Ultimate Design Challenge

Greetings fellow humans who happened to stumble across my blog post. This post is all about volume and surface area and our recent project surrounding it. For this project, our main goal was to design a 3D object in Tinkercad that either had maximum surface area or maximum volume and incorporated multiple 3D shapes. Once the object was designed, we had to find the total surface area and volume and make a ratio. 

Competencies

As always, I’m going to go over the competencies used in the project.  

Communicating and Representing: How can I explain and justify mathematical ideas and decisions?

I used this well in Milestone 3 where I did all the calculations for the surface area and volume for the plant desk. I started by finding the surface area and volume for each individual shape and then I added them all together.

Applying and Innovating: How can I contribute to care for self, others, community, and world through personal or collaborative approaches?

I think I used this well in Milestone 1 where Gwen and I worked together to create ideas for our project. In the end we decided on making a plant desk made for maximum surface area. 

Reasoning and Analyzing: How can I model mathematics in contextualized experience? 

Milestone 4 was all about making the actual 3D model in Tinkercad. Gwen and I collaboratively made a plant and a plant desk from 3D objects. Our actual model didn’t actually get printed due to a lack of time but here’s the model we made:

Evidence of my learning

Throughout the course of this project, I used a lot of different formulas for SA and V for tons of shapes. To learn these formulas we did lots of workbooks in class and I learned a lot from that. I learned formulas for triangular prisms, triangular pyramids, rectangular prisms, and lots more. 

That wraps up my blog post for this project! I hope you enjoyed reading and goodbye.

Sincerely,

Me

0 comments on “Ultimate Design ChallengeAdd yours →