Chemistry Coding reflection

For the project the class just finished was a game or matter simulator in Scratch.

Scratch is basically a coding software on the web that is kind of  difficult to use when I started using it but I eventually got used to it.

My game that I did was either a solo pong or a brick breaker game where the point of the game would be to keep the atoms from touching the ground. Even though it is a super simple game, it is difficult to get a score of over 20 points. I could’ve made some changes but I think I did the best I could.

Competencies:

• Questioning and predicting: Demonstrate a sustained intellectual curiosity about a scientific topic or problem of personal interest

I showed this by having an interest in working on the game and finding more efficient ways of making my game. I also did this by deciding how to make my game more focused on atoms and molecules than just of pong.

• Communicating: Communicate ideas, findings, and solutions to problems, using scientific language, representations, and digital technologies

I showed this competency by finding ways to make my game better and by working out problems that happen during the game. Secondly I had to find a way to pause and make the atoms speed up and slow down. I eventually figured out how to fix these problems and it was fun too as well.

Some of the milestones leading up to the game:

Milestone 1:

We created a mind map on what we knew and what we wanted to know about the behaviour of matter can be explained by the kinetic molecular theory and atomic theory. I am interested that I had so many questions and things I already knew because and I am looking forward to answering all my questions about it.

(Sorry for my bad handwriting)

Gemstone project:

For this stepping stone we measured gemstones to roughly figure out what type of gemstone they were. What we found investing was that even though the gemstones were different sizes and weights, when we tested them in test tubes the water reacted the same to them.

Worksheets:

For this we had 4 different worksheets that we had to do about atoms and molecules. They were mostly about who discovered a certain atom or showing us what each atom looks like. Even though I don’t like them, I still learned a bit of useful things.

Overall I think that this project was pretty fun and I enjoyed experimenting what I could make in scratch.

The more things change – summative post

In The More Things Change unit, we learned about New France and about the effects of European exploration. Me and Julian made a video about one survival tip that we thought people should know. We chose to do our video about how to make a shelter. It went well but it could have gone faster if we worked more efficiently.

The last project that we did was making an infographic about how European exploration affected all the people involved. We also completed a Pages package with a lot of things in it. One of the things that was in it was an Iron Chef protocol package about facts that we found about Quebec. I found that Cirque De SoleiIl was based in Quebec. Also I learned that coureurs des bois were unlicensed fur traders.

I was also proud of what Julian and I managed to make. The only thing I wish we did was make it faster.

My favourite part of this project is when me and Julian were putting little jokes into it even though almost all of them were taken out except for one picture I took of one copy:

The only difference was the that I put in was the Arrow.

I learned that European exploration helped a lot more than I thought because instead of helping for a short time it helped for hundreds of years. I think if I could do the project again I could’ve tweaked it a bit to make it better but it is very good for the time we had.

(Our infographic up in the school)

Thanks again for reading my blog!

Destination Imagination reflection

For Destination Imagination, my group was supposed to make a video for our main challenge instead of being in person because we aren’t allowed to get togther in large groups. I was kind of happy that it was a video because I get nervous public speaking in person and might have forgotten my lines.

Our group picked the technical challenge and called ourselves “Technically Happy”.

We were challenged to make a video about a adventurer that finds the ultimate prize, BUT you had to kinda make it in a video game style. I think that it was great but it had a few problems because it could have been longer in some parts and the background was a bit dark.

There was also some cut content that used to be in the video. There used to be a section in the trial arena where you could see all the events leading up to what happened in that mini scene. We just didn’t really have the time to make it look real, and it wouldn’t have fit within the time limit.

My team worked well together because we all had something important that we completed, which was basically, Aaron- SFX Declan- music, Cooper- sound effects, Julian+ Me- final weapon thingy.

I am really proud of what we made in the time we had. We thought it was so good that we decided to make a game about it.

Thanks for reading my blog and have a good morning.

Blogging challenge reflection post

For this blog I was supposed to make a reflection post about all the other blogging challenge blogs that I have done.

I think I have gotten to be pretty good at writing blogs but I could get better at it. I think I can get better at having less text in my blogs.

The hardest blog post was, even though all the blogs were easy, was the Quality commenting. Even though it was easy, it was the hardest because we had to comment on three blogs. I took so long because it was hard to find a blog post that was easy enough to make a detailed comment on.

My favourite blog post that was very exciting to make was the one about the Antonov 224 Myra. It was the most exciting because I really like airplanes. One thing that I didn’t mention in is was that I originally was going to do it about the Lockheed Constellation. I switched the topic because I didn’t have a lot to write about the constellation. I put in a good amount of work to my blogs, and I am really happy about it.

I think that I will probably continue to blog after this but because I am going to go into PLP again next year I will definitely write more blogs.

Thanks for reading perhaps my last blog in the blogging challenge.

Growth mindset

Before spring break we were focusing on growth mindset based projects. The first thing we did was learn about growth mindset and fixed mindset.

We also completed a sheet that shows what mindset we have. One thing that interested me was that I didn’t get as high of a score as I thought I would. A high score would have meant that I had a growth mindset, so I must have a mostly fixed mindset.  Based on what we have learned about growth mindset, I want to practice to improve my skills.  I will try to not give up as easily, and I will try as hard as I can on projects.  I hope I am already getting better at this.

One place where I had to practice this skill is our last project.  The last project that we had to do was a pick long term goal, do a graphic, and write a blog post about it. I made my goal really simple, and put it in simple font on a black and white selfie.

I chose to make “I will make decisions faster” as my goal because I feel like I am stalling at making decisions and taking too much time to do schoolwork for example, this blog post. I have learned that when I make a simple decision and get started, things usually go better and faster than they would have if I didn’t at least try.

