The Pythagoras Universe

Hello, friends

Today I will be talking about the scimatics project we have been doing for the past two months it is called laser laws. As you now know by the title we use the pythagorean theorem in this project and we also, are testing the law of reflection. The driving question for this project is: how can we test the pythagorean theorem and the law of reflection?

They first milestone/assignment for this project was the start mind map, so basically all of our questions for the project and our thoughts about it etc.

Mind Map

the second thing we had to do was get down to the work and learning so that’s when we started doing math workbooks, textbooks, etc. here is an example.

1.1 workbook

The second milestone for this project was testing the law of reflection here is the lab sheet

LAB LASER LAWS

For this milestone I could test the law of reflection using mirrors and a ray box.

The third milestone for this project was another lab and this time it was a lab on the iPad it was a ray optic simulator.

For the lab the question was how can we test the Pythagorean theorem and the law of reflection using the ray optic simulator. To test the Pythagorean theorem we made a right triangle then measured the legs and hypotenuse a.k.a. A square plus B square equals C square. Then I measured the angles using a protractor on the iPad. For testing the law of reflection I just placed a mirror facing horizontal then placed a laser then placed a protractor to show the perfect reflection. Here is my lab report!

The Next task was to get with a group and get down to the big project milestone 5: laser display.

For the final project we had to make a board that has a right triangle in it that has measurements of a right triangle. Here is the sheet I made of our steps for this project and the hypothesis and the driving question.

Now after we had it all planned out we had to write the math of the right triangle to show our work.

Here is the Pythagorean theorem for this project and the law of reflection.

The next task was to make the board and here is a collage of photos of us making the board.

Then after the build we did a mini Scimatics exhibition so basically to show our laser display the teacher turns off the lights and then put smoke spray on our project to show the laser in 3d here is the results.

All in all I could test the Pythagorean theorem and the law of reflection. The group for my project was:

Magnus

Keenan 

Cameron L

At the end of all the scimatics projects we always adjust around our intro mindmap to see how far we’ve come.

Here is the compartment from the first to the last.

Now last but not least the core competencies

Questioning and predicting: I feel like for this core competency I demonstrated a big curiosity for this project by asking lots of questions and engaging in conversations with the class and with my team. I also was using my class time very efficiently!

Communicating and Representing:

In this project I was able to show my mathematical intelligence for the Pythagorean theorem. Also, for the law of reflection I was able to know how to measure out the angles very efficiently and I knew how to set up the mirrors etc.

Applying and innovating:

For this competencies the laser triangle was accurately planned built labeled and measured but, all group members did not help. I tried to include everyone in discussions and the building of this project but, not everyone was engaged.

Thanks CameronBR