Hello all, it has been like 3 months since I’ve last posted on my blog, but here I am. For the last 10 weeks (quarter 3) I had no PLP classes which is why I wasn’t as active. But, something I did do while I didn’t have PLP was that I created two podcast episodes. 

The first one was with Kaia Rasmussen, where we talked about a beautiful place called Sun Peaks. I also got in depth of the school system and the lifestyle that the teenagers that live there have. 

For second episode, I was joined by Julia Cree. We discussed the importance of mental health and how schools have impacted the mental health of students. 

Now, let’s get into this weeks topic. In our newest project, we are focusing on what has changed after WWII (1950 ish to now). We are making podcast episodes, where in mine I will be interviewing a woman named Melody Castelein. Some brief history is that she moved to Deep Cove in the late 60s and her husband built a house there. But, while the house was being built, they lived in a log cabin called “The Homestead”. There is a pretty interesting history behind this house which is what I decided to talk about this week.

The Homestead was a permanent residence at a time when deep cove was considered a rural summer community. The person who built this house was a man named Jack Gillis who moved here from Prince Edward Island in 1923. He bought a property with 4 lots for $20 each where he would build his home. John was a logger, which gave him an advantage, and he also had a team of horses to help him bring logs from the Seymour forest. Some interesting features in the Homestead are a bell cast front gable roof, peeled log railings and a log arch over the entrance. 

Jack Gillis was a foreman for the district of North Vancouver for about 10 years where he worked on the construction of roads, waterworks and wharfs. And in 1960, he worked for the district’s parks department and made a picnic shelter at cates park and suspension bridge supports in Lynn canyon park. He unfortunately passed away in the 60’s. 

Picture from the Airbnb website

Mrs Christena Gillis, his wife talks about how overtime the house started to get better. The water mane started going through their street so that way they didn’t have to go to a house that was near the wharf for water. They also had to get cement walls and floor in the basement because it had deteriorated . Years later they got a furnace from an oil tank, and they also had dug drains around the house to keep the basement dry.

This house is actually even still around today, people can stay in there for Airbnb which I think is super cool. It’s also so weird to think that back then, they didn’t have taps for their water, or washing machines or furnaces that heated up the whole house (until they got it later). 

That’s all for now, bye!