Frankenstuffy Epistolary Story 

A Beary Cold Adventure 
Journal Entry #1Another hibernation season has come to an end. I woke up again not knowing what to expect when I exit my cave. My favourite day of the year is the day when I wake up and look down the mountain on to Great Bear Lake. The climate up here on the edge of the Arctic circle has become so unpredictable. Some years when I peak out of my cave spring is in the air, other times snow is still piled up at the entrance. This year was the latter. A thick blanket of snow still covered the landscape in front of me. I rubbed my eyes several times to make sure what I was seeing was real. I stepped out carefully and shivered in the cold. The wind was strong and blew large snowflakes down into my face. It’s not normally this cold when I wake up. I like the snow so I decided to play around in it for a little while. The snow was almost frozen solid and not as fluffy as it normally is. I didn’t even leave a footprint when I walked. My stomach started to grumble and I remembered how long it had been since I had last eaten. I started to think about all of the delicious fish in the lake at the bottom of the mountain. I looked down the mountain towards the lake and I couldn’t see through the blizzard. I was very confused and a little worried I wouldn’t be able to find my way to the lake. I stuck my snout up in the air and was able to pick up the scent of the lake. I looked back in my cave one last time and started to head towards food.

Journal Entry #2
Normally when I walk down the mountain I listen to the songs of the birds and chattering of the squirrels. This time there was complete silence. The only sounds were of the wind blowing fiercely past my face. I looked around and didn’t see a single organism. It was almost scary how empty Great Bear Lake looked. There was nothing but white as far as the I could see. As I started to get closer to the lake I was getting really worried. Normally all the animals are around the lake this time of year but I didn’t even see a bunny. I stopped walking for a minute because I was exhausted and very hungry. I looked around me hoping to see something I could eat. Way off in the distance to the left of me was a caribou. It was strange to see a caribou alone because normally they travel in herds, which I quickly realized would make him an easy catch. There were no other caribou around to warn or protect him so I started to run towards him. The caribou didn’t spot me until I was about 150m away. He started to run away but he looked tired, almost as if he had just run away from something else. He was still much faster than me though because I was very low on energy. He got very far away from me and I gave up. I had chased him back the way I came so I had added more time to my journey. I stopped for a minute to rest and my stomach started grumbling even more. I needed to get food and I needed it quickly. I turned around and started to head back down the mountain. Even though I was tired I tried to speed up my pace so I could get there faster.

Journal Entry #3
I arrived at the lake earlier then I expected . I was so hungry when I got there I was worried I was going to pass out. Something was off with the lake and I couldn’t put my claw on it. I looked around for anything to eat. I am a tertiary consumer so I can eat almost any organism. There was not a living thing around. I headed towards the lake so I could catch a fish. When I got to the side of the lake I tried to stick my paw in the water. It didn’t go in. I tired again and the water was solid. I quickly realized that the lake was frozen. I took a few steps back and just sat down. I was starving at this point and I was very worried I might die, I had to find something to eat. I went into the forest next to the lake to try and find anything. I looked in trees and under rocks and still nothing until finally my nose picked up the scent of something. I followed it deeper into the woods and found a small rabbit. I was ecstatic to finally find food and gobbled it down and felt so much better. Food had never tasted so good before. I was very tired after my long trek down the mountain and was still hungry, but I had enough food in my stomach to feel comfortable. I found a cave and headed inside for a nap. I knew I would have to find some way to get more food but for now I needed to rest. I would think of something when I woke up.

Journal Entry #4

That night while I was asleep something strange happened. I had a weird dream where I became friends with a Pegasus, a dinosaur, and a fire fly. When I woke up I felt different. The blizzard was still in full force. I was very hungry again and decided to head back down to the lake and try to break the ice. Walking back to the lake I felt warmer than I had before. I also felt like something was following me but every time I turned around nothing was there. When I arrived at the lake I looked at my reflection in the ice and almost passed out. I had grown large, white wings and my nose was glowing. I looked at my reflection some more and realized I had also grown a large spiky tail. That must have been what I thought was following me, as well, my nose was glowing a light purple. I concentrated very hard and was able to make my nose make some sort of beam of light. With this beam of light I could see way further into the blizzard. I then tried to use my wings to fly but they were too small to carry me off of the ground but they did a great job of protecting me from the blizzard and keeping me warm. I wasn’t quite sure what I could do with the tail. Even though I had grown many new features I was still very hungry and needed to get food. I turned away from the lake to try and find a rock to break the ice. As I turned around my tail hit the ice and smashed it, this saved my life. I quickly turned back around and stuck my paw in the water. The water was extremely cold but I grabbed a fish and got out of there as quickly as possible. I headed back to the lake and the water was already frozen again. I continued to break it and grab fish until I was so full I couldn’t stand. I then headed to the nearest cave and curled up in a little ball but it was hard to sleep with my new wings. I tried to get comfortable and all of a sudden my wings shrunk. They shrunk into green wings that were smaller than my paw. That made getting comfortable a lot more easy. That was the best day I have had since I woke up.
        As the bear slept a monster ran wild outside of his cave. The monster was 11 feet tall. It had the body of a human with the head of a bull. It also had a very pointy tail. It was called a Liman. It ran around the lake eating everything it saw. There wasn’t much food left because it had ate almost everything the night before. The Liman was mad that there wasn’t much food. He filled with rage and let out the most ferocious roar ever heard. It stampeded through the woods knocking down trees as it went. He was too angry to go to sleep and continued to rampage through till the next day. 

