No Beginnings

Explanation for Visual 1

– The money sign; I chose the money sign because I wanted to use it to symbolize the currency and supplies (e.g. medicinal herbs, new foods, supplies native only to Europe, blueprints, etc.) given to the First Peoples in exchange for beavers and their pelts, which was in high demand at the time.
Bow: I chose the bow because I wanted show people that they were hunting (if “Hunter’s POV” doesn’t do it for you) and I thought that a bow and arrow would be the best thing to symbolize that. The bow could also hypothetically show the fact that things weren’t exactly peaceful between certain First Nations and European groups.
Shaking Hands: I chose the shaking hands emoji as a symbol of agreement between the Europeans and the First Peoples. It was meant to symbolize the trading of beaver pelts and supplies between the 2 groups.

Overall Summary of the “Hunter’s POV” Visual:

Explanation for Visual 2

(Editor’s Note: the beavers probably weren’t actually this smart but if they were human this would most likely be their reaction)
– People: I chose to do a picture of multiple shadows of people to symbolize the “giants” that were invading the beavers home (Europeans and First Nations hunters). I also wanted it to convey the sense of the beings that came there being larger than the beavers and so i tried to make them a big as would make sense in the photo and also make more of them to make them look bigger.
– Ripped Map: I chose to do the ripped map to show how the beavers home was in a way invaded and destroyed and their life was disrupted.
– Skull and Crossbones: I chose to do the skull and crossbones to show how the beavers were hunted and killed off just to be made into hats.
Overall Summary of “Beaver’s POV”: A slide meant to show the beavers perspective on the fur trade and how they might have felt.

Now, it’s time to reflect.The first thing I’d like to touch on is the fact that this project was closely related with the “Arghh Matey” project because they were both partially about the research and discovery of the “New World.” This project took a lot of time and I personally found it a bit uninteresting but I really like the idea of sliding into 2 different perspectives. Something I think I’ll do differently next time is choose a different perspective like the buyers instead of the beavers (the Europeans). I want to do that instead because it was harder to think of things for the beavers POV.

Now to answer the driving question:

What did the establishment of New France mean for all people involved?

From what I’ve learned this unit, I think the answer to this question is that it meant that they had a home in the new world and somewhere to trade, but it also meant that sometimes they would be under attack, and there was a lot of poverty.