Hello there, and welcome to another blog post! If you’ve been following my blog, you should be aware that I’ve been doing the Student Blogging Challenge. However, I’m doing something different in this post!

Today I’m going to reflect on our latest project in Humanities… “How it Started and How it’s Going!” 

I’m going to try to keep this short and sweet, because I spent most of the weekend working on my other ongoing project (which I will hopefully reflect on soon).

Silly me forgot this existed, and now I’m so very screwed.

But, quoting my teachers… “It is not about quantity. Although many summative posts are long, that isn’t necessarily a great thing! As your teachers, we are much more interested in the quality of your reflection on the project than a list of tasks you completed with no reflection.”

Let’s try to make some wonderful quality reflections, shall we then? Oh goodness, I’m going to regret this in the morning- 

Anyways… let’s begin! 

In this project, we learned about the historical significance and worldview of events during both the Medieval ages and the Renaissance. Also, we discovered how these events affect our western worldview in modern society. We had to create and learn about a lot of things to ultimately end up with our end product; a museum that represented the 7 aspects of worldview with a companion book that presented our worldview.

Through this, we learned how to use various applications to create our artworks, such as SuperImposeX, Keynote, Book Creator, and many more!

Also, this was a group effort, so we had to work together to create our exhibits. We were assigned roles such as Art Designer, Techie, etc. In the end, we pushed all our efforts together to reach our end goal.

As an introvert, this was challenging since communication and “working together” isn’t exactly my forte. I’ve mentioned my difficulties in earlier posts as well. Although, I believe I am improving, and teamwork is slowly becoming easier for me!

I’ve learned many things through this project… including how living in the Medieval ages sucked for mostly everyone lol. Anyways, let’s move forward to reflect on some experiences, shall we?

I’m going to reflect on only a couple of milestones/stepping stones that I believe I learned the most from.

We followed the project path… starting with launch, and ending with present and reflect.

To LAUNCH our project and create our final product, we used the meme template “how it’ started and how it’s going” from social media. Our introduction to the project was to create a meme of how you were at the beginning of this school year compared to how you are now.

The following image is the very first meme I created for this project…

Ah yes, very basic indeed 😬

Looking back at this, my finished project really strayed away from my first draft… and that’s totally fine. With this meme, I found that I was very nervous about taking a picture of myself… so I showed how I’ve become somewhat “afraid of the camera” when compared to my older photo where I’m more confident.

Honestly, the pandemic has changed my worldview a lot, and I’ve become more reclusive and private. In other words, I’ve become a literal social hermit.

Continuing on that note, after we learned about a little about museum layout, we actually had the opportunity to design our own little exhibit including our meme. I definitely changed my meme and improved it to show my point better 👍

I’m fairly happy with my design, and I really like the idea of glass panels. If you would like to read my explanation, click here!

I’ve learned a lot about what goes into designing an exhibit for a museum… and there a lot more than you may think. Lots of exhibits actually tell stories, and I’ve really tried to convey this through my design. I expanded my view by making the actual walls and shape of the room a piece of the artwork to help convey my worldview.

Milestone 1 falls under the curricular competencies of “Responding to Text” and “Empowered Learner.” I believe that this assignment accomplishes these through how I found a way to convey personal themes creatively while using technology to present it.

As I am quite a private person, I’ve tried to show my thoughts on life in the most artistic way possible, so that it’s up to interpretation by the audience. When I am the viewer, I love to interpret art and writing, and find meaning within small things (such as glass panels).

I loved having a lot of freedom to explore and design something that relates to me on a personal level. Also, I got to relearn perspective and play around with some “glassy” textures (which is something I don’t really cover that often in my artwork.)

We also brainstormed our worldview through using all the 7 aspects; knowledge, time, beliefs, values, economy, geography, society, and connecting these to events in your life.

We then turned it into a collage that presented our worldview.

Here’s mine:

Later on, we would turn this collage into a little companion book for our museum. You can check that out here…

This milestone falls under the curricular competences of “Responding to Text” and “Empowered Learner” as well. I believe that I’ve also continued to accomplish these through my work.

