The more things change

Introduction 

This is the last but not least project in PLP this year. It had been so fun and I am sad we had to end it. I really hope we can continue learning next year. So, sad stuff aside this is my summative blog post on the last quarter. This blog will explain everything you need to know about my journey through European settlement and all the people involved.

Answering the driving question

Driving question: What does European settlement mean for all the people involved.

This is what I think the answer to the driving question is: When the Europeans came to North America, they effected lives of Indigenous people that lived there in many different ways. At first, the Europeans influenced their lives positively, however later they took over and basically destroyed their culture. So, European settlement was a continuity but what changed was how they treated the Indigenous people and that effected their lives negatively.  

Launch

Research on the Cove

Here we researched all about the history of the Cove and how it evolved overtime. It was super interesting to learn about where  Seycove came from as well. We also learned about other places in Vancouver and how they started, like Moody Ville. Even though Vancouver isn’t the most ancient society, it is still super interesting to learn how things evolved and changed over time since the first settlers came here.

Building knowledge 

Survival challenge

This is where I met my project partner for the first time and I am pretty sure this was meant to be a a partner building exercise. What we had to do here was to choose a survival tip and make a one minute long video that explains how to use that tip. I was super exited to meet my new partner Max and this was probably my favourite part of this project.

3 groups research

After we finished researching about the Cove, we went back in time and started to research about the three groups who made Canada. The first group we researched about were the French. They were the first Europeans to land in Canada. The next group we researched about were the First Nations, the people who where here first. They were a big help in European settlement. After, we research about the possibly biggest group, the British. The British started the Hudson’s Bay company and eventually created Canada. All of this research really helped me understand the history of Canada and I really loved learning about it.

Life in a colony

This part was another Iron chef where we all had to research about one type of people who had been living in Canada at the time of colonization. There were different types of people and it was important to learn the impact they had on European settlement. I learned about the coureurs de boiswho basically a un licensed traders. I loved this part and thought it was a really fun way of learning who was in the fur trade.

Milestone 2 

For the Milestone 2, we had to make a graph and we were given an example of continuity and change. We then had to use that example and compare it to life in the time of the fur trade and today. We also had to rate its importance out of 5. This was super helpful in getting me to learn about continuity and change. I think this was very important, because it was one of the main things in our project going forward.

Milestone 3

This is when we started our main project. The main project was basically an infographic with some facts, graphics, and a thesis explaining what happened in the time of European settlement. We had to find out what our thesis was and add all three of the facts that where needed.

Develop and critique 

Using evidence

Here I learned how to find and use good evidence. This was really important for me since I will have to use evidence more and more, and finding good evidence is important. This was important when we had to find evidence for our facts in the actual infographic.

How to make an Infographic 

We learned how to make an infographic by listening to an outburst video. This YouTube video helped me learn nine key concepts in making an infographic. The most important ones are: it needs to be simple, the pictures need to explain the writing, and it needs to be pleasing to the eye. This helped me and Max create a better infographic since we understood more on how to make a meaningful infographic. 

Infographic Milestone 4

This is where we finally got to put all our knowledge together and complete our infographic. After a couple of revisions that helped us make our infographic as good as possible, we finally finished and ended up with an amazing infographic.

Info graphic below….

Present and reflect 

script and video

After we finished the infographic we were tasked to make a video with a script that explained the infographic. After we filmed that, we had to post it on YouTube. I learned a lot about making a YouTube video pleasing and how to make a good description. 

YouTube videos…

Core competencies

Identifying continuity and change: I learned in this project how to identify continuity and change in almost every subject. I think this was a super important aspect in my learning since it opened my eyes to different changes and continuities in the world.

Using evidence: Learning about how to find good evidence is very important for any future projects, because I need to know how to find good evidence in order to make the project as well constructed and true as possible. I learned to look for multiple different sites to see which source of evidence is the most stated over all the different sites. Now I know to make sure that the sources people are writing are good and trustworthy sources.

I think that this project taught me a lot about many things in life and I will definitely see the world differently from now on. I cannot wait to for Social Studies 9 where we will learn more about important events in history and how they have made continuities and changes in our life today.

DI

Introduction

DI was one of my favourite projects that we have done so far. Even though it was really hard and at times very challenging for me, we pulled through and created an awesome project. I cannot wait to share with you in this blog post all about the project, about my DI group called ‘The MMM’, known as ‘The Mechanized Mechanical Mechanics’, and how we created one of the coolest videos ever.

