We were Ore-gone for a few days, but now we’re back!

Hello again!!

In this post, I’m going to be telling you about one of PLP‘s main features, one of the funnest parts, and my favourite part. The most recent thing we did with PLP was go on something called a field study. I feel the study is basically a multi day field trip. They are lots of fun and lots of info! This field study, we went to Oregon. Here’s what we did and why we went to Oregon in the first place.

In PLP, there’s a reason why we go on a super awesome trip to another country. This time it was for an advertising project called the medium is the message! This project is a humanities project, focusing on advertising. First in groups, we were assigned a business. All of those businesses were the ones we were going to visit in Oregon. Each day when we visited these businesses assigned to whatever business we were at interviewed them. My group was Kam Meng, an American style, Chinese restaurant.

First day of our Oregon trip, we drove a whole lot. All the way across the border and a few more hours. After a quick stop at Cabelas, our first business and our first food stop was Clark’s restaurant. Then we drove some more, stopped at Dismal Nitch and continued on to our second business group at Astoria Column. Then we had dinner and visited Peter Iredale. And continued onto our cabins where we stayed for the next two days.

The second day we had breakfast and went to the Columbia River. Then we went to Fort Stevens and had our first quest. After lunch at Dairy Queen, we went zip lining at Highlife Adventures where our third group interviewed that business. Then we had dinner and went to bed.

Day three we had breakfast and drove to the Columbia River Maritime Museum, where we checked out the cool displays. Fourth interview group interviewed the museum. Then we drove and had lunch at Pig and Pancake, which was really delicious. Then we went to Cannon Beach and enjoyed the wonderful view. Then one of my favourite stops, the Tillamook Creamery where we learned about how they made cheese and even got to sample it. Then we went back for dinner and a good sleep.

On day four we had breakfast and went to arguably one of the coolest natural places I have ever been. Yeah quit now head at least that’s what it sounded like it was spelled Yaquina Head. The fifth group interviewed the people at a lighthouse there. And we went off on our second quest. Then we went to Hatfield Marine Science Center where we would go the next morning as well. And the sixth group interviewed the interviewees. Then we had dinner at a very good buffet.

Day five: by now we were staying at the yurts which were a very fun communal place to stay. We went back to Hatfield Marine Science Center. Yesterday we did an experiment on how fast crabs can run, today we’re doing two experiments. The first experiment was finding shrimp on a mud beach, and recording the number of them, their age, sex etc. The second experiment was building an R.O.V. And getting it to pick up magnetic objects underwater. Then we had lunch and went to a marine discovery tour, where our seventh group interviewed the organization. Then we had our third quest. Then we had dinner at my interview groups’ business Kam Meng, where we interviewed our business.

Next Day 6, we had breakfast and headed to Depoe Bay. Then we drove and our teachers had prepared a surprise for us. We went to BULLWINKLES which is an arcade, pizza place, and theme park! Then we drove for another while where we had dinner at Burger Claim, a burger place with peanut butter burgers! It’s our last night, so we stayed at a hotel! We swam in the pool before bed and then went to sleep.

Our last day we drove to a place called Wolf Haven, which is a sanctuary for wolves and our last interview group. Then we drove to Golden Corral Buffet to have lunch. Then it was the home stretch. I was in the van, because we had the van and the bus! I absolutely loved van shenanigans! We drove for a lot of hours to finally get home!

It was so much fun, and I learned so much!

Here’s my journal about our travels:

Thank you so much for reading my blog post!
– Ailie 💜