Game of Exponent Laws

Hello readers and welcome to another year of blogging. Today I’ll be writing about my first completed project of grade 9. This project was in scimatics and was all about exponents. We learned all about exponents laws and how they work. After learning about exponent laws we then incorporated them into a game. I completed this project with Gabi and Ines, if you’d like to know more about this project then I’d recommend you go check our their blogs. 

To start off this project we did Milestone 1 where we made a mini game that involved dice. This helped us get prepared by involving basic exponents in a game. I completed this Milestone with Hannah and Makenna and these were our rules:

As you may know, PLP projects always revolve around some core competencies. The ones involved in this project were Reasoning and Analyzing, Communicating and Representing, and Applying and Innovating. I’ll be going over these competencies and how I used them well and how I could have done better utilizing them.

Reasoning and Analyzing: Use logic and patterns to solve puzzles and play games

I used this competency well in Milestone 1 where my group and I created games and then played them. These games had to involve some mathematical concepts and it was a fun challenge to try and incorporate all the criteria into some small games. I believe I could have used this competency better in the final game because my group and I only included 1 exponent law which led to us not doing as well as we hoped. I believe we could have used this competency to help us come up with a stronger concept for a game that involved more than 1 exponent law.

Communicating and Representing: Represent mathematical ideas in concrete, pictorial, and symbolic forms

I believe this competency was used well in a Khan Academy quiz that we did that I got an extending by demonstrating my knowledge of exponents on. I think I could have used it better in the drafts of our game rules and included more math concepts.

Applying and Innovating: Contribute to care for self, others, community, and world through individual or collaborative approaches

This competency was used all throughout the project and I utilized it by collaborating with my group members to create our project and using our class time to make a game.

Our final project ended up being a card game that involved quick thinking and exponent comprehension. The premise was that you draw a card with an exponent question on it and then two people see who can answer first. Here are our game rules:

That’s it for today’s blog post, I hope you enjoyed reading and stay tuned for a Humanities post soon!

Sincerely, Me

0 comments on “Game of Exponent LawsAdd yours →