Welcome foolish mortals and happy haunts to the Haunted Mansi- blog post. I am your host, your ghost host. Kindly scroll down, and read all the way through please.

There’s no turning back now.

Hello there everyone! I’ve been doing the “Student Blogging Challenge”, and I’m back with another challenge; Celebrations and Festivities!

It may be the beginning of March, and the start of spring. But if you haven’t guessed it already, today I’m going to talk about my FAVOURITE holiday of all…

Halloween.

This holiday has always been one of my favourites since I was young, even managing to complete with Christmas! I’m not quite sure why this spooky night appeals to me, but I know it’s probably a combination of costumes, decorations… and of course, the free candy-

In the end, I would go as far as to say that Halloween will always be a major part of my life.

(I’m feeling very nostalgic and sentimental while writing this… but maybe that’s only because I’m listening to the Inception soundtrack lol.)

To be blunt, my family’s traditions are probably no different from anybody else’s… but I’m going to write about them anyway.

I typically start planning my costume at least a year in advance… BUT as per usual, I don’t start putting the costume together until mid-October, where I scramble to get everything done on time.

About two weeks before October 31, I normally travel to my grandmother’s and grandfather’s house (Lola and Lolo in Tagalog), and decorate the house with my Lola.

On the actual night at around 5pm, my family first goes to my grandparents house (again) for dinner. I quickly gulp that meal down as I wait for the magic hour to arrive.

At 6pm, trick or treating officially begins.

I remember on so many occasions, I would be sick on that day… however, I always stubbornly barged myself out that door. Just keep in mind that this was before Covid though lol.

My old school required us to donate about 60 pieces of candy (I’m not exactly sure of the exact number, but it’s around that.) I remember that I would always give away all the treats I was allergic to anyway, so it didn’t really matter to me…

As long as I can recall, I was never really in it for the treats (I’m probably a liar though, free candy is great!) Since I have allergies, I got used to having to surrender a large majority of my bounty to my parents (although, it’s gotten better over the years as more people become aware of allergies.)

I absolutely loved wearing a costume. I’ve always liked the idea of it being “normal” to walk around and pretend to be someone you’re not (like a fairy princess or a Jedi knight.)

…There’s a certain atmosphere to this season that’s somewhat magical to me.

For the second segment of this blog post, I’m going to share a short poem that I’ve written about this spooky holiday:

This is a time for princesses and witches alike. A time for laugher and a time for fright. As all the goblins and ghouls take flight. The children wish for another magical night.

This is a time for families to take to the streets. Filling their buckets with candy and treats. Until them, every child slumbers, waiting for their precious sweets. With each new year, that one October night repeats.

This is a time for the dreamers to listen. Watch with wonder while the full moon glistens. Remember and stare as a memory becomes a vision…

Oh all those wonderful nights I’ve been missing.

Yes, it’s very cheesy-

Anyways, I hope y’all enjoy your next Halloween (haha, it’s March and I’m talking about fall already.)

My gifs are from the following sources: 

Star Wars

Tim Burton’s The Nightmare Before Christmas

The Haunted Mansion (Disney)