Alicia’s mPOL Post!

Declaration of Learning:

“Thank you for coming to my presentation of learning. I am the expert on my own learning. I am also responsible and accountable for my own learning. You can expect me to give an honest evaluation of my progress. We will discuss my strengths and opportunities for growth. Thank you in advance for listening and for offering feedback that I can use to improve as a learner.” 

Hello and welcome to my mPol blog post. I will be reflecting on my growth as a learner this year. This post will answer these two important driving questions:

– “How have I demonstrated growth as a learner so far this year?”

– “How can I sharpen my Learning Plan to ensure I will reach my learning targets by the end of this school year?”

As you know I have done many projects throughout this year and I will be using these projects to explain how they had an effect on my growth as a learner. To start my learning I’ve set a goal to develop higher profiles of each core competency relevant to grade nine learning. Over this school year two projects from Humanities and Scimatics have truly improved me as a learner. 

Humanities

Throughout Humanities we have completed three projects in total. These three project’s are:

All of these projects have help me develop my skills as a learner. Yet, one of the three truly improved me as a learner. This project was called “Revolutions on Trial. Within this project I learnt a lot about revolutions of the past, but more importantly I learnt about what it takes to correctly develop skills that would improve me as a learner. Throughout this project and humanities in general I feel that I grow regarding my knowledge, skills, and overall attitude towards being a better person/learner. 

Skills I applied to this project

• Communicating 
  • Critical and Reflective Thinking 
  • Personal Awareness and Responsibility 

An example of how revision is growth!

•  These are the revisions I toke throughout this one product of this project
  • My learning plan helped me improve my product 
  • I feel this ‘Graphic Organizer’ shows that I can take feedback and create a product that truly shows my knowledge   
  • This is an example of how I honestly think REVISION is needed to have GROWTH! 

Teamwork 

• I worked collectively with a group to create the final presentation 
  • I tried to understand everyone’s strength and perform leadership by using those strength’s to present a final product 
  • I do think I take responsibility in having leadership qualities, but I still need to improve the way I use them 

My Experience

The most interesting and least interesting project/product: 

• The one product I found most interesting was the creation of the poetry eBook in the project “Working With Words”.
  • At the period of time the common-lit activities, in the project “People in the environment”, were probably what I found least interesting
  • This is because didn’t help me improve on my creative thinking competency

Scimatics 

Throughout Scimatics I have worked on many projects called “Game of Exponent Laws”, “Correlation vs. Causation” and “Chemistry Stories”. I feel that the project “Chemistry Stories” was the project in Scimatics that I could have improved the most on. Even though I did have room to grow I think it really inspired me, as a learner to understand the work and effort it takes to develop a proper understanding of the core competencies in relation to the content I’m learning. 

➡️ Click Here! To watch the full animation! ⬅️

The main piece of high quality work I think helped me understand what I was doing for the animation. While I’m proud of the exemplary piece of work that I presented, I still feel like I could have better shown my growth as a learner. I feel like I could have actually improved on the actual content of this project 

• Even though my content could have been improve I also could have improved my use of the core competency communication

My FAIL’s in Scimatics

• I sometimes don’t understand the content of certain projects and I kept getting confused with certain scientific concepts 
  • Producing work that doesn’t represent what I can actually do 

What can I change to build upon my FAIL’s?

• I will ask informative questions and use collaborative approaches to understand these concepts better  
  • I will take more time and effort in the planning of my final product

Core competencies 

Thinking

• Thinking is a core competency that I feel I need to work on, but to be honest I’ll probably continue to constantly grow.
  • I’m also finding new ways to make sure I improve my use of the thinking competency 
  • A specific competency within thinking, in which I need to improve on is definitely Creative thinking 
  • I now realize that throughout projects I don’t challenge myself to use a creative side of thinking in association with critical thinking

Personal and Social

• I need to work most on my Personal and Social core competency because there are many steps I have to take to demonstrate the profiles I want to be at (regarding my learning plan)
  • I realize that I can grow within this core competency if I start to understand more of the world around me
  • This is something I tend to forget about acknowledging, I focus so much on my learning that I forget that the world around me is also a demonstration of my skills

Communication 

• I think this is the most important this is the core competency that I feel I understand, but there are still aspects that I need to improve
  • Within the communication core I feel like my biggest strength is communicating to an audience in expressive ways
  • What I need to improve: I need to communicate and incorporate other’s idea’s into team based work. As well as clearly communicating my own idea’s to others. 

Learning plan 

Have I used my Dispositions, Habits, and Systems throughout my Learning Plan throughout this year?

• I have continued to follow my dispositions for this year by being open to educational challenges
  • I have constantly been using my habits stated in my learning plan to make sure I’m on track with my learning 
  • I have used the systems I created to help me stay focused and prepared 

Driving Questions

How have I demonstrated growth as a learner so far this year?

• I have demonstrated my growth as a learner through the application of curricular competencies into my learning.
  • I have also grown my knowledge of concepts by receiving and applying revision to my work. 

How can I sharpen my Learning Plan to ensure I will reach my learning targets by the end of this school year?

• I will understand what point I’m at and set realistic goals that I feel take in account of where I am as a learner now and where I want to be.
  • I think I will be able to achieve my learning plan this year.

Thank you for reading/listening to my mid-year presentation of learning! Any questions?

Alicia 😀