The outsiders.

So here ima talk about the humanities project that we have been doing. We have read the book the outsiders by S.E. Hinton. As we were learning about the book we learned about the different parts of a story including: the exposition, the rising action, the climax, the falling action and the conclusion. We also did activity’s on looking what the outsiders would look like now and we also compared ourselves to outsiders character in the you vs who character analysis. I think my favourite character from the book was Ponyboy’s older brother and legal guardian, Darryl “Darry” Curtis. That reminds me i did not talk about the other characters in the book. These are the main character from the book: Johnny, Darry, Sodapop, Dally, Two-Bit, Cherry and Randy. The first 5 of those character are greasers, and the last two are social. Greaser means poor person or hood, and social is a rich person who might have a mustang. My take on the point of this was to increase our world view and so we could think about the different aspects of world view which takes me to a different part of this project.

So the different aspects of world view are: society, time, economy, values, beliefs, geography and knowledge. So learned about how their values are different then what they would be now and how which values mean more to us then others. The values that are important to the characters in the outsiders and shaped most of their characters and economy, geography and society. These values are important to theme because they are poor so they rely on each other, hence the society and economy. The geography shapes how they act at times because they are in the U.S. south and they can sleep outside if there parents have kicked them out of their houses.

Once we had done all of our learning we did and exhibition to show to our parents what we have been learning in school. Each group was given an important scene from the book enact. My group got the judge scene (so the main character Ponyboy Curtis has to go to a court trial to see if he can stay with his older brother Darryl Curtis). In the exhibition we had to perform the scene with props and then perform the scene again but modernize it they we think it would play out in twenty-twenty-one. At the exhibition we also had our scimatics tectonic chances board game. (At the end of the blog post i will put some clips and photos of the exhibition). 

The point of this project was to increase world view by reading a book, but not just any book: an important book, a good book and referenced book.