Change and the Storybook Land Canal Boats

Over the course of the last month, we’ve focused on two main topics. Continuity and change, and how they relate to post WW2 Canada and the world. Last week we had a look at an exceptional example of such. That being the rise of Disney, and what it represented to America and the world.

In this process of looking at such, we had an activity. This was to look into a certain Disneyland attraction, and get an idea of what has changed in that single thing over the years. The ride my group focused on was the Storybook Land Canal Boats. In our initial search, we found some information on some of the basic changes to the attraction, such as the addition of “Frozen” themed miniatures to the ride.

But upon digging deeper, we found a more interesting fact about the ride. This being the segregation of the employees by sex who worked at the attraction. Initially, the employees working at the ride were all male, for two primary reasons. The first being more technical, was that the early boats lacked the ability to go in reverse, so had to be manually pulled from the canal at night, which was quite difficult. The second reason, was that Walt Disney though that the cast members/employees were a sort of metaphor for a father telling a fairy tale to his children. Later on, women were slowly allowed to be assigned to the attraction, and oddly enough, there was a period where only women were assigned to work there, until 1995 when it became coed once again.

Romeo and Juliet

Hello and welcome back to my blog. Today I will be talking about my latest project in humanities. This project, was about the Shakespeare play Romeo and Juliet, and many aspects of it.

To begin off the project, we started to learn the storyline of Romeo and Juliet. Our milestone to show our understanding, was to create our own more modern rendition of Romeo and Juliet, that still kept the essential elements of the story. For this, I decided to write a story about children of Mexican drug kingpins laundering money in Caribbean tax havens and accidentally fall in love. This idea proved very popular among the class for our radio play, which I will discuss later in the post.

Next we moved into looking into certain aspects of the story, and others like it. The big focus for the next bit was on what exactly a classic was, and how we could apply it to our podcast topic. For this, we were put into groups of two, and tasked with having a discussion that relates to identity, what a classic is, and our podcast topics. We were then supposed to craft a cohosted podcast episode using that discussion. My first draft of this, I edited it so much that there wasn’t a conversion, but in my second draft I think I made some good points relating to my podcast topic, and included much of the conversation. You can listen to this episode below.

Our next leg of the project was focusing on two movie renditions of the play that we watched in class. A version from 1968, and one from 1996. For this we were put into groups. Our task was to collectively discuss and note down how each movie used the events and perspectives of its time to influence the setting, variation, and other aspects of the play. We were able to effectively come up with relevant connections to all sorts of stuff from the Vietnam War to the US crack epidemic.

After that, it was time to make another podcast episode, this time about adaptations. This episode was also supposed to be in the cohosted format. We were put into the same groups as the last episode, to help us build on our strengths and weaknesses from the last episode to make this one much better. I was able to connect this to my podcast topic relatively effectively like the last one, and better incorporated the cohost format in this episode.

Next was the largest part of the project. For this, our whole class had to collectively work together to create a filmed radio show rendition of the play, which relates to a modern audience. My primary task for this, was to come up with and create sound effects to be used in the play, from random objects. I also ended up playing male Juliet in the play after the original Juliet supposedly got knocked out in the play. Overall I think that the play went quite well, and there were no unscripted issues.

I believe that through all of this parts of the project, I have been able to effectively make the story of Romeo and Juliet relevant to modern audiences, prove it’s place as a classic, and connect the story to my podcast topic to the story in a relevant manner.

The Manhattan Project and WW2

Hello and welcome back to my blog. Today I’m going to talk about another podcast related topic. This time, about the Second World War.

As the start of this post would suggest, we were making our episodes about WW2. But not just any topic about WW2. We had to find a WW2 topic that was relevant to our podcast topic as a whole. This was very difficult for some, but natural resource use was plentiful during the war, and an easy topic to cover. My issue came when trying to find an expert on the topic, who are quite few and far between. For this reason, my topic has deviated towards the Manhattan Project as a whole, which natural resources were critical in.

The first big part of this project, was to explore nationalism. This is of course a key factor for the entirety of the Second World War, so it was very relevant to the topic. We had to write a paragraph about nationalism, and I think a did a good job at using historical examples to proved the significance of it. This was important to show one of the big causes of World War Two. Here is my paragraph.

The next milestones for the project, just involved setting up he structure, and make up of our podcast episode. I explored many sources related to natural resources during the war, and uncovered some very interesting things, to construct the best amount of information to work as evidence for what my episode is trying to speak/represent. At this stage I also began scripting my episode, which was difficult at first because I didn’t have my interview. This was also about where it wad decided that I should focus my episode around the history of the Manhattan project.

