Fractions Of My Time: Summative Post

I’ve just joined a new class called Scimatics, we made a project called ‘Fractions of our Time’. Within this project we have had six milestones. I really enjoyed milestone five ‘Numbers spread sheet’. In this milestone I made a spreadsheet to track my screen time and in this milestone I incorporated some pie charts to showcase my understanding of percentages.

From milestone five I’ve upgraded the spreadsheet to show case my final spreadsheet, which is located at the beginning of my post. On the spreadsheet I’ve made a pie chart that says Entertainment and Productivity because I wanted to see what section I spend most of my time on, while I’m using my iPad. The big reason I wanted to learn these facts is because I spend most of my day on my iPad. The reason for this is because I use it at school for learning purposes and I use it a home for entertainment purposes. It really intrigued me on which one I use most often. If you look at my final draft (at the very top of the post) there is multiple ways that you can interpret the pie charts, the way this is possible is…to think of the pie chart as an actual pie then you can actually visualize it to form a fraction (etc.1/2 is half of a pie).

To work up to the final spreadsheet I went through a Milestone called ‘how can fractions be combined?’. In this milestone I did a quiz on how to add and subtract fractions. This milestone really helped me in a way where I can add up fractions and I even can get the idea of how fractions work in everyday life. 

The main way I made my final spreadsheet is by following a guide line of important learning checkpoints:

Curricular Competencies:

1-Communicating and Representing

To meet this Curricular Competency I made multiple pie charts that calculated my overall screen time. The reason I new how to make a pie chart is because we learned how to effectively understand fraction to make a pie chart that symbolized that. That is how I incorporate this first Curricular Competency.

2-Understanding and Solving

To meet this Curricular Competency I made a spreadsheet to record my screen time I used throughout my week. The way I did this is by understanding how to add and subtract fractions which made me clearly solve my thought about how I could make a clear spreadsheet. That’s How I constructed my spreadsheet to meet the Curricular Competency.

3-Applying and Innovating

Lastly, the way I met this curricular competencies is by using my class time to productively produce the product. The in depth way of how I did this was by working with the people around me to make a successful journey I to the final project. That is my favourite competency because it made me focus and use my time wisely.

As this summative blog post comes to a close I would like to answer the driving question that we were given, which is “What fraction of our time is screen time?”

My answer is, 1/3 is roughly the fraction of my personal screen time compared to non-screen time, which I find interesting because when we started this project I decided to predict my screen time and I thought that it would be much more then what it actually was, but this fraction could be in a different form from other people’s calculated screen time.

Thanks for reading my summative blog post for this first Scimatics project,

Alicia 😁

Links to blogs, made by classmates who gave me helpful tips for this project:

Teva 

Nolan

Alfie 

Ella 

Julia