My First Mpol!

Introduction:
“Thank you for coming to my presentation of learning. I am the expert on my own learning. I am also responsible and accountable for my own learning. You can expect me to give an honest evaluation of my progress. We will discuss my strengths and opportunities for growth. Thank you in advance for listening and and for offering feedback that I can use to improve as a learner.”

Growth as a PLP Learner:
This year I have shown a lot of growth in many things but I think I have shown the most growth in my problem solving skills. At the very beginning of the school year if I didn’t know what to do or was confused about a certain topic I would immediately ask the teacher for help, but after a while I learned how to figure things out on my own by thoroughly looking through Basecamp and seeking help from my peers. Another thing that I have shown an exceptional amount of growth for was becoming more productive in my work. At first it took me a long time to do things, even little things like writing a paragraph reflecting on some work. It would sometimes take me a few hours because I was so afraid of not being perfect and getting a bad grade but I eventually realized that it’s ok to have a revision and to not produce perfect work. So now it takes me like half an hour or less to write a good reflection.

Learning Plan:

For my Learning Plan, I think I will focus on the Humanities part, particularly public speech because that’s is something that I really struggle on. I generally stutter and am hard to understand most of the time. This is actually one of the many reasons why I chose to go to PLP, because out in the real world public speech is quite important and I want to get better at it. 

A section which I have felt a lot of improvement on is the Maker section, mainly the editing and computer skills. I used to greatly struggle on that in the past but recently I think I have gotten better at my problem solving skills which really impacted my computer skills because learning how to work computers takes trial and error and problem solving.

Another section in where I feel successful in is the disposition, systems, habits section. I think I have overcome a lot of hard challenges such as the Mpol, the thing I’m doing right now. Many times have I felt like giving up but I didn’t because I know I have to do it no mater what. I think I have also greatly achieved the habits section where I talked about studying. Every few days I usually review and just take a look at what we’ve been doing in Humanities and Maker but not just the PLP classes but I’ve also been doing a lot reviewing in my math class. By studying a bit everyday in math I have managed to get an average of 103%. And as for systems, I actually have been using things to remind me what to do and it has really helped me keep up to date on assignments, tests, and projects.

My Work So Far:

(The Outsiders)
So far we have done a lot of different projects throughout the year both in Humanities and Maker. But I think the most memorable project we have done so far in PLP was probably the Outsiders project, I think mainly because it was the project which involved the most group work, everyone had to work together to get the final product. We had to read an actual book and had to create a book cover and answer certain questions and fulfill certain roles. Whenever I think of PLP I always think of the Outsiders project for some reason. During this unit I learned how to work together in groups, how to combine ideas to create one big idea and how to communicate and work together towards an objective. Down below is the book cover my group made based on The Outsiders.

(The Middle Ages)
Something else that I really liked in humanities was the Middle Ages unit. To be honest, it was probably my favourite unit, mainly because it was cool to learn about the Black Death and the Torture methods that were used back then. During this unit, we mainly learned about feudalism, different hierarchies and classes that were there back then such as the nobles, knights, peasant etc… And at the end of the unit we had to create a presentation showing off our knowledge and answer questions about the Middle Ages. After creating the presentation I also learned how to quickly research accurate information by checking sources and doing that sort of stuff. I do kind of wish we learned more about the different torture methods and the different types of diseases that were around because it was very interesting but it was overall an amazing unit.

(Geek Out Challenge)
Enough about Humanities, let’s talk about Maker. Maker is definitely one of my most favourite subjects, mainly because I really like building and using special apps to make cool pieces of art. One unit that really stood out to me was the Geek Out challenge where we could talk about our favourite hobbies and present it to our friends. For my Geek Out challenge I talked about Geometry Dash and Minecraft which are two of my most favourite video games. For those who don’t know, Geometry Dash is a square based plat-former game where you have to jump and fly through obstacles. And Minecraft is a sandbox game where you can pretty much do whatever you want. For my Minecraft document, I talked about secret Minecraft facts. And as for Geometry Dash, even though it’s a good game I talked about 7 problems with the Geometry Dash.

(Finding Fun with Drawing)
This was probably my most favourite Maker unit that we’ve had so far. I really enjoyed using Sketches Pro and making all kinds of weird yet interesting drawings. I’m not really a drawer but Sketches Pro really made me enjoy creating art. From the satisfying sounds of the pen to the variety of unique instruments of art, this was hands down the funnest unit in my opinion. For the unit we had to create all sorts of art using different skills such as using lights and shading or using lines and pressure. And in the end we had to create a book using book creator showcasing all of our artwork and explaining it all.

Standards:
So far I do think my work has met all of my standards. Since the beginning of the year my goal was to get an accomplished which I have received and sometimes even surpassed, sometimes especially in Maker I have got an extending for some of my work. So yes I am very happy with all of my work.

