The More Things Change…

Hello world, 

I’ve started a partner project called “The more things change”. This project was all about learning how to learn how to identify continuity and change, plus using evidence (these were the two curricular competencies for this project). The other main concept I had to achieve was answering the driving question for this project, “What did European settlement mean for all the people involved?”. To answer this driving question I had to work through several milestones and steppingstones. In addition the final product of this project was an infographic about European settlement. 

Firstly, I came in contact with milestone 1, “A Deep Cove reflection”. This milestone was about identifying what continuity and change in a reflection about Deep Cove. To complete this milestone I had to think about how past events have change overtime or how they have stayed the same. To do this I wrote a page long reflection that states specific examples of continuity and change within the establishment of deep cove. Throughout my statement/reflection I also showed events of progress or declining factors for all the people involved with the establishment of Deep Cove (To know what happened to these people I listen to a class discussion to help me learn more about the establishment of Deep Cove). The main purpose of this milestone (like I said before) was Identifying specific examples of continuity and change since the start of Deep Cove, this was so important because it was one of the two curricular competencies for this project. The area I felt I demonstrated this competency best was when I wrote about the drastic change in architecture over the years.

Secondly, I reached the second milestone for this project, “Continuity and Change Sheet”. To work up to the final product of this milestone I went through many steppingstones, but the one I would like to share is “Notes Pages Check In”. I do realized this seem like an assessment for the teacher, but really it was probably one of the most important steppingstones I’ve done. The reason I feel so strongly about this steppingstone is because it was about taking notes about events that happened within the time of New France. This is a huge aspect of this project because it was the foundation of all of the knowledge that I gained. Once I toke many notes from discussions I was able to move onto milestone 2. 

In addition, milestone 2 was about showing your knowledge about a given topic that happened within the time of New France an how it fit into these three categories:

Substantial effect or no substantial deviation

Important aspect or relativity permanent 

Widespread 

Overall Important 

The actual product of this was two graphs that showcased the constants and changes throughout the timeline of New France. To make this come to I filled in one line of each graph then collaboratively fill in the other lines/sections with my peers.

This milestone moved me closer to the final product of this project because I was able to collaboratively identify changes and continuities within the time of New France. 

Thirdly, I moved onto a partner milestone called, “3 Facts & 3 Graphics’. This milestone was about filling in an Infographic template that showed three facts about the three groups of people within the time of European settlement. These three facts about the French, British and First Nations related to the thesis statement that me and my partner created. To create facts that were informative we had to go through many revisions and feedback, but it ended up suiting the concept of the milestone. When we created the thesis we realized that it would also have to be an informative way to present the meaning of the Infographic that was going to be created. Before we placed the 3 facts and 3 graphic we made a chart to represent what they were going to be…

The purpose behind milestone 3 was to demonstrate the use of the competency “identifying continuity and change”, as well as the competency “using evidence”. The point where I felt I showed continuity and change was a connection I within the thesis to present day. The point were I displayed evidence was throughout the facts that were created. 

Fourthly, me and my partner completed milestone 4 “Final Infographic”. This milestone is exactly like it sounds…it was the completed Infographic that me and my partner created. The biggest change within this milestone was the factor of creating a continuity and change aspect of the Infographic. After many, seriously many, drafts we were able to create a completed Infographic that showcased our knowledge about Europeans settlement and how it connects too our current day.

Lastly, when the Infographic was finished it was time to create a Magic Move video to showcase a deeper representation of what the point of the Infographic meant. To make this video me and my partner toke images within keynote and adjusted them which created a transition of the Infographic. Once the visual was completed we added recording behind it to enhance the story.

After the video was finished we made it into a QR code that was placed on our final Infographic. Then we moved to milestone 5 “Curation and Present”. This milestone was actually producing the Infographic by turning it into a printed copy that could be displayed…

In conclusion, the main idea’s I learned from this project is how to use continuity and change to any standard. I really feel like this project taught me a lot about European settlement and how it affected all the people involved. This brings me to the answer for the driving question, which is “What did European settlement mean for all the people involved?”. My answer for this question is the thesis me and my partner, Ariane, developed:

European settlement resulted in the exchange of various goods between all the groups involved. Although the power difference between groups and systems has changed over time, we still use trading as a method to obtain and develop new resources.   

Thanks for reading!

• Alicia 😀

Special thanks to my partner for this project! Check out her blog:

Ariane

Sources used within our Infographic:

Sarah Coates. Nelson Socials 8. 2019.

www.thecanadianencyclopedia.ca/en/article/new-france

“Worlds Collide Episode 1”, CBC. 2017.