Journal Entry #5

I woke up this morning to complete silence. The blizzard had completely stopped and there wasn’t even a breeze outside. You could smell the cold. I looked to my left and many trees had fallen down. The blizzard was very intense last night so I suspected that they fell down then. I didn’t have a very good sleep last night because I was awoken in the middle of the night to what I thought was thunder. I headed back down to the lake and for the first time since I finished hibernation it wasn’t snowing so I could see footprints on the ground. The first footprints were from an animal I have never seen before. They were very large and looked very similar to a caribous but looked almost as if they had talons coming out the bottom. Me, being the very curious bear that I am, decided to follow the prints. They lead me closer to the lake, however as I was walking I started to rethink my decision. What if this creature wanted to harm me? I had never faced a predator before so I had no idea what I was going to do. This creature seemed huge and I worried that I was no going to be able to fight it off. I wondered if this creature had something to do with the lack of food in the area. I knew I needed to find out so I continued to follow the prints. I got close to the lake and it had started to snow again. The snow picked up very quickly and became a blizzard again. I knew I would have to move fast if I wanted to follow these prints because the snow would soon cover them. It was hard to see ahead of me through the blizzard so I used my new nose to help me see. I also grew my wings out to keep me warm. I arrived at the shoreline and slowly looked around. The prints had disappeared a while ago so I had just guessed where they led to. As I looked around I some something way further down the shoreline. It looked small and I thought it may be another bear which would explain that lack of food. It then stood up and was huge. It looked at me and it roared very loudly. It seemed to be annoyed by the light from my nose. I was not willing to stick around to see if it would attack me so I quickly headed back up to the cave. I had know idea what to do. This explains why there is no food, I thought. He needs to be stopped and he needs to be stopped now. I went to sleep and tried to make it down to the lake in the morning to get food. I knew that I needed a lot of energy for tomorrow because I was going to fight the monster. I was terrified.

Journal Entry #6 

I woke up this morning and my stomach grumbled. I started to leave my cave and head down to the lake but then I remembered the creature. I headed out of my cave and the blizzard was still going strong. I needed to try and hide my self so the creature wouldn’t find me. I didn’t use my nose light because that would draw attention to me. I wrapped my wings around me to protect me from the blizzard. They were a very similar white to the snow so they helped hide me. I started my walk down to the lake to get food. I had walked down there so many times recently I could do it with my eyes closed. As I walked I hoped that the creature would not find me because I knew I wouldn’t be able to fight him without eating first. I made it down to the shoreline without running into the creature. It was a lot harder to get fish this time because there seemed to be a lot less than last time. I gobbled down the fish until I had enough energy to fight. I turned around to look for the creature and there it was. Standing no more than 15 meters behind me was the scariest thing I had ever seen. 

The Liman and the Bear made eye contact. The Liman could smell the fear coming off the bear from miles away. He charged at the bear but. the bear quickly made a turn to the left and started to run towards a large tree. The Liman followed him and quickly caught up. In the last minute the bear turned away from the tree and the Liman ran directly into it knocking it down. He was a little shaken up from hitting the tree but quickly headed back towards the bear. The bear knew he wouldn’t be able to run away this time so he got up on his hind legs and charged back at the Liman. The Liman took one swipe at the bear and knocked him down. The bear quickly got back up and attacked the Liman. They battled for a while and the bear weakened. Just when he was about to give btbinstead quickly spun around and whacked the Liman with his tail. The Liman fell back screeching in pain. He got up and ran into the woods never to be seen again.

Journal Entry # 7

The battle was tough but somehow I defeated the monster. When I saw him again I thought I was done for. I guess my new adaptations also gave me some extra strength or maybe I’m just stronger than I thought I was. I thought I was defeated at one point but I got up and with one swing of my tail he was done. He managed to run away but he was very injured and I don’t think he will last long in the cold. That night I was so tired I slept for a whole day. When I left my cave this morning I was already noticing more animals had left their homes. They all looked fuzzier than usual. It’s probably because they are adapting to the cold too. Any thought I had of leaving had faded away. Even though it is much colder here, I have found out why there was no food and was able to conquer it, I will continue to live here. Hopefully the weather will warm up soon like it normally does. Even if it doesn’t I love the lake way too much to leave. It will defiantly take some time for the populations to get back to what they were before. It seems like most of the small animals were just hiding and the monster primarily ate the caribou and moose. There seems to still be enough left for me to survive until the winter. I will probably have to have a diet of mostly small creatures such as rabbits because there are tons of those here. Hopefully my life will go back to normal now so I will probably not write here as often. Now it’s time to go live my life. I’m pretty excited to see what else I can do with these wings and tail. 

Journal Entry # 8
It’s been a few of months since I’ve last written a journal Entry. I’ve been very busy with my life. The first few weeks after I destroyed the monster were challenging to find food. Luckily I had my new tail which made it a lot easier to catch food. For the first month or so I used my new wings a lot but I haven’t used them much since. The blizzards have stopped and the snow is mostly gone. It is definitely getting warmer but is still colder than it has been in past seasons. A lot of the other animals have shed their new winter coats and are a lot less fuzzy. It’s a lot nicer to eat animals that aren’t super hairy. The populations of the animals have grown but it isn’t as big as it was before the monster. I’m actually starting to enjoy the colder weather. Every time I exit my cave it’s very refreshing to enter the cold. The lake isn’t frozen anymore but it is still very cold. I take a lot less baths than I used to and I try to stay out of the water when I’m catching fish. I have already started to eat more food to fatten up for hibernation. If this weather continues I will probably hibernate earlier and longer because of the cold. This is my favourite part of the season because I love eating. The more I eat the happier I am. Speaking of which I’m very hungry now. I think I’ll go and try to catch a caribou.