Learning the rules

First off, I want to give you a bit of an idea on what Destination Imagination really is. Every single year students are supposed to choose between four different categories: technical, scientific, engineering, and fine arts. Every year they need to come up with new task for each of the categories and have to make something out of it. There is a twist though, it’s not all butterflies and rainbows! There a lot of rules to follow and choices  to make in order not to get disqualified. Our group was the engineering group. In order to make sure we new exactly what our task was and what the rules for that task were, we decided to split off in groups. Each group was responsible to read one section and find out all the things that the section said to do and also all the things that it said not to do.

Planning the building and writing the script

Our task was to create a building that resembles how opposites help each other. Also, we had an option to choose from different building and architectural styles and we were supposed to select one of each. Since the building was supposed to show how opposites attract, we decided to make the architectural style and building style opposites. The most opposite styles we could think off was Renaissance vs Postmodernism. We chose the Renaissance as the architectural style and the Postmodernism as the building style. We all decided to research on one of the two styles to make sure we fully understood how those styles looked. Originally, we were going to make a dome that was half fire-half ice, but at the end we could not build the dome because of time restraints. So, instead, we made a huge rectangular box with one big spike on the top that posed as a movie theatre.  As part of the project, we also had to make a script. I was not really involved in the making of the script, but the story was mainly about old and young people settling their differences to make a wonderful work of art.

Creating the video

Another task was to creat a video. When we created the video, we had to give everyone an equal part in the play. Since the play was based around old and young people fighting, we decided to have acting roles such as one old person, two young people, and one millennial in the video. There was also one narrator and two builders. I was given the role of the first young person. The story started with two people deciding to build a community recreation center for an entire town to enjoy. They didn’t really know how to make everyone happy, so they decided to try mixing two opposite art styles, postmodern and renaissance, for their design of the building. Even though the design was really nice, the mix of the art styles was not enough for the old and the two young people. They decided to add a new part of the building, a theatre. This was a big mistake! They wanted old and young people to engage with each other, so they chose to make a giant basketball court that everyone can go to play games on. After the video had been recorded, one of my team members edited it and added sound effects. The video turned out to be awesome! I had so much fun acting this out and would love to do it again.

In conclusion, I hope we have a project like this again and that in the next DI project I will be able to create something extremely cool. This project was very challenging and really helped me realize how competitive DI is. 

Link to video…

Growing midset

Hi my name is Samuel and in this blog post I am going to show you I will be going over one of the most recent projects that PLP has taken up the growth mindset challenge. Before I get in to to what I disliked, liked and learned from this project I wanna go over what we learned. We had to take part in lessons that miss Willemse taught us these lessons helped us better understand how to grow our growth mindset. Some of These included learning about learning from failure and always having growth mindset not a fixed mindset. The growth and fixed mindset was probably the main part of what we learning so I want to explain what they are. A growth mindset is basically constantly trying to get better at things a not just giving up because your not good enough. It can also go the other way many people start thinking there’s no more space for them to improve in there mindset and stop improving because of that. A fixed mind set is basically when you stop having a growth mind set you give up and decide there is nothing more for you to learn your not good enough and will never be good enough. If you have a fixed mindset you will never succeed in your life due to your inability to get stronger and better at different subjects.

Now I want to go over what I liked, disliked and learned about this project. First off what I liked, I really liked how real and life changing this project is. By helping me grow a better growth mindset I am now able to get better at not only school but other things in my life like friends, sports and other sort of things. We did many projects where we tried to connect our lives to a growth mindset and even set goals inside of school to get make our worth ethic and grades skyrocket. Now on to what I disliked, there wasn’t really anything that I dislike because this project was generally fun and I learned a lot about a growth mindset. I wouldn’t change anything about this project and would love to learn more about it. Now on to what I learned, I learned a lot from this project including what a growth mindset is, how to learn from failure, how to grow your brain and other such sort of things. Like I said before all of these things connected to the main lesson of this project how can we grow our growth mindset. This project was super fun and I learned so much in my personal life and my school life.