For my interview for the episode, I interviewed my uncle, who is very knowledgeable on the topic of nuclear energy, the history of the Manhattan Project, among other things. He gave me plenty of information regarding the background, and entire process to develop the atom bomb.

And now, let’s talk about the end result. I created my episode to include as much of the relevant information from the interview that I could, to fully tell the story of the Manhattan Project. I also started the podcast out, talking about the war prior to the Manhattan Project, and how Canada took advantage of its natural resources to keep Britain supplied and fed. After a few revisions of the episode, I was able to get the music just right, so that it wasn’t too repetitive or too loud. Here is my podcast.

Another milestone that went on over the course of the project, was one about analyzing and connecting to stories. For this we read, and listened to several stories, that ranged from an American reaction to a war declaration, to a WW2 vet who was one of the men who landed in Normandy on D-Day. These not only showed us different experiences of war, but also showed us the effects it had on different people and their families.

Over the course of the project, I believe I have shown my understanding and provided evidence to show the extremely influential consequences of the Second World War, and the Manhattan Project, along with the key roles Canada played in both.

I think that I’ve shown my understanding of the global collaborator competency as I have used both domestic and international sources across the length of the project, and had my interview with somebody, who may be a relative but do live in another country.

Thank you for reading about my latest project. This wasn’t an easy project, but I think that I have been able to learn a lot about the Second World War by completing this, and hope to share it with you if you listen to my podcast episode. If you want to see my podcast’s page click either the Anchor or Spotify links here.

The Greatest Canadian

Hello and welcome back to my blog. Today I am going to be discussing the recent project in humanities. This project was about identifying the greatest Canadian since 1982, and how to establish the evidence in relation to historical significance that would back up the claim of that individual being the greatest Canadian.

We started off the project by taking some notes and coming up with some need to know questions. I won’t get too much into this, but we learned about some key dates and features of Canada and the identity of Canadians.

The next thing we did was come up with an individual we wanted to do a podcast on. For this podcast episode we had to prove they were the greatest Canadian, as you’ll see later. The criteria for the individual was that they had to be Canadian and had lived here some time after 1982. We then had to make a story spine/mountain about their life to learn about some key parts of it. My individual was Stephen Harper.

The next milestone was to do some research on our individual. This was pretty basic and I just used about 5 sources, and a couple pages from the social studies textbook we looked at in class. This helped me improve my citation skills, and will be useful in future.

Next thing we had to do was write a script. I think I did pretty good on this, but it looked very empty without my interview included in it. It went over the early life of my individual and their accomplishments, and was a slightly short but alright length.

Now it was time for an interview. I interviewed a friend of mine who goes by Ed about Stephen Harper. He had some really interesting answers to my questions. You can listen to the interview if you listen to my podcast later on in the post.

Another thing I’d like to mention is that we watched a couple episodes of CBC’s “The Greatest Canadian”. They were the episodes about Tommy Douglas and Terry Fox. These were quite interesting and gave us some insight into ways we could present our argument for why our individual was the greatest Canadian.

The next part of our project was to create our actual podcast episode about our individual. After having some problems with my mic and some background noise, I was able to make my podcast sound very good, and was able to include lots of information in it for only being about 7 minutes long. If you listen to it later

After we had completed our podcast episode and a basecamp post about it, we had to construct an email to send to our interviewee. This was fairly easy to complete. It also helped me improve on my formatting skills.

To briefly paraphrase, I believe that this project has taught me many things. From improving on basic things like formatting email and writing citations, to learning about the necessary aspects to someone being historically significant. Those being profundity, importance, relevance, quantity and the durability of their actions.

This link will take you to my basecamp post about the episode, and allow you to listen to it, as well as view a transcript for the episode, if you would prefer to read the conversion to text.

Weekly Post November 2-7

Hello and welcome back to my blog. This is now my second weekly learning portfolio post. This will be a quick little reflection post about the week.

I think that this has been a very productive week for me for The Greatest Canadian project. This week I got my interview recorded, recorded my podcast, and edited it. However one thing I think I should improve on is my interview preparation, as I had to re-record my interview several times to get my recording to actually get the audio, and need to record my side of the audio again. I should also find a way to use a better mic while doing things like online interviews.

