It’s officially only a couple days left until summer, and I can’t wait to sleep more! However, I still have to present one final reflection of the learning I’ve experienced this year… or rather my tPol (transitional presentation of learning).

So sit back, relax, and grab some popcorn, because we’re going to be here awhile!

Driving Question

Why do you feel you are ready to advance to the next grade level?

✨POL Declaration✨

“Thank you for coming to my presentation of learning. I am the expert on my own learning. I am also responsible and accountable for my own learning. You can expect me to give an honest evaluation of my progress. We will discuss my strengths and opportunities for growth. Thank you in advance for listening and for offering feedback that I can use to improve as a learner.”

✨Chosen Core Competencies✨

Goals✨

✨Actions

Projects This Year:

People and the Environment 

Revolutions on Trial

Working with Words

Case For A Nation

A War to End All Wars: Graphically Told

Fails: 

– Stress Management

Growth:

– Dedication 

– Quality of Work

– Time Management

Although I have learned so much from all these projects and I would love to dive deep into each of them, I believe the project where I demonstrated the most improvement was “A War to End All Wars.”  

This project was about Canada’s involvement in WW1. Although I consider myself more of a WWII kind of gal, we couldn’t have head straight to that without meeting it’s predecessor. A cool historical topic was good enough for me. BUT when I heard that the final product was going to be a GRAPHIC NOVEL/COMIC STRIP, I was obviously hyped. 

As someone who’s too ambitious for their own good when it comes to art, this had the potential to be a very bad experience for me. However, I believe I managed to push through and create some really cool stuff! 

Revision✨ 

These are some unfinished panels from when I was experimenting with the style of my comic. This part of the project was most significant to me, because it taught me the following…

– Time Management

– Dealing with Stress

– Working Smart Rather Than Hard

In the end, I managed to finish my comic…

My comic took approximately 14.7 hours to complete. The more complex/detailed panels (which were the establishing shots/portraits) took about 1-2 hours each.

Not only did it help me to understand history, this project allowed me to grow in areas outside of school…

– Experiment with art style, colours, lighting

– Understand comic formatting

– Study anatomy and lighting

• Art Studies

Projects this term:

Game of Exponent Laws

Correlation VS Causation

Chemistry Stories

Metaphor Machines

Meiosis Models

– Time is Money

Fails: 

– Class Participation

– Quality of Work

– Time Management

Growth: 

– Group Work

– Studying Skills

We have made many things in Scimatics this year (including LOTS of videos), but I believe that the work I completed during the Meiosis Models project shows many ways I can improve. 

(I originally wanted to talk about Chemistry Stories, but I explained that in my mPol already and I wanted to show something new 🥲)

This project was all about the reproduction of cells, including both asexual and sexual processes. To show this understanding, we’d have to create a video presenting our own 3d models of each stage of mitosis and meiosis. 

Did that mean I had to open Tinkercad again? Yes. 

• Mitosis #1

Projects this term:

Destination Imagination

Believe in Good

Vibrant Videos

– Your First Film

Fails: 

– Stress Management

– Time Management

Growth: 

– Teamwork

– Quality of Work

Although I wasn’t able to mention “Maker” in my mPol, because we only had the class in the second semester, we were still able to complete a lot of projects! I believe that the work I completed in “Vibrant Videos” and “Your First Film” shows my best work as a learner in Maker. 

Through these projects, we learned about the basics of filmmaking. In the vibrant videos project, I’m particularly happy with the shots and editing I did for the silent film…

(There were about 100 shots!)

(My opening title slide was inspired by one like this. I couldn’t find the specific one I referenced, but I think it was from a Buster Keaton film as well.)

As well as learning filming techniques, we also recapped the history of film. This led me to find a “Magic Lantern Slide” at an antique store…

(A “Magic Lantern Slide” of a ____ Johannesburg Coach)

Is this relevant to my learning? Probably not… BUT I THOUGHT IT WAS REALLY COOL! (I was obsessed with it for a week, but I still can’t find out what the word before Johannesburg means…)

Another example of my learning would be the screenplay I made for my “First Film.”

Growth✨ 

I once attempted to write a screenplay on my own, but I never managed to finish one. Through this project, I believe I’ve managed to understand and grow the skills I needed to write one… 

– Formatting

– Story Spine

– Treatment & Log Line

I also joined a film camp sponsored by the Cinematheque at the library over spring break, and I believe that this project has helped me improve those skills. Now I feel more confident in my abilities and I can accomplish my goals!

“Why do you feel you are ready to advance to the next grade level?“

Reasons: 

1. I want to leave the armpit of life (aka Grade 9 according to Ms. Willemse)

2. I’m excited and ready to grow the skills I’ve learned this year

3. I want to develop new skills that I can apply to my personal work

4. I am prepared to face new challenges

5. I want to graduate please