Brace For The IMPACT!

Exhibition poster

Hello! Welcome to this, shorter, unique blog post! I will be giving a reflection about my experience with being apart of a spring exhibition. Last year I was allowed to be apart of the 2021 spring exhibition by acting as a narrator but this year was a different experience. In case your confused an exhibition is a different way to showcase to your work (specifically our documentaries) , through following a theme. The name and theme for this spring exhibition was “IMPACT!” an exhibition of how we learn in PLP. Everyone in my class contributed to making of 5 sections that relate to PLP including, the Intro, PLB pathway, Beyond the Classroom, Technology for Learning, and the Conclusion. The section I was apart of was the Introduction, where we based our section off of different skits that give an answer to our room’s question. Our question that our part in the exhibition had to answer was “What is PLP?”.

To create and plan the exhibition we started with brainstorming ideas amongst our groups. Within our group we had around 4 people but then we merged together forming a group consisting of Carter, Cole, Landon, Jocelyn, Declan, Zachary, Colton. We came up with the rough idea to create short skits that went through a story about what PLP is. This idea was solidified yet, but we started to articulate it into a ‘Pitch Form’ to explain our concept to the teachers and our peers. We then got feedback and revised our map, but our overall concept of creating individual skits was approved.

Pitch Form

Within our pitch form we were able to specifically revise our answer to the question “What is PLP”. The answer we came to was that PLP is a different way to learn, specifically following the concept of project based learning. To be successful at PLP we, as a community, strive to become an educated citizens in everyday scenarios. We follow a project path, and communicate with others to create projects that help us develop skills for the present and future. (This is the answer we tried to show within our room).           

After our plan was somewhat formed we constructed this into a ‘plan’. Within this plan we made a final pitch form, which was slightly revised. Within our ‘plan’ we had supporting documents to keep us on track, such as a To-Dos list, annotated map, drawn map. We also were giving the opportunity to work with some Gr.8’s in our sections, so we decided to brainstorm ideas about how the Gr.8’s could be apart of our section.

We then started to finalize our idea in a ‘Master Plan’. Our final idea was to create three skits that show how PLP is, in a perspective that shows how it stands out. In our first skit we showed a ‘boring school scene’. In this skit the ‘actors’ were reading a textbook and holding up a thought bubble while thinking about how a class could be. The audience then travels to the next skit where there are exited and curious students, while the ‘teacher’ on the other side has placed a textbook in the garbage and hold’s an iPad instead and shows the documentary is playing. The audience then walks inside to find some students showcasing their work. 

During the experience I really enjoyed the different audience reaction to our skits. I was able tap into the different skills that I’ve learnt throughout the year. The skills I used throughout the exhibition was creative thinking, communicating and collaborating. These skills were used by planning with the team and presenting our part at the time of the exhibition. I think by using these skills I really was able to constantly learn and also enjoy myself.

Thank you for reading! Now, What would you showcase in an exhibition?

Alicia 😀 

Credits:

All of my group members (both Gr.8 and 9)!

A special thanks to all of the teachers and students who made this possible!

Opening image credit: Ariane, Ava, Sabrina