Hey guys, this is our second week in maker which means it’s time for a weekly reflection. We’re continuing on our project about who we think is the greatest Canadian. This week we’re doing more of the research part of this project. We’re researching about who we think is the greatest Canadian and reading other articles and textbooks to help us find evidence for why we think this Canadian is the greatest.

One of the textbooks chapters that I read in class this week was about privacy issues that were with technology a few years ago. Everyone has a right to privacy. In 2013, a man named Edward Snowden passed secret government documents to a news agency. The leaked documents showed recorded surveillance, calls, webcams, and more. There was also leaked information about a group called Five Eyes. Five Eyes works with the American National Security Agency, and the government of Australia, New Zealand, the United Kingdom, and Canada.

In the textbook, there is a voice note from the Prime Minister at the time, Stephen Harper. In the note, he talked about how the Communications Security Establishment of Canada (CSEC) and Five Eyes play a vital role in keeping Canada Safe. Five eyes found a loophole so they could spy on their citizens. Each government spied on each other’s citizens and traded the information.the information.

Before I read about this article, I thought that people’s privacy was a lot more secure. I didn’t know that the government would go that far to try and spy on their people. I found that it was a very interesting problem. Is it better to spy on everyone to protect people from terrorism and cyber-attacks? Or is it better to give everyone full privacy and risk people’s safety?

This week has been interesting for me. I’ve learned a lot about collecting information, whether it’s from other websites, textbooks, or podcasts. This week has helped me get better at analyzing text and information and this will help me throughout the rest of our project.