We also made a growth mindset journal. This is basically a summary of everything we did

A new book

and here’s the growth mindset selfie

Arghh matey

Launch

Captain Phillips

On the first day of this project we watched a movie called captain Phillips which taught us about modern day piracy and how one captain survived it. After watching the very long and intense movie we had to answer some interesting questions.

AR maker/milestone 1

As soon as we started this project we looked at AR maker. First we did some rediscovering whith keynote and then learned how to use this new tool called AR maker. Basically With AR maker you can draw or place images into an app which will place those images on to a flat surface. We were tasked to brainstorm a story using a story spine and then use AR maker to make it in real life.

Building knowledge

Research

First we researched about Christopher Columbus, prince Henry and Vasco da Gama. These people where some of the biggest innovators and explorers to help start the Columbus exchange and possibly the biggest discovery in history the Americas. We then moved on to learn about how innovations in boats that where made to help travel across sea to long far of places like India or the Americas. After that we looked at one of the most important parts of the age of exploration the columbian exchange. Basically the exchange between the americas and Europe. We also learned about pirates and all the mischief they got into.

Iron chef

Are teachers made us play this game called iron chef where we get judged for our research on a certain explorer. Luckily we also got to judge other people. We all got to choose one judge out of a choice of judges, all with different personalities. This was super fun and would love to do it again.

Web of cause and consequences 

Here we had to make a web of causes of consequences that showed how the age of exploration started and how it affects our lives all the way up to today. This was pretty interesting and i really like the way a web of cause and consequences works.

Develop and critique

Soon after the web of cause and consequences we had to make an AR video explaing the web of cause and consequences. I had to draw like 40 pictures but when I finally finished I think that my AR video was awesome.

I loved this project so much and really loved learning about pirates and the age of exploration. I hope that we get to lean about other historical events like the age of exploration or the Middle Ages again.

link to my video….

The first empire

Ancient Mesopotamia was one of the first civilizations and would soon create the first empire.

Ancient Mesopotamia was situated between the Tigress and Euphrates rivers. It started many of the everyday things we use today such as the wheel, the written language, and sadly, taxes. Ancient Mesopotamia was called Sumer and was made up of many city states some of which are Ur, Uruk, and Akkad. These city states all helped each other and had the same religion.

After different enemy states had a couple of wars, one of the states rose up, the city of Kish ruled by Sargon the Great. The city of Kish defeated its northern neighbour city state Akkad and named it as it’s capital since it was exactly in the spot where the Tigress and Euphrates rivers where the closest. He eventually took over all of Sumeria and ruled for more than a half of century. He established a dynasty that was after his death ruled by his grandson Naran-Sin. After he came to power, Naram-Sin took over the kingdom of Eelam, which is modern-day Iran. He then went up and conquered the civilization of Marrie, modern-day Syria. Sadly, after he died, his dynasty died with him.  

Akkad was unknown and least studied from the Sumerian city states. Many people believe the reason for that was constant rebellion raids and extreme drought. Even though Akkadians are now not alive, their civilization had an impact on building a first world empire, and therefore huge impact on the way history played out.

Christmas

Every christmas my family and I( grandfathers, grandmothers, aunts, uncles, and cousins) get together to have a Christmas party. This party consists of two dinners, one on Christmas Eve and one on Christmas Day. The first one on Christmas Eve is at my house. This is because we are really good at making appies and main courses that are part of a four course meal. Most of these courses are from Swiss or Slovakian traditional meals. At my cousins’ house we have the typical turkey dinner and a giant dessert.

Now, I am going to to explain how we feast at my house. The first thing we must do is prepares the food. My dad gets ready a soup called sauerkraut soup, which might sound too sour or gross in other words, but it is not. It is not sour at all because the way you make it you take all the sour stuff out of the soup and put spicy Italian sausages in it. The next big thing on our list is fish. We have lots of cool fish. Sometimes we have salmon which is my favourite. We also love snitchels. Every person in my family has been eating snitchels since they were children. At the end, our family always have some fondue or rocclete.

When the people come to my house they normally start to sit down and my dad or mom offers everyone some coffee  or tee. After they all sit down and talk. Me and my cousins go inside and play video games and watch Marvel or Star Wars movies. When we eat, we always start with the soup since it is always first. Then we eat the cake which is made by all of the family. Our family’s favourite type of cake is called tiramisu. After this we put the fondue in the middle of the table and eat it and after that we open half of our Christmas  presents.