Challenges:

Other than the Mpol I think the project that I struggled with the most was the Triptych project. During this project we had to create a 3 panel piece of art containing ourselves in every single panel showcasing different world changing ideas which were around in each time line, (Panel 1 was the renaissance, panel 2 was modern day, and panel 3 was before the renaissance.) The reason why the project was difficult was mainly due to the strict due dates. One day we would have to create the draft for the triptych, and then the next day 2 panels of the triptych would be due. It was definitely a tough project but I think by being pushed a lot, I actually learned quite a bit!

Overall, PLP has definitely pushed me in every way and has been very difficult, but I have learned a lot from it and it has shown me a new view into learning and gaining knowledge. PLP has definitely been a blast and I hope to continue!

Renaissance Reflection

During the Renaissance project I learned a lot about innovations which helped changed the world such as the printing press, lenses and the clock and how they shaped the world today. For example, lenses have changed into many things we use and see today such as the microscope and the telescope which have both severely impacted the science world. I also learned a lot about the renaissance times and the shift from the more medieval times to now. It was pretty cool seeing things such as pen and paper shifting to the printing press and then to digital computers. I also enjoyed learning about triptychs and what makes a triptych and all of that. It was cool seeing very famous triptychs from the past and seeing how detailed and thorough they were. Overall I really enjoyed learning about the renaissance time and I hope to learn more about it in the future.

Ideas from Europe and Asia changed the world by bringing out new worldviews and new inventions which were builded upon on and which took shape into many modern day things we use nowadays such as modern day glasses, telescopes and microscopes. Because of the discovery of lenses we are now able to see planets thousands of miles away and see objects way smaller than the human eye can even comprehend. Not just inventions but ideologies were builded upon into the world we see today. Because of Martin Luther’s beliefs religion has curcically changed, from the Chaitholic church lying and gouging money from people to now simple groups of people praying among the lord is what Martin Luther’s beliefs have been turned upon. This is how ideas from Europe and Asia changed the world.

New ideas in the renaissance changed the renaissance world by the invention of glasses, the clock, telescope, and the Lantern. With the Invention of glasses people who couldn’t see before were now able to see more details and had better vision. The invention of the telescope made it easier to see things beyond the world, the early telescope helped discover Neptune and some of the other planets in the solar system. Laterns also had a big impact on the world, it was a more convienient light source, instead of having to dangerously walk around with a giant flaming torch in your hand you could safely walk around with a caged long lasting candle. And as for the clock, it made it a lot easier to keep track of things and events and was a good way to keep track of where you are. Without the clock we would all be very confused.

Modern ideas which were invented recently included the modern lamp, digital clock, and modern telescope. The modern lamp was very convenient because it wasn’t really dangerous and was powered by electricity instead of a literal burning fire and was easy to activate, all you have to do is flip a switch. And finally as for the clock, it has evolved to modern digital clocks which you can convieiently walk around with on your hand or on a device. And as for the modern telescope it has drastically helped us in the field of science particularly astronomy and astrophysics. Because of the modern telescope we are able to see things millions of miles away and can see black holes, stars, weird galaxies and things we never imagined before.

Traditional ideas that people had before the renaissance included pen, paper, wool clothing, and simple weapons such as axes and swords. Pen and paper made it so that people could write books and record events. If it wasn’t for pen and paper we wouldn’t know so much about life in medieval times or periods before that. As for wool clothing, it helped people stay warm and helped them against the harsh weathers and tough terrain of the world. Back then it was basically the equivalent to clothes we wear nowadays. Without wool/fur clothing a lot of people would’ve died from hypothermia and other environmental challenges. Simple weapons (when I say simple weapons I mean like swords, axes, knives and stuff like that) were probably one of the most important things to exist back before the renaissance, it helped catch food and helped people get their meals and also helped them against enemies and invaders. Without simple weapons the world would’ve been a very barbaric place with people beating each other with their fists and using rocks as a replacement for swords and axes.

Avatar Project Reflection

I think the Avatar box project went well, it was not only very interesting but it was also very fun. I really liked the process of creating the box, I’m not really used to building things using clay and glue so it was definitely a really new experience for me. At first I had to get the supplies for the box, this part was probably the easiest part of the Avatar project because I didn’t really need to do anything except get the right supplies for my box, which I did. After that was the hard part, I had to plan out and make the actual box. My theme was corporate greed so I planned to have the humans destroying the home tree and blowing up the Na’vi peoples environment which showed how the humans would do almost anything to get rich and successful and displayed greed. It was sort of tricky at first but after deciding what to do and planning everything out carefully it actually became kind of a fun challenge having to mold things together and glue objects into my box. In the end I think my box turned out pretty well looking a lot like Pandora with the humans attacking the Na’vi people. Unfortunately I was sick for the exhibition so I wasn’t able to attend it but I will definitely make sure to attend it next time because it seemed like a really cool experience. I think the Avatar project was very cool and I hope to do something similar in the future!

