question: What Was The Impact Of Global Exploration?

Well, if you continue to read my blog post, I’m sure you’ll figure out!

first off, we watched a movie entitled ‘Captain Phillips’ while I wasn’t here to watch it in class, I watched it at home with my mother! Another beginning thing we  learned about was cause and consequence. (And were told to answer a question sheet about thr movie concerning cause and consequence)The movie ‘Captain Phillips’ was about a captain named Phillip, delivering cargo to Africa with his crew. While he was on his cargo-ship in Somalian waters, his boat was attacked by pirates.

After that, things started getting interesting! For our first milestone, we had to create a story using cause and consequence using this interesting app called AR makr! (My story was about some fish and a shark)

After learning all about cause an consequence, we spent the second half of the day learning about pirates and European exploration. A day later we learned a little more before making a ‘Sketch and Tell’ document.

The day after that we spent learning all about European exploration and (possibly my favourite part of this project) learning how to take Cornell notes!

After that, we headed  into milestone three where we were to choose an event in history and create a story using the Story Spine to explain said story. As well as a rough sketch, and later a script.

after that it was off to AR makr where we took our rough sketches and made them moveable pieces of art! Once we were finished filming that, we got to do a voice recording using the script we created earlier on!

Now onto the most fun part, we got pirate packs!! Yep, our whole 8th grade PLP class sat outside and ate fries and chicken strips, it was great.

Thank you for reading my blog post!

Growth Mindset

Hello! Welcome to my blog post! In todays blog post, we are going to discuss the growth mindset book that we have been working on all throughout the process of your other projects.

While working on this book, we would talk about many different, and surprising things. Such as why failure is actually a good thing, and the definition of grit. (To be further explained later.)

With each page we answered three different questions

This is a good example of this: 

Because of this project, I have a slightly more growth mindset then I did before we started this. Though I’ve definitely heard of growth mindset before, its never been explained in such depth before. 

Now, time to explain why failure is a good thing. Just because you failed at something, doesn’t mean you can never try again. Failure is a first attempt in learning and whether you fail or not, you’re still trying. The more you try at something, the less likely you’re like to fail, especially if you’ve already failed, you’re less likely to fail at the same thing twice.

Thank you for reading my blog post! Have a good day!

Destination Imagination

Hello everyone! Welcome to my blog post about one of our more recent projects, Destination Imagination! (Or DI for short) now this project was pretty interesting, so let me tell you about it!

Okay, so to begin this interesting journey, we got to choose between four different DI topics, I got fine arts! In the fine arts group, we were given the task to create a music video based off a piece of literature! Now in the beginning I was excited for this, but I quickly learned that this would be more difficult than I thought it would be. 

We were put into groups, my group members consisted of Julia, Landon, Cole, Sara, Ben, and Dana. 

Along with coming up with a music video based off a piece of literature, we also had ‘Instant challenges’ where we would have around three minutes to use whatever materials our teachers gave us to create something within a strict criteria given to us by the teachers. 

Back to our music video. After a lot of consideration, our group decided on doing the book ‘the lion, the witch, and the wardrobe’, and naming our group the narnians, but after a turn of events, we ended up using the book ‘Alice in Wonderland’ (Personally, I like ‘Alice in Wonderland’ a lot more than ’The Lion the Witch and the Wardrobe’ but the name and the story were very confusing considering they are two different stories, but oh well) 

After we made our final decisions, we got to work. First, we decided on characters, I was the chesire cat! With Julia as Alice, Cole as the white rabbit, Sara as the tea party rabbit, Landon as a talking flower and Dana as a waiter, we were ready to work on scripts. 

Sara wrote the lyrics, and I wrote the script. Landon and Cole were in charge of music, Julia and Dana came up with a lot of major ideas and Ben had costume ideas.

While working on our movie creation, we also had to work within a budget for costumes and materials. So we decided to make our main focus costume Alice’s costume, putting the most money and effort into her costume.

Now I bet you want to go to see the lyrics, huh? Well, wait no longer!

Alice:.

What’s that I hear,

Singing in my ear,

Open the gate,

Sit in the chair

Steam rising up,

teapots to the air

A birthday song,

A party of two,

They sit and sing,

Like two chums would do…

(The birthday song thingy)

Alice:

Do they know

I’m in this chair

They can’t see

My bright blonde hair?

Bunny, talking: oh yes we do

And I would love 

To have a cup

And I feel

My heart fill up

With longing

To make myself clear

And shout

To say I’m here

Cheshire Cat: yes you are

(Birthday sing thingy)

I’d love have a

Friendship like that

A strange pairing

Rabbit and man with a hat

But nevertheless 

They seem to be

The best of friends

Would they like me?