Now, I am going to explain how we do it in my cousins’ house. We normally have the turkey or ham dinner. Our aunt makes the gravy according to what meat we are having but I enjoy the turkey dinner the most. Our aunt always makes very yummy brussel sprouts with bacon bits and cheese. We also get to have some really nice tater tots. After that we have dessert which is a pie with ice cream and lots of toppings like gummies and sprinkles.

Christmas is one of my favourite holidays and I am looking forward to all of it again this year!

By Samuel Klose

emojis

There was once was a boy named Jacob jones he was a smart man and grew up in the wrong places. He oftentimes got into trouble and had to pickpocket to get by. He was great at escapes and had already been caught twenty times but escaped each time. So the police department put their best man on the case a man named Connor O’Leary. Connor decided to pull off a trick. He acted like he wanted to buy one of Jacob’s stolen items and told him to meet him outside an abandoned building. Jacob accepted and was caught right in the act. He went to a high-security prison that said no one could escape. He knew he had to escape so he started to develop a plan. He would trick one of the guards. He told one of the guards if he could help with maintenance and put a maintenance suit on. He then started to collect some of the materials from the maintenance room and managed to make a saw. He cut his way out of the bars and ran for a train. He had a problem the train was in the middle of nowhere so he had to walk miles but couldn’t make it and eventually collapsed onto the floor.

how its started how its going

Introduction

I think this project is one of the projects that has gotten me thinking the most. We learned so much about medieval and renaissance times. This project really set the path for some really interesting thoughts that occurred to me. I now realize the thousands of different things that affect my worldview every day thanks to this project.  

Launch

First meme

This is where we looked at the main idea of the project for the first time, and it was a really nice way to kick of the project. Here we had to create a before and after meme. It had to be something that showed a change in everyone’s life. For my before picture, I found a picture from my first week at PLP. For my after picture, I found a picture from the week before. This showed how much I have learned and matured through being in the Performance Learning Program.

Museums

We had to look into some online museums and find some different pieces of art. We had to observe all the different arts and find what is similar and unique to each painting. We then had to plug all of the observations into a mind node document.

Museum exhibit/milestone 1

This was our first milestone and my favourite milestone. Here we had to create a museum similar to the online ones we made a mind node document about with different symbols that connected to me somehow. I put the picture of how it started how it’s going meme into it, a picture

of some food showing my love for cooking and a statue of my cat and goggles showing how I swim and love my cat.  

Building knowledge

Worldview MindNode

This is where we found out what worldview is and how it affects us. We looked at all the different aspects of worldview; Knowledge, Beliefs, Society, Time, Geography, Values and Economics. We then had to write an example of all the different aspects of world view and plug them into a MindNode document.

Collage/Milestone 2 

Here we had to make a collage of memories that had affected our world view. We first had to learn about a story spine and make a story spine with multiple events that changed our worldview. We then had to choose a picture for each of these events and create a collage about it.

Cornell notes

Then we started to research different historical events through an extremely interesting way of taking notes. We had to research different events that occurred in the medieval and renaissance times such as the black death, the crusades, and the Medici Family. We made these notes using the Cornell method which is basically writing a topic on one side of a line and then writing the information about that topic on another side of a line.

The test/milestone 3

Here we were assigned to write a test about one or two historically significant events and connect them to our worldview. I chose the Black death and wrote how it changed the way economics work because of the black death and how they affect my life today. I did okay but I could definitely show how it affected my life today with a lot more detail.

Develop and critique

Milestone 4 

Now we had to write a conclusion and an argument to show our worldview. For the conclusion we had to answer the driving question; “what can we learn from the past, and why does it matter today”. We then had to try to write an argument for a lesson that I learned from history, which I can Apply to my worldview.

The Teams

We were now given teams based on the topic we chose in milestone 3. I chose economics so I was put into the economics group. We were then all given roles. We had one person called the Directly responsible individual or DRI, Two Flexible group members or a Flex, An art and room design, and my job as the writer.

Milestone 5

Here we had to make an extremely interesting art piece art and that would soon be put into the final project. We started by getting into our groups and deciding on different ways we could show our world view aspect. Our group was economics and we chose two main ones. Each group member had to find an art piece that shows or worldview aspect. The one I got was about gaining money through one’s parents. I chose a picture about a newly coronated king and stuck Trudeau’s face over the top of his face. This showed that Trudeau may have become Priminister because his dad was also Priminister. I also had to record an artist’s statement that talked about the painting. 

