The surprising story of horseback riding:

Horseback riding is something that I love to do in my free time. I also do lessons twice a week. Here is the story of how it all started, right from the beginning….

When I was three years old I went on a trip to Colorado with my mom and my dad. The whole side of my mom’s family lives there.  I was visiting My grandma in the mountains around lots of horses. As we were driving, I noticed horses and we got out. My mom stoped the car so we could have a look.

The next day, my grandma booked a time to meet the owner of the horses. My mom rode them but I was too scared. After I saw that she was fine, I sat on the horse with her and walked around a little bit I can’t remember this now But this is what my mom told me, and I’m sure I loved it! After that day every time I went to visit my grandma in Colorado she booked a ride for me and I improved every time.

Near the ranch close to her house there is a big black horse named Zeus and he was my favourite until i met cherry, The first horse I tried it on was named Cherry and that’s the horse I improved on the most.

Sadly cherry died and after that, I started taking weekly lessons near my house in North Vancouver with my best friend. I started riding at NSEC. At first I was really nervous but then I got more confident. I started out just walking around the ring in circles until I got comfortable with these big animals. A few years later we were cantering.

Now I take lessons two times a week and we are doing jump courses!

I find it so cool that horses can teach you so much and they can learn from you! I have bonded so well with a lot of the horses that I have ridden over the years and I have learned that they all have there own and individual personality’s.

How to:

I have been riding for six years now and tacking up a horse is a need-to-know skill if you want to ride, and take care of horses.

Before and after every ride you need to brush your horse. By the end of this short reading you will hopefully know how to do that!

#1) (you will need tools to help you along such as a curry comb, hard brush, soft brush and a hoof pick)

Start with the curry comb. (the rubber one) Brush the body in small circular motions but don’t brush the face, neck, or legs.

#2) now grab the dandy brush/hard brush. (The longer one with the rougher bristles) this one just swipes of the hair and dirt that you loosened up with the curry comb. Go over the whole body, even the legs and neck this time, but still not the face.

#3) now you can move on to the soft brush.(the one with the softer bristles) This one can go over the whole body and make sure to get under the belly. Do the same thing you did with the hard brush.

#4) Next the hoof pick. Use this on all four hooves but don’t pick in the centre.

Now your horse is nice and clean!

Reflection:

How did the blogging process go?

I think that for me it was fun to work up to posting something instead of putting random pieces together. Now i am starting to understand the blogging process.

How was it different from what you have posted on your blog so far?

This blog post was different because this was my own hobby. This was challenging because know-one could relate to what I wrote and help me shorten it or add things. They don’t know what is important and not important.

What part was the most challenging? Why?

The part of this blog post that challenged me the most was the fact that I had to find my own pictures that made sense with my writing.

What part was the easiest to you? Why?

The part that was the easiest to me was writing it. This part was easy to me because I was writing about stuff that I already knew I was passionate about it.