Something interesting we did this week was watch the “Greatest Canadian” TV show episode for Tommy Douglas, and compare it to the episode for terry fox. I think that episode could be extra relevant to my podcast and relate to it as it was a discussion about the political accomplishments of Tommy Douglas. I think that I may be able to use my experience watching that to reform my podcast slightly to use some of the ways the show communicated its point so I can communicate mine better.

Thanks for reading my post this week.

Weekly post, Oct 26-30

Hello and welcome to my first weekly blog post. This is for the week of October 26rd to October 30th.

The first thing I would like to talk about was an assignment on Monday, to look up Canada’s international involvement throughout history. We were told to read a section of a textbook, and pick a part to make a keynote on. I did one on Canada in Yugoslavia. Looking into that assignment reminded me of a CBC documentary I had watched a while back about one of the incidents I talk about in my keynote. I found it interesting that I was able to connect my previous experience learning about these topics to our current assignments and the curriculum.

Here is my keynote and the documentary:

I would also like to give an update on my podcast project. For this I have arranged an interview, and made a final script, and am well on my way to completion.

I think this has been a quite productive week, and I have shown my commitment to my contract grade.

Thanks for joining me for this quick reflective post for the week. Hope to see you next week.

Podcast Beginning

Hello, and welcome back to my blog. Today I’m going to be discussing my latest project in Humanities/Maker. This project was an introduction to podcasts for our class, and set out a plan for the podcast we will be making episodes for throughout the year. Without further ado, lets talk about what we did for the project.

The first milestone of the project, was to tell an oral story to a peer, and record it. We had to choose our topic from a list of potential candidates. I chose to do one on whether voting third party in an election is a waste of your vote. I think I told this story quite well, but my mic had some irritating background noise for some reason which definitely made it not sound as good as it could have.

The second milestone of the project, was to write a post about our identities, and to make a GIF of a double exposure photo of ourselves to go with it. Here is the link to that post. I think I did quite well on that post, but could have used more examples of readings and other media that I learned from earlier in the project.

The next milestone, was to write a plan for the podcast we wanted to create. This is where I settled on that I would create a podcast about natural resources in Canada and how current politics relate to them. Here is my podcast plan.

Our next job was to have a peer critique of our podcast plans, in an attempt to improve them. This went alright, but my partners and my podcasts were so radically different that it was hard to give feedback.

Our next milestone was another type of peer critique, but this time it was a charrette protocol type. For this we had to listen to each others pitch, then ask clarifying questions and give feedback, and then switch roles.

Our final milestone, was to create a trailer for our podcast. This had to include our own music, voice and a script that would get listeners interested in the podcast. We also had to include the cover art of our podcast with it. I think that I made a pretty good trailer, and gives all the information anyone would want to figure out what my podcast will be about.

Here is my trailer:

Thanks for visiting my blog. Hope to see you again.

Identity

Hello and welcome back to my blog. Today I am going to be discussing something very important to all people, whether they think about it or not. Lately in class we have been talking about identity, and today I will break down what I have learned recently.

One of the first activities of this year was to come up with definitions for what “identity” means. Here are a few definitions from different sources, including my own and that of a group I was in during a discussion.

My definition of identity: The combined representation of parts of an individual’s life such as nationality, culture, language, and other factors.

I thought this definition was very thorough and gave you lots of information, but may have been a bit too long.

Dictionary definition of identity: The fact of being who or what a person or thing is.

This definition gives the general idea, but I found it to be too vague.

My Group’s definition of identity: The combined representation of the key attributes and traits of an individual.

I think that this is the best definition, because it combines my long definition and another classmate’s, to give the important information needed, but it isn’t too long like mine.

Here is one of the next assignments we did. It is a bio poem, which uses a general format but has been changed to talk about me. This represents my personal identity because it shows key attributes to my personality and life, just like the GIF I will talk about later. I would even say that the font represents my identity to some extent, as it is fun and playful versus the average font.

Here is a double exposure GIF I make for this post that represent my identity. The Canada flag represent that I’m Canadian. The hammer represents how I like to tinker with things and fix them. The dog represents how my dog is a big part of my life. The headphones represent how I always like to be listening to music whenever I can. The hot dog represents how I really like hot dogs. The school represents how I am a student/learner, and that is a key part of my life.

I based the backgrounds for the GIF and the double exposure on the photo of me, on the outdoors since I love the outdoors, and all the images are Canadian. The other background image is a photo of Lonsdale Quay, because that’s a very recognizable part of North Vancouver, where I live.