*Talking piece*

Bunny: Tea for you, tea for me, 

Herbal, green and raspberry! 

Drinking tea is just sublime

Good for any mealtime!

*More talking*

Alice: But before I go on

I should know the way

So im not just gone

To wander all day

So can have a map?

Just to know

Where to go ?

*draws map*

Thank you!

I bet you’d also like to see our video, well, here you go: click this link!

Now, DI wasn’t all I IMAGINED (haha, destination imagination pun…) it to be, but it was still enjoyable. So if you enjoy a good team challenge, I’d suggest it to you!

That’s the end of my blog post! Thank you so much for reading, have a lovely day!

Student Blogging challenge.

Hey! Guys, guess what? This is the last blogging challenge we have to do! Not gonna lie, I’m kinda sad. The blogging challenge was fun, but oh well. In this blog post i’m going to be reflecting on all that we’ve done so far!

In the beginning of this challenge, we started off updating our “About Me’ pages, since well, I’m sure we’ve all changed since the beginning of September, I know I have.

Next up, we learned how to comment! Leaving quality comments on other people’s blogs, though it was slightly challenging because we weren’t allowed to comment on fellow grade 8’s blog posts. So we were pushed out of our comfort zones to comment on other PLP student’s blog posts.

Day three, on day three we learned how to embed content into a blog post, we did this by writing about a topic that interested us, then embedding content about it. For me, I chose Mötley Crüe, an 80s glam metal band.

On day four, we got to do some drawing!  We were told to draw something that related to our worldview in some way, I chose geography and values, by doing that, I drew a forest to represent the beautiful place we live.

Day five was pretty fun, on our fifth day, we learned about widgets! Widgets added a little bit of character to our blog by allowing us to add pictures, calendars, globes, view counts so much more. Personally, I added a calendar and a frog picture, because I love frogs and calendars are always nice.

Day six! Possibly my favourite day our of the entire blogging challenge, it was about music! One of my favourite topics to talk about. In this blog post I talked about David Bowie, guitar, and made a playlist of my favourite David Bowie songs! This post was my favourite because it gave me an excuse to rant about one of my favourite musicians, and instruments! 

Day seven. On day seven, we were introduced to a random emoji generator and told to write a story based on the emojis. At first I wasn’t that excited about specific blogging challenge, but it turned out to be really fun, especially since I took some inspiration from a former summer vacation trip to help write my short story.

Day eight, on day eight. We were told to write a blog post on our most recently finished project,  ‘How It Started/How Its Going’

Day nine, Celebrations and festivals! On this day we were told to talk about holiday traditions that our families celebrate, or just to talk about why we like said holiday, along with a poem about one of the holidays we chose, I chose Christmas!

That concludes my blog posts for the student blogging challenge! I hope you enjoyed learning about the challenges! 

Worldview Summative Post

Hello everyone and welcome to my summative post on my ‘How it Started/How it’s Going’ project, as always we started with a driving question.

What can we learn from the past and why does that matter to us today?

In this post I will be reflecting on what was done in this project!

Before beginning this project, I didn’t even know what the term ‘Worldview’ even meant! So I found this project rather informative.

We started off our learning process with a list of things we need to know about what world view is. Worldview, in simple terms is how you view certain world aspects! This can effect, and shape a person greatly. Most people in North America have what is called a western worldview.

After we spent some time learning about what a western worldview is, we were also introduced to the 7 aspects of worldview which are: Beliefs, Geography, Knowledge, Society, Economy, Values, and Time. Each of these aspects make up your worldview.

During this project I learned a lot about what a western  Worldview was, and how it effects everyone who falls under it, whether they fully realize it or not. Hmm almost like a subliminal message… wonder where I’ve heard that before. 

I think this project was one of the bigger projects we’ve done so far this year, though that doesn’t make it less interesting. It required a lot o team work which always makes for a different journey in projects, always more creative when you have more than one mind working on something.

The part of this project that really made me stop and think was when we created our collages. I found it somewhat difficult to find events that effected my worldview today! But the more I listened and thought about it, the more I began to understand that there a many events that could’ve helped shape my worldview today.

Thank you for reading my How it ‘Started/How its Going’ reflection! 

Worldview!

Hello and welcome to blog! Today we will be talking about our most recent socials project about world view. During this project we talked a lot about the medieval and renaissance times and how a lot of things have changed since then.

To better our understanding, we created a brain storm where we expanded our knowledge on each of the aspects of worldview. 

After gaining a decent amount of knowledge on worldview, we were introduced to a meme and museum project, based off those ‘how it started/how its going’ memes you can find on practically any social media. Something that were important to add to our memes was having clothing that gave off a meaning, while still keeping the portrait somewhat original.

