Technology after WWII

Hello blog, I have a lot to catch you up on as I havenโ€™t made a post in a while. While I was gone I gained some photography skills and learned some cool science stuff in other classes but now Iโ€™m back in the class that is the reason I write these weekly posts! Currently I am focusing on creating a podcast episode (predictable). What maybe isnโ€™t predictable is what the podcast is going to be about. Right now the focus in class is continuity and change from the 1950โ€™s (after WWII) to today. Of course there have already been quite a few class discussions so far where weโ€™ve talked about changes that have occurred over this time. One of the first changes that comes to peopleโ€™s minds is technology so I decided to go deeper and learn more about how technology has changed since the 1950โ€™s.

As the television got more affordable it became the centre of the home for many families. Communication through technology changed as phones, computers and televisions improved, however computers were not yet in homes in the 1950โ€™s. Transportation was also improving allowing people to easily travel for vacations but also making it easier to immigrate as Canadaโ€™s immigration laws changed. These technologies are part of the reason people believe that the 1950โ€™s were a time where quality of life improved greatly.ย 

Itโ€™s interesting to think how technology was improving lives when today some parts of it can be considered to do the opposite, for example social media. Thats not to say that technology doesnโ€™t still have a positive effect, for example todayโ€™s medical technologies. A family home today looks a lot different from a similar one in the 1950โ€™s. There were phones but no computers and now many peoples phones are part of a computer. The television still is often seen as the centre of the home so some things didnโ€™t change.