I would say these fit within the definition of identity, as they are mostly important attributes that make me who I am. Attributes like location, pastimes, food preferences and current occupation.

Thank you for reading, and I hope to see you on my blog again.

Spring Exhibition Online

Hello and welcome back to my blog. Today I will be talking about my recent blue sky project, and how we presented it at this year’s spring exhibition. This year it was quite different because of distance learning. For our projects we had to focus them on two things. The affects of covid 19 and the UN sustainability goals.

I won’t get into all the milestones of this project since they are all set up, but I will just describe my final solution and reflect on it.

My final idea was as follows.

“As we all know, the effects of COVID-19 on the economy have been devastating. Many small businesses have been forced to lay off employees and even shut down permanently. For my project I decided that I would think up strategies that could be used to restart businesses from the perspective of the federal government.

My first strategy to assist would be to temporarily eliminate the Goods and Services Tax for small businesses. Small businesses would be considered any business in which they have 0-2 locations. This would help them by encouraging people to shop or go to these businesses as there would be a 5% reduction in costs of Goods and Services nationally, while still not taking away from the revenue of the businesses.

The second action I would take would be subsiding small businesses (the same businesses described with the GST section) by way of partially paying off rent of those struggling along with giving them property tax break so less revenue needs to be set aside and less panic is induced.

My third action would be to have government provided PPE if we can stockpile it, because that will allow workers to worry less about stuff such as that and allow businesses to hire without the worry of having too small a supply.

The combined effect of these would drastically help businesses, but would lead to a strain money wise, which we should be able to compensate if the government spent money conservatively post pandemic.”

I think my groups presentation of our ideas including this worked out quite well. It was difficult to come together to figure out a story since our projects were all so different, but we decided to section it into each UN goal to make it easier. We then created a detective story for the presentation. I think this represents the revise competency because we had to revise our story with all the ideas until it made sense.

I think the entire presentation and it’s ideas are a good representation of the take creative risks competency, because the entire presentation method of distanced learning was a creative and new way of displaying our work.

I think I represented the research and understand competency quite well with how I created by project. I researched many different methods of helping businesses and combines the best three,

Thank you for reading about all my Maker projects this year. This will be my last Maker post until Maker 10.

The Great War

Hello and welcome back to my blog. Recently we have been studying the First World War in humanities. Today I will be talking about the different things we learned, the milestones of the project and the final assignment. At the end of the project everyone’s pages were compiled into a final book that is at the end of this post.

The first thing we had to create was something to represent the domino effect that caused WW1 to become such a major war. This is the diagram I made. It’s the flags of the main nations involved in the war put together how the nations are on a map, it describes how the different colours mean different things, and how the initial conflict was just between Austria-Hungary and Serbia.

The second milestone of the project was to figure out the soldier we would be focusing on and get their information. I actually found a couple Canadian soldiers that I was related to that did in fact fight in the First World War. The one I chose was Harold Marsh Wilkinson, who was living in Toronto at the time he went overseas. You can read more about him later in the post where my final copy pages are displayed for my solider and topic.

The next milestone was choosing a topic that relates to the war and research it to create pages for our book. The topic I chose was conscription in the First World War. I specifically focused on conscription within Canada during the war rather than abroad. It was interesting to learn about all the controversy with the conscription laws and how they turned out in the end.

The next milestone had to do with a book study. We were all put into groups for random books, and every week we had to read a certain section of the book and complete a certain activity. The majority of the activities were just doing stuff like writing questions to ask the group I was put in.

And once this was all done, we had to do the final assignment of it, to put our topic and soldier info into final pages for our book. My pages are page 66-69. I think the topic and soldier combined really represent my understanding of the “comprehend” competency, because the entire assignment was to collect information from whatever video or written sources we could, and interpret them in a way that would be best for our book.

One of the biggest things I’ve learned from this project is how people’s ideas and beliefs have changed. At the beginning of the war, nationalism was at an all time high with people, not it is quite a minor factor in modern times. Another interesting thing was how communism rose so much across Europe at the end of the war. Also the thoughts of war, and how those. I also learned about how alliances can lead to such widespread affects, which is probably still very relevant today as we are a member of NATO. I think comparing things like these are a good representation of my knowledge of the “take historical perspectives” competency since comparing the similarities and differences between then and now allows us to see the differences and similarities between the two and adjust our perspective away from what we see as negative today, and see what it would have been like to be there at that time.

Thanks for reading my blog and the accounts of my learning in humanities for the year.