“Thank you for coming to my presentation of learning. I am the expert on my own learning. I am also responsible and accountable for my own learning. You can expect me to give an honest evaluation of my progress. We will discuss my strengths and opportunities for growth. Thank you in advance for listening and for offering feedback that I can use to improve as a learner.”

This is the blog post I wrote for my M-PoL, if you don’t know what that is, it’s the mid year presentation of learning. And it is the worst part of PLP, other than DI (That’s a different matter though) Here I present my learning to a teacher and my parents to show how I’ve grown and improved as a learner. Without further ado, please enjoy my M-PoL…

At the start of the year, I was unsure about a lot of stuff, such as what I was going to do in the year, and lots of other stuff like that. E.g. “am I still up to date W. My friends” or “Will there still be Tabletop Games Club”, but then I learned that the PLP trip would be to Alberta, somewhere I hadn’t been before. I made a blog post about it and you can read it below, but there were only a few main effects that would affect me later in the year 

1. On the last day of the trip, in Golden, I was able to watch the second qualifying session for the 2022 Singapore Grand Prix in Formula 1, unfortunately, this would spiral into me being a full blown F1 fan. Thank god for the bus breaking down…
  2. I was able to reevaluate who I was friends with on the trip, and so strengthened some friendships and tried to weaken others. I have gotten very good at this sort of thing.
  3. I learned that a good camera makes me a much better photographer, and my Canon EOS Rebel T6 helped me take some beautiful photos.

Looking at maps for 8 days straight, The Power of Geography

My way of life I’d led at the start of the was been corrosive for my mind, it took away from my life, hobbies, and everything I enjoy. I think that PLP exhausted me, but I know that the exhaustion was sometimes a way of proving the effort I put into my work. The winter break definitely put the wind back in my lungs, I felt better after the break because of the fact that I was, for a little bit, unburdened by anything. So basically, just lying about and doing nothing.

It was awesome

Points of Pride

Humanities. Literally everything in humanities. In Alberta, I grew my skills, abilities, and even humour. In Alberta, everything seemed to go well for me, and I think I know the reason. I think it was because the trip was education by choice, and I think that education by choice led me to extend in that field. In my revolutions project, despite being hindered by my useless group, I still pushed on and, in my opinion, finished my project to a suitable manner. My Slam Poem I made in humanities with Mrs. Madsen was an entertaining project, and mercifully, and individual one. However, I feel like my work there wasn’t showing myself, and I am setting a goal to show myself in my work.

Science. Then again, I kinda have a cheat sheet because my aunt is a high-school science teacher. The periodic table project was a breeze. The Ecosystem project was fun, even though at the end for the final project, I had to work with an annoying partner (Andrew), and in our video we made for the project, I was a perfect POLISH DOKTOR in a video about the Urchin Infestation in the seas near California.

My “Operation” board game was a project that helped me learn and grow as a learner. I personally think that the project helped me learn to ask for help when I couldn’t do something, as this is something I struggle with.

Embed Operation Photo here.

In all, I think science has allowed me to grow as a learner by helping me to learn how to ask for help.

Points of Growth

Maker – in maker, my videography and photography skills improved greatly, I made interviews, sent emails to Ukraine, made photos in Alberta, and set goals. But what I think best showed my growth in maker was “The Vomit Comet”, a rollercoaster that had a 30% success rate. My group members worked decently well, but our design hadn’t been working to plan with the original ideas made, so I decided to try and compromise. By making half of the coaster out of toilet paper rolls, I had increased the success chance, but in the presentation to the teachers, our coaster failed. The definition of “Close, but no cigar”. In any case, I think that this endeavour really showed my growth as a person and as a learner.

Points in need of Growth

Y’ALL GOTTA GIVE ME BETTER GROUPS, THEY’RE BRINGING ME DOWN. I HAD TO CARRY MY REVOLUTION GROUP, ITS NOT EVEN FUNNY, PLEASE, I NEED BETTER GROUPS FOR PROJECTS, AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHH!!! Who knows, maybe my underperforming team members will help me realize what real like is like.

Perhaps this shows an area for improvement by making me realize I have to include everyone, despite their skill levels.

Conclusion:

In conclusion, 2022 and the dawn days of 2023 have helped me as a learner, yet also partly worn me out as a person. As I write this, looking back, I think that my habits, skills, and disposition, as well as support from Teachers, friends, and parents, I was able to make this year the best one on record.

And in the immortal words of both Gandalf the Grey, and my teachers…

Thank you for coming to my M-PoL.