Ultimate Design Challenge!

Hello!

Inside Scimatics, I have been 3D modelling a design out of basic shapes.  During this process, I have learnt a lot from ranging on how to 3d model to calculating the volume of a half sphere.  It was really cool and I hope you enjoy reading!

Driving question:

The relationship between surface area and volume of 3D objects can be used to describe, measure, and compare spatial relationships.

The first thing we did was learn about basic 3D shapes and how to calculate the surface area and volume.  One thing I learnt was how to calculate the volume and surface area of a half sphere.  It was quite interesting and now I can use it in the future.

What was our project?

We had to create 3d objects out of only basic shapes to either maximise surface area or volume.  I decided to create a cargo boat, so I had to maximise my volume over surface area.  I used rectangular prisms, triangular prisms, cylinders and half spheres.  In total, I used about 35 shapes (22 without the cargo).  After that, I had to create a ratio comparing the 2.

What calculations did I use?

If you would like to see all my calculations, here is a document:

Equation.pdf

How have I demonstrated the curricular competencies?

If you would like to see my keynote presentation, here is a video:

Overall, I found this project alright.  It was quite fun building my ship and finding all the calculations.  One thing I think I could have done better was adding more complex shapes.

Thanks for reading!

-Chris