Although I really like my collage, I believe that I could have been a little more personal on showcasing my worldview. Like milestone 1, I used my art to represent the aspects of worldview in my life. This was a really opening experience since I had to pick and choose events in my past that most affect my worldview. If I were to do this milestone over again, I would include the pandemic as a major event in my life.

The most stressful part of this project (in my opinion) was a written test where you had to write a piece of writing that presented an event from history, and why it’s important today. The last time I had to do something similar to this was during the FSA’s (at least I got to type this time lol!)

You can check mine out here!

This milestone falls under the curricular competency, “Establish Historical Significance.” I believe that through this milestone, I’ve extended this competency, because I somehow managed to show how a certain event changed our worldview overtime.

Honestly, I think I could have done far better with more time, but I believe I did fairly well with the time constraints. Sure, there was a lot of grammatical issues, and my spell check was off for some odd reason (awkward laughing), but I think I might of covered the competency? There are a lot of things I would’ve changed, but in the future, I’ll be sure to manage my time better!

This is very ironic, since I’m suffering from the same decisions at this very moment (time management is definitely something I really need to work on.)

On the bright side, at least we were allowed to take our helpful Cornell notes along with us!

FINALLY, I’m going to show y’all my final meme…

TA DA-

I’m very proud of my final meme 🥲

*crying tears of joy*

You can also read my longer artist statement here!

It took forever to edit the image, and I’m super happy about how it turned out in the end. We learned how to use SuperImposeX to change the original paintings, and I discovered that I really like using the app.

The frame however, is a different story…

When I first picked it out, I thought it was great and it looked pretty cool. However, later on, it didn’t turn out the way I originally planned. Also, there were some technical difficulties with the background “not being transparent”. *mental facepalm*

Moving on now-

The final product falls under all the curricular competencies, and I believe that I’ve at least accomplished them through this project. I tried to state the historical significance of knowledge during the ages, and explain why deprivation of it leads to stagnant innovation.

I’ve learned a lot about the medieval and Renaissance periods through finding significance of the past. I also used a lot of technology to create my meme, and I learned how to use certain applications. Finally, I’ve connected my meme to my personal worldview since I live in a society where I am severely impacted by the past.

You can check out our museum here (I tried to embed it, but my website kept crashing, so I just decided to leave it alone 🥲)

We can learn many things from the past; some are terrible mistakes that should NOT be repeated in the future, and others are enlightening discoveries that can still continue to help modern society.

The question of “why does it matter” repeats over and over again on many social media post I’ve seen around. I believe that every lesson humanity has learnt in the past, is always valid to us today. In fact, our current worldview is shaped from those lessons and realizations.

It’s important to be aware of what specific events from the past have affected our worldview, and why things are the way they are. I live in a world where it’s valued to be an educated citizen, and learning from the past is one of the ways you can become one.

For example, during the Medieval ages, some civilizations were based upon feudalism. We can now realize the flaws, unhappiness, and unrest caused by this way of leadership, and move forward with a more fair system.

We can also learn from the Renaissance about the importance of knowledge and innovation on humanity. Alongside learning more about our world, we’ve become less ignorant towards things like science and the arts. Innovation is no longer stagnant, and things like colonization on other planets is now possible.

If you were to look at it in this way, the past… is our future.

Thank you so much for reading this post! I know I promised it would be short, but I just learned so many things throughout this project that it was very hard to not blabber on about it lol! My writing got significantly worse near the end, and there’s probably a lot of grammatical issues.

Now it’s time for me to sleep in peace-

ALSO, the most important thing I’ve learned is that forgetting blog posts is not good for my sleep schedule… nor my Sunday night movie time with a mug of honey-lemon tea. I’m definitely going to try to balance my schedule and try not to burn out on a singular assignment (cough, creating a song took longer than I thought…)

My gifs are from the following sources:

Star Wars

Tenor