“TiVo for radio” – Steve Jobs

Hey guys welcome to the first official blog post of grade 10! So far, each year has had a different focus. Grade 8 was photography. Grade 9 was videography. Now, in grade 10, we are taking away the visual. Thats right, we are making podcasts!

The driving question for this project was “how might we create a trailer for my podcast which informs, inspires, and entertains.” Before we could begin making our podcast, we had to first learn about identity. I have already made a blog post this year, which you can read here. I will talk about it here, but I strongly recommend reading the other post. We began this project learning about identity, and more specifically OUR identity because this would help us create a topic for our podcast later on. We, as a class, did a lot of activities to help us learn more about our identity. I think the activity which helped me the most was a ‘bio poem.’ This bio poem, which can be viewed below, was a really good way for me understand myself and my identity. Another activity which helped me with this milestone was creating an identity gif. This gif would be a double exposure photo of me and something that I think is essential to my identity. This assignment really helped me show my progress in communicating creatively. 

The next step was determining what makes a good podcast. This milestone (milestone 3), This milestone would be where I begin forming the basis and idea for my podcast. I had originally wanted to make a podcast about the history of random things. But after some feedback, I switched focus onto something different. My feedback was that it would be tough to make a podcast like that and not be bland. Yes, I know there are other podcasts about history that aren’t boring, but as this was my first time making a podcast, I couldn’t see myself creating an entertaining podcast about that. So, my new idea was to make a conversational podcast about how teenagers view the world. I decided on this topic because I have always seen these crazy and irrational ideas that my generation comes up with on TikTok, so I thought, “what does my generation think of the world.” After a lot of deliberation, I named my podcast “Kidz These Dayz.”

My failed podcast idea

Finally, it was time to create a podcast traIler. I really enjoyed making this trailer. Normally I despise hearing my voice recorded back to me, but this time it wasn’t as bad. The first thing we had to do was create music for our trailer. We did this using Garageband and Apple’s live loops. Then, we began recording our voice. I had interviewed my classmates Matthew and Gabe beforehand for some clips because my podcast is based around interviews, so if my trailer didn’t have an interview that would be a little odd. This milestone really helped me understand and utilize Garageband to its maximum potential. 

I think this was a great way to start off grade 10. This was a very fun project and I actually learned a lot about recording, podcasting, and myself. I will really enjoy making podcast episodes throughout the year, and I really enjoyed having the freedom to create a podcast about anything we wanted. This was a great project to work on communicating creatively, and I think I improved in this competency a lot. 

Well that is it for today, so I will see you all in the next post. Make sure to check for the first episode of my podcast,”Kidz These Dayz”!

Edit: It is now December 19th and I have updated my trailer to match my podcasts new theme, which is the teenage perspective on events and people. Enjoy!