I feel like this project benefited me because it has helped me find out what I need to improve on. Each time I make a decision I get better and faster and more confident.  This works on lots of things both in and out of school.

Thank you and have a good afternoon

Blogging challenge day 10

For this blog post we were supposed to create a blog about anything we wanted. I chose to make my post about one of my favourite planes – the Antonov 224 Myra.

I chose this plane because it is very unique – it is the heaviest plane in the world.

One fun thing I learned about this plane is that there is only one of it and it was originally supposed to be used to fly a spaceship up to 30,000 feet and have the spaceship take off of it. This would save costs when compared from launching a spaceship from the ground.

The plane also costs $200,000,000 to make, which really surprised me.

Something else that is really interesting is that it is so big, the Wright brothers could have made their first flight inside of its cargo bay.

The plane was made in the USSR.  It was completed during the time where the USSR was dissolving, which is why there was never a second Antonov 224.

If you really want to see the plane up close, you can rent it for only $30,000 an hour.

If I didn’t describe it well, enough here is a video that explains it better:

Thanks for reading this blog because it definitely has been my favourite to make!

Blog challenge day 9

Celebration!

For this blog post we were supposed to do two topics about holidays. The two topics that I decided on were a celebration that is unique to my family, and my favourite celebration.

The unique celebration that my family has is that for my parents birthdays we have a birth week. We give them a present a day for a week before their birthday. My dad started the tradition with my mom just after they met and have been doing it for 30 years now. They are usually gifts that mean something to the other person or the entire family. For example, we once got my dad a yodelling

My favourite celebration is Christmas because it is when we all spend time together and people give special presents to each other. Every year we get together with family from across Canada. This year we had to get together with our relatives over Zoom, because nobody could fly. It was still very fun because we could talk to everyone at the same time.

This picture shows our Christmas Eve meal this year – we picked these because they are all of my family’s favourite foods. We also got KFC delivered. It is probably the most memorable Christmas yet!

Thank you for reading my post blog and  have a good night!

How it started how it’s going summative blog post

For this blog post we were supposed to reflect on the how it started/how it’s going project in humanities.

For the project we created a meme about a modernized old panting or drawing. I picked a picture from the Renaissance by Albrecht Dürer. Next I had to make the drawing reflect me and my worldview, so I put my face on the  panting, my favourite shoes and hat, and put modern things into it. I put a paint gun in for a weapon and an iPhone timer instead of an hourglass. I think I did well because I put in a bit of things into the painting without changing what it means. I think I could have made the things I put in look like part of the panting even more. Here are what I did for the milestones:

For Milestone 1 we made a meme about how we felt at the start of the PLP year compared about how we felt later in the year. I felt happy because I used Monty Python jokes for my meme.

for Milestone 2 we had to create a MindNode collage about our worldview and how it affects our life. I liked this milestone because it was easy how easy and fast it was to make it, and I felt like I learned about how I could talk about my worldview.

for Milestone 3 we had to write a test about how one aspect of worldview affects the way we see the world. I think the test went well but it could have gone better if I wasn’t as pressured to do well.  I like thinking about things and writing on my own time.

for Milestone 4 we had to create a worldview collage in book creator and make a statement about what you chose. I liked this milestone because it was easy and I pretty much knew what I was going to put down. I chose the shape of a lightbulb for my ideas and picked different pictures and coloured them for an infographic kind of collage.

for Milestone 5 we had to create a how it started (original art) and how it is going (modernized art). This milestone took some thinking because I had to think about how I can make the art kinda seem like it is in modern times.

In total this project was fun and hard at the same time because there were times when it was difficult to complete a milestone and there were times when it was fun and exiting and I blasted my way through a milestone.

I like how my group looked into history then made original art using our own worldviews and technology. I found it exiting seeing our art in a museum for the public to see.

Here are the link for the museum and exhibition guide:

museum

exhibition guide

Thanks for reading my blog and have a great weekend!

Blogging challenge day 7

For today’s blog I had to create a story from emojis. Here are the emojis that I got:

The story that I created is not that long but it was pretty exciting to think of and write. Even though it took a bit to think of a good story, it was really worth it.

One day George was on his way home from school. He was really bored because it was the same way he went home every single day.

On the way home he stopped a grocery store.  He got a lollipop with his extra pocket money that he had left after he spent almost all of it on his school lunch.

However, this day he decided to take a tram because it would be faster than walking. He also liked it because it let him take some time to think of what to do after he got home.

When George was looking around the tram he spotted a rugby ball. He decided to see if it would be fun if he could throw it at things and try to hit different stuff in the tram.

Even though he wasn’t allowed to throw the ball around the tram it was fun to do it! He felt like a devil for doing it, because he hadn’t broken any rules before. He started off by hitting the seat across from him then the wall on the other side of the tram. He eventually was hitting bugs on the roof above him.

He was so happy at the end of the tram ride that he wanted to do it again, but he had to get home. Ever since then he always found a fun way to keep himself interested on future tram rides. He never got in trouble but every day was very exciting!

I hope you liked my story even though it might have not made sense. Thank you and good night.

Blogging challenge day 6

For today’s blog post we’re supposed to share three things about music. The three things that I did were make some music, share some facts about the trombone, and made a playlist of my favourite songs.

You can find the music that I created here.

Facts I learned about the trombone were that it was first used in Europe in the 15th century when it was known as the sackbut. The sackbut looked like the trombone but it had a longer slide and kind of resembled a bugle. There was also a valved trombone that instead of having a slide had valves like a trumpet. The version that interested me the most was the superbone. The superbone had valves AND a slide which was really weird and interesting at the same time.

Here is my playlist that I created.

Thank you for talking the time to read my blog and I hope you liked the music and facts.