Weekly Reflection

Hi blog, welcome back. This week started off strong with the opportunity to talk to a guest speaker from the National Museum of the Pacific War. Chris McDougal answered a handful of questions to help with the building knowledge or sustained inquiry stage of the current project. Other parts of the week included forming a script for my podcast episode and looking at different events of World War II like the Evacuation of Dunkirk.

Something that stood out to me this week was the answers from guest-speaker Chris McDougal. I really liked the answer to the question I asked:

What can we learn from oral history that we canโ€™t from other forms?

His response was that other forms of history or documentation of history provide you with basic facts that you can find on many different sources. Oral history, really adds detail and personality to those basic facts and tells a story.

I wasnโ€™t entirely sure what the answer would be when asking this question, but I asked it because I assumed the answer would be helpful when I work on my project involving oral history. The answer did help me, and definitely shows not just what is special about oral history but its features like details allowing the listener to visualize what is being told, that I can utilize to tell not just a story but a great story.

This week I began figuring out how my podcast will sound, and became more familiar with the timeline of WWII. I look forward to seeing how all this shows through in my final podcast episode.