For our milestone two assignment. We were told to create a collage that represented our worldview! Here is my collage:

After learning a significant amount about what worldview is, we began our discussions on medieval and renaissance times, while learning about this, we also learned a process of taking notes called cornell notes! A quick and fairly efficient way to take notes.

If you would like to learn more about Cornell notes, click this link!

After all this new knowledge, we finally started to talk about our museums! We were placed into worldview aspect groups and thats what our final portrait would be based around, the aspect you were grouped with. ( I got values.) For this portrait, we each had to choose a piece of art from either the medieval or renaissance times, I chose the renaissance era. Here is my picture!

Here’s what it looked like once I made some edits:

So much cooler, right? Along with this piece of art, we were also asked to create an artists statement. (Explaining why we made the changes we did.)

With all of that in place, we were finally ready to start up our museum. With that in mind, our little worldview aspect groups were decided further into DRIs, writers, art designers, room designers and Flex people. That’s how our museum came together!

This project taught us all about worldview, and how it changed over the course of time, a pretty cool project, if I do say so myself.

Thank you for reading!

Pythagorean theorem Summative Post

Hello, Welcome to my blog post!

Below you will see the driving question for this intriguing project!

How Can We Test The Pythagorean Theorem And Law Of Reflection?

I think one of my favourite parts about this project was the actual building process of the project, but of course to work up to that stage we read multiple textbook pages and completed multiple milestones to fully understand all that we needed to get the final product that we ended up with.

Before I elaborate on this project, here are our key competencies:

Questioning and predicting: Demonstrate a sustained intellectual curiosity about a scientific topic or problem of personal interest

A lot of our Questioning and predicting was done in milestone one, after hearing about the law of reflection my mind was flooded with new questions of how and why. I used questioning and predicting while working on my mind map, also while working with my group to come up with better questions to write down all together.

Communicating and Representing: Represent mathematical ideas in concrete, pictorial, and symbolic forms 

This competency was mainly used in milestone four where we were asked to create a virtual right triangle using an online simulation. I represented mathematical ideas in the fourth milestone while creating a right triangle in the online simulation to represent how we might use the law of reflection with the lasers and mirrors we had in the classroom.

Applying and innovating: Co-operatively design projects

This competency was used in milestones four, five and sixx where we created our final project with our group of four.

I’m sure by now you’re curious to see what our final project looked like, right? Well, here it is: 

Now that you’ve seen it, I’m sure you’d like to hear more about how we got there.  Well, it all started with a mind map, like most of our PLP projects do.

Then, we split into groups of four to expand our questions and share our curiosities. 

That’s when our textbook work came in, and with that knowledge, we were set to start experimenting with a online ray optics simulator to prove we can test the Pythagorean theorem and the law of reflection. 

Along with simply creating a right angled triangle we also had to use our knowledge of the Pythagorean theorem to solve it!

Then we were finally set to complete our final creation.

Thank you for reading my blog post! I hope you found it just as interesting as I found this project.

Tectonic Plates summative post

Hello! Welcome to my blog post, I hope you enjoy learning about my most recent scimatics project. 

How are the thematic and mathematical used in game design?

That is our driving question for this multi step project

In this project we were told to study plate tectonics and how they effected the earth, with that new information obtained, we got to create a board game equipped with a proper set of rules for said game.

Curricular competencies

Evaluating: Demonstrate an understanding and appreciation of evidence

To show my understanding of our topic, I incorporated 10 key science topics based off the information I learned in game cards and board spaces. Each adventure card having an explanation on the back that supported the scientific concepts. This knowledge was learned through text book readings and Q&A work sheets following.

I expressed my curiosity in this topic by spending my class time well, remaining focused on the work in front of me. Though this was a partner project, I believe I ended up doing the majority of the work, and I completed this during class time. I found it fairly easy to stay on topic since I found this project very interesting.

Understanding and solving: Develop, demonstrate, and apply mathematical understanding through play, inquiry, and problem Solving

I explained my knowledge of this by explaining probability in the game instructions set for this plate tectonics game. Giving some clearly calculated examples. This knowledge was learnt near the end of this project when we learned what probability was and how to properly calculate it.

Evidence of learning:

In the beginning of this project, we were told to make a mind map of ideas for how our game, along with what tectonic plates were. 

The first thing we were told to do was get together with another group and discuss how we would incorporate tectonic plates into our games. Here are a few of the early on ideas (please excuse my messy handwriting)  

And the final result of this work:

Thank you for reading my blog post! I hope you enjoyed learning about my most recent project!

1 2