Present and reflect/The exhibition

Finally, the day we were all waiting for came: The exhibition day. How did we prepare for this you may ask well each one of us had to put our jobs into action. Since I had the writer job, I had to write the guided tour intro. This would basically be the introduction to the guided tour that would display all of our art in a virtual museum. All the writers had to then get together to prepare for the zoom meeting that would be explaining the guided tour. When all the writers got together we had to explain what we did and how we did it.

Core competencies

Questioning and predicting

My class time was used pretty well. I listened in class with the occasional distraction. I think I need to start getting into the habit of putting my phone in my bag without the ringer on to make sure I am not distracted. I think I could also come to school less tired so that I can concentrate on my work better.

Communicating and representing

I think my projects could have used some work. I think I had a lot of trouble finding out how my worldview today is affected by events in the past. I think in the end I figured it out and understand a lot more of my worldview.

Applying and innovating

I think that all of my projects had a lot of thought put into them and definitely helped my group with the project. Since I was the writer I had to do my job by my self and I did a pretty good job at writing the guided tour intro.

In conclusion this project was super fun and I definitely enjoyed it. I’m so happy that we did this because I learned so much. I loved being part of the economics group and the zoom meeting was super fun. I would definitely love to do a project like this again.

Queen fun facts

Introduction

Freddy mercury was one of the greatest singers to ever live and changed the way people listen and play music. I wanted to find some super interesting and surprising facts that are not well known about Freddy.

1 Brian may named his guitar the red special.

2 of queens music videos where filmed in roger tailors garden

3 Michael Jackson persuaded queen to make another one bites the dust

4 Freddie mercury designed the bands crest

5 Freddy mercury wrote a crazy little thing called love during a bath

6 Freddy mercury loved star wars 

7 Freddie mercury once took princess Diana to a gay bar

8 Freddie mercury’s birth name was Farrokh Bulsara

9 he was born in Zanzibar

10 Freddy mercury had 4 extra teeth

In conclusion I think that we should continue to be inspired by Freddy mercury. Even though some of these facts where really unsuspected and weird i think they where pretty cool. My favourite one being that he wrote a little thing called love during a bath.

Cooking cultures

Introduction

cooking is something that I’m really passionate about. So for the student blogging challenge I decided to do cooking since I know so much about it. In this blog I will be sharing all about how cooking works and my opinions on foods from across the world. I hope you enjoy the rest of the blog.

Asian food 🍚 

I think that’s Asian food is one of the most untouched or specifically unique foods. It has its own taste. Asian food is often based entirely around rice no matter where you go India japan china even Thailand everything is based around rice. What separates the different Asian cultural food is the spices they use while cooking. For example there are two main curry Indian curry and Thai curry. They are separated by the spices they use. Indian curry powder is the very different from Thai curry paste. Indian curry powder is made up of turmeric coriander and other spices from India like that. Where Thai curry paste is made up of chilli and lemon grass. So each Asian culture is unique. The problem now a days is that things like sushi and Chinese food has been altered from what it originally was and a lot of the food is just a cheap western spin off from the original meal.

Italian food 🍝 

Italian food is really interesting because it basically is made up of food from all over the world. The most notable Italian food is spaghetti. Spaghetti was basically a remake of the Asian noodle. What happened was many explores like Marco Polo went to country’s like china and India in search of new ideas. One of does ideas happened to be chinas noodle which explores brought back to Europe and remade it to make spaghetti. What I love about Italian food is that it’s basically a really good experiment that helped create food as we know it.

Mexican food 🌮 

Original Mexican food is a lot different from what we see today. Mexican food thousands of years ago was made up of some really random things like mangos and other fruits to maggots. Old Mexican or Hispanic food isn’t for me. They even ate guineu pigs and others such things which I could not see me eating today. But when the Spanish came they found a lot of new plants like corn and avocado. They decided to make many new meals that we see today like corn bread tocos and guacamole. 

In the end I think there like 4 thousand more food cultures that I could have gone over but I think I go the main ones down. I think that all food has its own special way. I think food really shows the beauty of different cultures and what people can create from the land that they live in. With out food tons of good times and ancient traditions could not take place.