How It Started/How It’s Going

Welcome to another Summative blog post! This is a humanities post about my most recent project. This project was Entitled How It Started/How It’s Going. This title is a reference to a meme that originated in late September of 2020 and quickly spread across Twitter. The driving question for this project was: What can we learn from the past and why does that matter to us today?

How It Started How It’s Going Student Project Guide

To answer this question, there were a series of milestones and stepping stones that we completed to finish the final product; a virtual museum.
There were three different competencies for this project. The first was Responding To Text. Next, there was Empowered Learner and Establish Historical Significance.

Responding to Text: Have I constructed an original personal, critical, and creative connection between myself, the text, and the world with supportive credible evidence?

A milestone I feel I demonstrated this competency well was in Milestone 2. Milestone 2 was making a collage that represents our worldview. This collage had to tell a story about our worldview and how each aspect shaped our worldview. The seven aspects of worldview were beliefs, economy, time, society, geography, values, and knowledge. Here is the collage I created:

A part of the project that I feel I could have improved upon with this competency was Milestone 1. Milestone 1 was where we designed a prototype of a museum room. I could have gone more in-depth on my explanation of my museum room.

Empowered Learner: How might I use technology to construct knowledge?

I used this competency well in Milestone 5 when I was in charge of putting my group’s art into frames for the museum exhibit. I used technology creatively by importing the art in Procreate and using the resize tool to fit each piece perfectly. This process involved a ton of trial and error, but I learned a ton.

Establish Historical Significance: How do we make choices about what is worth remembering?

This competency was very important in our project because the whole project was dependant on deciding what historical events are important to us today. I learned a lot about this during Milestone 3. This milestone was a test that we wrote using our Cornell notes. For my test, I wrote about how Christianity in the Renaissance and Medieval times has impacted our lives today.

If you’d like to check out the museum, here is the link
Here is the book with all of our collages

Answer to the driving question:
As I previously mentioned, the driving question to this project was What can we learn from the past and why does that matter to us today?
Throughout this project, I learned a ton about historical events that have shaped our modern-day lives. For example, the crusades in medieval times were the start of religious wars. To try and answer to question, I think there are tons of historical lessons that we can apply to our modern and western worldview and that it’s important to remember them.

♡︎♡︎♡︎♡︎♡︎♡︎♡︎♡︎♡︎♡︎♡︎♡︎♡︎♡︎♡︎♡︎♡︎♡︎♡︎♡︎♡︎♡︎♡︎♡︎♡︎♡︎♡︎♡︎♡︎♡︎♡︎♡︎♡︎

I think that Milestone 3 helped my learning. For this milestone, I learned how to take Cornell notes and why they were useful. I used Cornell notes to retain a ton of knowledge about Medieval and renaissance times and societies.

In this project, I learned a lot about the Renaissance and the Medici family which I found very interesting. The Medicis were the godfathers of the Renaissance and sparked a new generation of art and culture and I thought that was super interesting. They supported artists and philosophers such as Da Vinci and Michaelangelo. Anyways, that’s a part of the project that I enjoyed!

In conclusion, this project helped me understand what my worldview was and realize what makes it up. Thank you for sticking around!
Sincerely, Me

2 comments on “How It Started/How It’s GoingAdd yours →

1. Love the hearts as a graphic to separate your blog’s ideas. Very cool addition. What historical lesson do you think most taught you understanding for this topic?

1. Thank you! I think the lesson that taught me the most the crusades. That was super interesting to me to learn about.