A Very Large Hat Company

New France was an interesting place, at an interesting time. It was a huge part of Canadian history. In this slider I compare the two sides of the story. The successors, and the latter. But how did I get here?

What did New France and the fur trade mean for all groups involved?

In the project, we learnt about the importance of New France. It ties perfectly to the last project we did, on European exploration. We learnt about why New France was a desirable location economically for the French, and the English. Over the course of the project, we watched videos, took notes during lectures, and even acted out a simulation, all to help us understand the importance of the fur trade in Canadas history.

The Final Product

The goal of this project was to create two pictures, showing two sides of a story. I chose to do mine on the construction and development of New France. I researched what life was like, and what people had to do in order to make life work there. Over multiple drafts, I tried to show how some people had really happy stories colonizing New France, while others really suffered.

To answer the driving question, I think the fur trade made colonizing Canada something worthwhile, and also really boosted the economy of the European countries. For the first nations, it meant that there would now be a huge shift in lifestyle, as the European population grew in New France.

As far the project goes, it was mostly a repeat of the history I learnt in grade seven. It was interesting to learn the same knowledge in a different way though.