On the Oregon Trail – My Oregon Trip

In October, my grade 8 PLP class went to Oregon for a week to learn about Oregon’s coastal life and the environment. This may sound like just a school trip, but we did some pretty cool things like going to the Great Wolf Lodge for thanks giving dinner. I definitely enjoyed myself, even though I had a bit of a cold.

My Trip Summery 

On Saturday, October 17th, at 6:30 in the morning we left for Oregon in our bus (I would have preferred have slept in). After driving for a few hours, we made our first stop in the U.S at Cabela’s. Later that day, we arrived at our first campsite, but it was raining pretty hard, so we ate pizza in our cabins instead of outside. The next few days we spent doing various activities like visiting the Astoria column and Fort Stevens.

The Astoria Column 

Our second campsite we went to had yurts (which were good because they were a lot warmer than cabins). At this part of the trip, we were starting to explore Oregon’s coasts by visiting places like Cannon beach and the Hadfeild Marine Science Center. We also got to build R.O.V’s (remotely operated vehicles) and compete with them which was awesome.

Our R.O.V

After spending nearly a week in Oregon, it was time to start heading back home. When we left our yurts, we were supposed to go to another beach, but it was raining so hard that we went to go see the movie Trolls, which was surprisingly funny. That night, we went to the Great Wolf Lodge for thanksgiving dinner, then stayed at a campsite that had heated cabins (thank goodness!). The next day we went Black Friday shopping at a mall and then headed back to seycove. Oregon was great, but when I got home, all I wanted to do was sleep.

Passing Seattle on the way home

My Book

As we travelled through Oregon, we kept a log of what we had done in our Oregon iBooks. We were asked to include pictures, paragraphs, videos, and drawings, as well as some personal touches. As we went through Oregon, I wrote my paragraphs and took pictures, but I had to make my backgrounds when I returned to seycove (mainly because wifi was limimited on our trip). If I were to make this book again, I would remove the template shapes from the example pages immediately so that they don’t get stuck in the corners (See bottom left corner of Cannon Beach page for example). I would also make my backgrounds first to make the rest of the book easier to make.

Want to see Trolls, Lego, Cats, and more?!           Click Here!

My Advertisements

Another assignment we had to do in Oregon that was tied to our advertising unit was to make 3 advertisements during our trip. We had to make a buisness ad, a tourist ad, and a tsunami advocacy ad. The first thing I did to make my ads was take many pictures with my iPad at different angles. Then I edited them and decided on which ones I liked best. I then put the three photos I liked into the app Canva to begin customizing. Next I thought of what the main text should be, what it should look like, and where it should be on the page. Finally, I added logos, addresses, borders, and banners and my ads were ready to advertise! If I were to make these ads again, I would make sure to take more pictures because some of them were a bit rushed and had a few flaws.

Here are my ads:

My business ad for Nisa’s Thai Kitchen

My tsunami advocacy ad

My Tourist Ad

The Oregon Field Study

At first, I thought the Oregon field study was just for our Oregon books, but later I realized that it is also a key part of our winter exhibition. We learned about Oregon’s history, costal life, weather, and a surprisingly awesome Walgreens. The purpose of doing this feild study, like I stated earlier, was so we can learn about Oregon’s costal Environment and use the knowledge we gained for our winter exhibition projects. I really liked when we went shrimp sucking in the mud flats, and when we went to the aquarium, but I didn’t really like the Hanthorn Cannery or the Columbia River Maritime Museum.

A Puffin at the Oregon Coast Aquarium 

Thanks for reading! New posts coming soon!