mPOL

Hi, my name is Daniel. Today, I will be discussing my accomplishments, fails, and learning throughout the last half-year. This will be split up into three sections, one for each subject. Let’s get right into it.

Scimatics

This year in Scimatics, I have done three projects. I never seem to have struggles in Scimatics, as I excel in math, and enjoy science.

The first one was a small introduction into what a project would look like. We had to make a chart using numbers. I think my chart was very well decorated, and I used the calculations feature really well.

Our second project was to make aboard game, while learning about tectonic activity, and the movement of plates. I think I collaborated well with my partner, and our visuals, such as our gameboard and cards looked really good. Something we could have done is playtest our game beforehand, as it ended up taking a really long time to play. I got to improved my group working skills, and ended up collaborating quite well. Originally, we were going to 3D print game pieces, but I wasn’t very persistent and didn’t end up getting that done. Next time, I should make that commitment and get it done early, so that it doesn’t turn into a mess later on.

Our third project was about lasers. We had to build a laser display, using the law of reflection. This project went really well for me, as I extended in most areas. Our shape for the display was complex, we decorated it really well, and we showed the mathematical concepts in a write up, and on our display itself. There wasn’t much I could have done better, except maybe putting more effort into my workbook pages. What I find with them, is that they are really easy, so stop trying my hardest. Its only a small part of my time though so its not a long term problem for my learning.

That is it for Scimatics. The things I should focus on for the rest of the year are: putting more effort into my workbook pages, and being more diligent with outside resources, and tools. I need to work on giving my best work all the time, instead of slacking off.

Humanities

I have a love-hate relationship with humanities. I enjoy learning about history, politics, and what’s going on in the world around me, but I despise English, and literature. I don’t have any struggles with humanities except dealing with lots of homework, which I’ve gotten better at over the last few months.

The first project we did was about advertisement. Me and my group had to create an advertisement for a local business. Our business was the local lift. I showed a deep understanding of how advertisement influences us. While making the ad, I found that I am pretty talented in design. My final ad was very though out, and every part had a reason to be there. But, my first ad was nothing like that. Fortunately, we got to learn about how making many drafts, and getting critique, can make your work amazing. Using my new found skills, and critique from my group members, I was able to create an eye catching advertisement. In this project, I learned how many drafts can lead to great work, I practiced my design skills, and got better at working with groups.

The second projects I did was about literature. The point was to read a book called The Outsiders, then think about how it can teach us about worldview. Over the course of around three weeks, we read chapters of the book, answered questions, all the while learning about worldview. Once the book was finished, we had to perform a tableau of The Outsiders, at the winter exhibition. The twist was that we had to perform a second tableau, in which The Outsiders was set in 2021. We had to think of how the worldview of the characters would have changed. In this project, I learned what worldview was, and how it influences our thoughts and experiences. I also became noticeably more confident in public speak, as I had to perform an introduction more than fifteen times. I also learned some more literary terms that I didn’t know before.

The third project that I’ve done in Humanities this year was about expressing our worldview using poetry. We learned about poetry, what it is, different types of poems, how to make meaning in your poems, and we also read and wrote poetry. This in his project, I got to reflect on who I am, and find deeper meaning in things. I got to really think deeply about stuff, which is great for your mind. After learning about poetry, we made eBooks, containing all the poems we had made so far. To be honest, I could have put a lot more effort into making my eBook. My poems where thought through, but the eBook itself wasn’t the best. It wasn’t awful, but I could have done better. On the last day of school, we performed a live coffeehouse presentation. To practice my public speaking, I signed up for the concluding lines, and introduced my group. I’m kinda proud that my poem was picked to be performed by my group, as I never really thought of myself as someone who is good at poetry.

To conclude Humanities, the main I need to improve on is to always be giving my best work.

Maker

Maker has been a wild ride this year. I’ve done many completely different things. Generally, Maker is a breeze, my only struggle being keeping up with with constant homework. But, as I’ve said in previously, I’ve gotten better at this.

The first project I did was about learning more about myself. We had to write a user manual, as if we were iPads, and we had to explain our different modes, and uses. I felt really happy about how mine turned out, but it wasn’t very long, and over the course of the year, I decided to try and improve at writing longer texts. In this project, we had to think and reflect  on who we are, which was good preparation for the rest of PLP. At the end of the project, we had to present our work to all the parents at a mini exhibition, to get us ready for what the winter one would look like. I was very confident when presenting my work, and spoke very clearly.

The second project was more of a skill building session. We split into two groups. One of the groups learned about how to take really good photos, and the other learned how to draw, using your apple pencil. After two weeks, the groups switched. When drawing and taking pictures, I showed a solid understanding of the material, and put my all, in every assignment.

The last project I did was a series of blog posts. Knowing that I needed to improve at writing longer texts, I used this as an opportunity to do so. I wrote four well structured posts, containing anywhere from 400 to 900 words. I’m really proud of each post, as I put allot of effort into making them, and put my heart into them.

In general, the things I need to work on are putting more effort into my work, and doing always being on top of my homework. The second thing is much better than before, but could still use some work. Overall, I don’t struggle with school, and sometimes enjoy it. Thanks for reading!