First Learning Portfolio

Dream Board: For the dream board activity I imported images on stuff that I wanted to accomplish and eventually achieve. I talked about stuff like successfully skiing a double black diamond or beating a top 50 extreme demon in Geometry Dash and stuff like that. After I finished my dream board I learned that I really like to challenge myself and that I like to try to accomplish very difficult tasks.

User Manual: For the user manual activity I talked about myself and hobbies that I do such as gaming and solving Rubik’s Cubes and stuff like that. I also talked about my schedule and I just sort of talked about things that I do in my general day. After this activity I learned that I like to try new things and challenge myself.

YouTube Channel: For the YouTube Channel assignment I talked about my YouTube Channel and what I would do if I had one and what kind of content I would create. I did also create a channel banner. The name that I would chose for my channel would be Wizard Grape and the content I would be making would be mainly on gaming. After this assignment I learned that I am actually very creative. For example, the channel name, the channel banner and my channel plan for what kind of videos I would be making were quite creative.

Feedback Form

Geek Out Reflection

I think the blogging process went well. This is different from my other posts because I posted about something that I really liked and found interesting (Geometry Dash, Minecraft). I did also indeed feel like I was writing for a different audience, mainly the gaming audience because that’s what my 2 pages were about. And Yes I do think it sort of influenced my writing because I was writing about something that I had a passion for.

Upon this experience, I learned that I like finding small interesting details about topics that I like. I found the part where I had to find some not known facts about Geometry Dash and Minecraft hard. The easiest part was the writing part. I found that putting everything into sentences and writing everything down pretty easy. And Yes I will continue to post to my blog because I actually find it kind of fun.

Geometry Dash Geek Out

The Seven Worst Things About Geometry Dash:

What is Geometry Dash? Geometry Dash is a rhythm based platformer game created by Robtop, where you have to jump and fly through objects and spikes. 

-Geometry Dash is very dependant on fps and Hz. The more fps you have the better you’ll be at the game. What sucks about this is that high refresh rate devices cost a lot of money.

-The game creator (Robtop) keeps lying about update 2.2. The last update in Geometry Dash was over 5 years ago and since then the creator keeps saying that the update will be out on this date or that date but in the end just turns out to be a lie.

-The game is too repetitive and after a while just gets boring. Playing a level attempt after attempt can get very boring.

-Geometry Dash is super Flashy and isn’t great for your eyes. Seeing constant flashing lights can cause potential damage to your eyesight.

-The game can be very addicting with a lot of excitement to it. If you’re a new player to the game, there’s a lot to explore and you can get easily hooked by the game fast.

-The Geometry Dash community is pretty toxic and mean. There are a lot of bullies and racist people on the game who can just ruin your day.

-Geometry Dash isn’t beginner friendly. Geometry Dash takes years to get some what descent at the game and isn’t like other games where it only takes a few weeks to get good.

Minecraft Geek Out

Seven Fascinating facts about Minecraft:

For people who don’t know. Minecraft is a sandbox adventure game where you can do whatever you want. You can make kingdoms, kill monsters, or travel to different dimensions. Everything is up to you. 

-Minecraft has been taught at school, and has been used as a source of education. A school in Sweden known as the Victor Rydberg Secondary school made Minecraft a part of their curriculum.

-The famous so called Creeper in Minecraft was never meant to exist. When Minecraft programmers were creating a pig they accidentally messed up the height and lengths of the pig therefore making the Creeper.

-Minecraft is one of the best selling games of all time. So far, Minecraft has sold over 238 million copies since its release.

-Minecraft used to be called “Cave Game”, but was later changed to “Minecraft”.

-Once every 10,000 times you play Minecraft, a typo will appear at the beginning of the menu screen saying “Mineceraft” instead of Minecraft.

-The bogey man of Minecraft is fake. Since the beginning of Minecraft a popular creepy pasta known as Herobrine was said to roam the worlds of Minecraft and cause mayhem in peoples worlds. This theory has been debunked and it has been proven that no such thing as Herobrine has ever existed in normal Minecraft.

-The fastest legit completion of Minecraft was in 10 minutes!

Making Interesting Images Reflection

1. I can use the still image to reflect and show emotions through pictures. For example, I can show anger or nostalgia or happiness through an image. This is how I can communicate through a still image.

2. Interesting Images Slideshow

3. I found the skill where we had to put an emotion into an image very useful. Learning how to add emotions and characteristics to a photo was very cool and actually helped me create quite a few really cool pieces of art.

The skill where we had to take picture from certain angles was also very useful. I found it created more of an atmosphere to certain photos and was overall very useful to make very unique images.

Also the skill where we had to use Photo Booth was also very useful. I liked using all of the features on it such as the X-Ray and light tunnel and all of that. It created a lot of weird but interesting pictures.

Powered by WordPress & Theme by Anders Norén