Take Your Kid To Work Day!

Hi y’all and welcome back to my blog and today I am going to be talking about the thing that every single grade 9 goes through on November 6th…yeah, you guessed it, Take Your Kid To Work Day. Every year, all of the grade 9s spend a day at their parents work and need to complete a few questions or something on a piece of paper but, this program is extra special so we all created super cool videos. 

Here was my action plan that I did before the take your kid to work day. I think to make sure for next time would be to be much more detailed and specific with what I want my video to look like and what shots I want for it. But I mean, this action plan is a little bit more for editing because, at the take your kid to work day, it’s really just getting as much b-roll as possible and doing interviews. 

My mom is a mortgage broker which means that she’s self employed so she has a pretty flexible schedule but, this also means that, if she doesn’t work, she doesn’t get payed (because she doesn’t have a monthly salary or anything). So, even though my mom is self employed, she still works at an office that she shares with other people; Mark Rasmussen (A Realtor) and Andrea Johnson (A Notary Public). Even though they don’t work together, they can still work together on some projects or work off of each other. 

Also, even though my mom does not work for a company, she represents an organization of mortgage professionals called Mortgage Alliance in fact, she is in an elite group within Mortgage Alliance named The Vine Group. 

We started off the day and got to the office at around 8ish and I left at 4:30 ish to go to an after school activity but typically, my mom would stay till 5-5:30 ish but it really depends on the day or week.

During my visit on take your kid to work day, I also noticed that my mom’s work has some common things that we use now in PLP. For example, for each client, my mom has a certain amount of milestones, that she keeps track on an app called Floify. Just like in PLP, where we use milestones for each one of our projects. So, for some people saying that high school or school in general doesn’t prepare you for anything in the future, then your pretty wrong. 

Now, I’m going to be reflecting on the core competencies that we are being assessed on in this assignment. 

The first competency is “Question self and others about how individual purposes and passions can support the needs of the local and global community when considering career choices”. Now, my mom, being a very caring and selfless person, really loves to help others. This career also fit just right for her because, it uses her education in business and finance, her skills with problem solving and of course, with her love of helping people. So, when it comes to my mom’s career, she helps; first homebuyers getting a mortgage to actually afford it, people getting a second mortgage, a new mortgage and refinancing (dept). 

The next competency is “Recognize the impact of personal public identity in the world of work”. My mom, like most adults uses LinkedIn to advertise and give/get shoutouts from people she’s worked with. She also has a professional facebook account that she posts things about mortgages and stuff for her clients to see. She also uses Floify to share with her clients and organize herself better. 

The final competency that we were being assessed on is “Recognize and explore diverse perspectives on how work contributes to our community and society”. Just like what I said in the first one, my mom helps people in all sorts of ways. Everyone’s job should contribute to our community and society in different ways. 

The thing is about my video, I had filmed everything and gotten such great shots of everything including an interview with my mom, but my iPad crashed and I had to go and refilm everything one day after school. The thing was, that my mom was leaving the day after Take Your Kid To Work Day and hadn’t come back till very late at night the day before this was due. So, I sadly, was not able to incorporate an interview with my mom.

In conclusion, I really enjoyed getting to live in what the life of an adult is a and how different it is from school, yet, kind of similar. The thing about work is that it’s typically focused more on either your passions/what you like and/or what you are good at. I learned a lot from this experience and glad that I got to see what it would be like for me one day. 

See you later! 

Alex 

Post a comment

You may use the following HTML:
<a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <s> <strike> <strong>