1st Week of Reflecting

Hello blog, as you know this is not my first weekly reflection, but it is the first week of a new project. Iโ€™ve been getting used to writing weekly reflections as I work on the โ€œGreatest Canadianโ€ project. This week however, was the start of a new project! Of couse it will also be podcast but this time itโ€™s about WW2. Itโ€™s going to focus on the cause and consequences of war, and telling a story.

Knowing that I would be creating a podcast that focuses on someone elseโ€™s story, I listened to a podcast similar to one I would be making. I listened to StoryCorps (Episode: A Reason To Smile) and asked myself how does the hostโ€™s voice support the story being told? How is it structured? What did they decide to include in the episode? This particular episode was happy stories from a few different people. The host provides an intro that gets to the point and isnโ€™t too long. The host also introduces the people, but doesnโ€™t provide an intro that is so detailed that the story is spoiled. One thing I noticed is that sometimes the host comes in after the interviewee speaks and in the right situation, this can make the listener even more interested in the story. As for structure, it was easy to follow, had musical breaks, and didnโ€™t have parts of the interview that would be unnecessary to include. Overall it was a good episode to use as an example for my episode and story I will tell. I will be keeping this episode in mind next week as I begin to find a story to tell.

-Asha

One Reply to “1st Week of Reflecting”

1. A few years ago we did an entire exhibition based on StoryCorps. Amazing the stories people will tell if you just make the space. Glad you listened to it!