Alberta 2.0

https://www.dailymoss.com/25-hilarious-pun-memes-2017-laugh/

Salutations

This is the second part to the holy trinity of Alberta blog posts. This will cover my reflection on the habits exercised during this trip. For instance, how I managed my time while working on my daily note.

Being an efficient worker is just as important as having curiosity and creativity in the classroom. Because, all though it may not be obvious in the final product, it keeps you on task, confident and mentally stable. This is why, when I mention “the habits that I exercised”, I intent to say work ethic and efficiency.

One of the best examples of this behaviour is my Royal Tyrell Museum short film. We were only given half an hour to script, find a location and film an Oscar worthy short film. At first, I felt overwhelmed by how much needed to be done. There was so much that I needed to do, while also helping my partner, Asha film her movie. I wish I could say that I came to an epiphany, and a miracle happened, but no. My secret to finishing that movie on time was getting started.

This is the Ceratopsian, the subject of my video

Time budgeting has always been something that I have struggled with, as my philosophy is the older you are when you do it, the wiser you are. After all, gems are made under pressure. But this movie required some serious execution. My first course of action was to map out each and every minute and how I would use it. This is because I tend to become a perfectionist at the worst of times. Mapping out my time helps me think ahead to how I will use each second efficiently.

After finishing this exercise, the rest of the filming and editing process went smoothly. My goal was to finish at least 8 minutes early so that I could edit and publish my masterpiece, but by working with my goal in mind, I worked with a fervour never seen in a human before. I finished filming with 10 minutes to spare, which meant that I had the chance to interview a guide in the museum.

Although the final product did not chalk up to my Alberta video in any way shape or form, I am very proud of the efficiency and self discipline that I displayed. I exceeded my own expectations. One small step for Ally, one big step for my work habits.

But let’s not forget about my Ghost Town video. We knew that we would be doing this video long before we actually departed on the Alberta trip. (I would like to give a special mention to Anders, Gabe and Rhiann for being incredible group members in this project). My group decided to separate this project into three parts. Pre-production, production and post-production. By doing this, we efficiently split up the tasks, and the work was done evenly.

There were a few bumps along the road, such as one of our group members not being present for the first half of the project. We also had a disagreement at the worst of times, right as we were filming. We had trouble agreeing on the location of filming, but ended up compromising in the short time we had. As a result, a few scenes from the original screenplay were excluded. From a cinematographic stance, the video was compelling and unique from my normal style of filming. And I am glad that I got the chance to try something new. Yet, a good part of the storyline was missing. By deciding where and how we wanted to shoot the movie, we could have possibly made it even better. Nonetheless, I am proud of the outcome.

Unfortunately, the final cut was lost in the production phase and is nowhere to be found. I will update this post as soon as I find it.

After we finished filming our ghost town video, we sat down and created a revising schedule. In my opinion, this is why the movie succeeded. We planned the shot list and order of placement, and each of set to doing a different task. The organization that went into the post production phase made the process very fast, and therefore when it came to handing in our movie, we weren’t scrambling to finish.

Even though my Royal Tyrell museum and Ghost town films were a success, other aspects of this Field School did not go very well. Namely, my Daily Note. This was perhaps the project that excited me the most. The prospect of being able to journal for a school purpose was exciting. I journal on a daily basis, as calligraphy, scrapbooking and bullet journaling are passions of mine. Every morning we were given a different driving question to ponder. I thought I did very well on this aspect, as I tried to infer data throughout the day to support my conclusion. I am proud of the quality of my answers. Now here is the bad news. I could have done much better when it came to mapping out and presenting my ideas in an eye pleasing way. I did tend to get distracted, and my procrastination really took this wheel. This was because I have never had this much freedom when it comes to a school project. I am used to being monitored in my work. It is deadlines that spur me on to complete high quality work. I am the opposite of someone who cracks under pressure. I understand that once I move on from high school, once I go to University and get a job, that I will not have a teacher peaking over my shoulder. I am very glad that I get the chance to practice these habits now, as they will give me a chance to become a more independent worker in the future.

Reflecting back upon it now, being amongst my classmates was not the best atmosphere to be completing this work in. I do tend to become a very inefficient person when I am around my friends, and that is another habit that I must work on. Realizing that I am off task, and routing myself so that I can complete my project will work miracles for me.

In short, I am so lucky to be able to have the chance to go to Alberta. I learned many lessons along the way, all while being able to employ creativity and curiosity. I got the opportunity to think interdependently by doing my daily note. I gathered data through all of my senses, and created the best video that I have every created, which is my Alberta video. I applied past knowledge to new situations, and answered my daily driving question using proof of continuity and change. Through every exercise I took responsible risks, and stayed open to new opportunities. Finally, I thought about my thinking. Last year, I highlighted how I wanted to improve my work ethic in grade 9, and become a more productive person. Now that I have the tools to succeed in the future, I will apply them to all of my work from now and onwards. I will be unstoppable!

Thank you for attending my TED talk.

”Good morning, and in case I don’t see ya, good afternoon, good evening and goodnight.” – The Truman Show