My Oregon Coast Field Study Trip

Recently, I went to Oregon Portland for a field study trip as part of PLP Grade 8. We visited many good restaurants, and significant landmarks such as the Astoria Column and the Yaquina Head Lighthouse. I enjoyed my experiences from everywhere I went, and learned many things while I was at Oregon. 

One of the most memorable learning experience on this trip was our time that we spent in the Hatfield Marine Science Center. The whole time I was there, I was learning something new. I learned that the piece of debris at the front of the building was a piece of building from Japan that washed in because of a tsunami in 2017. I also learned how to go slurping for shrimp at low tide, as well as build R.O.V. (Remotely Operated Vehicles) to control and pick up metal object from the bottom of a pool.

Some interesting facts that I learned during this trip was how the bar is one of the most dangerous places to navigate through on water. I also learned that the jetty is a man made wall that was created during world war 2. When our group went to visit the jetties, they were rebuilding it, because it was crumbling after the years of the sea beating  against it. I also learned about why the Tilamook cheese factory was established. It was because the colonizers thought that the wet cool climate creating the healthy grass was an amazing environment to grow cows. 

My most favorite experience from this trip was going zip-lining at High Life Adventures. The staff was friendly, the nature around us was nice, and it was a very fun experience overall. I really liked zipping by the trees and over the lake, doing cool trick on the zip line and being scared by the guy in a yeti costume at the end. I think that was the most fun 3 hours of the whole trip. 

I think that this field study trip was a good experience for me, because it was the first time that I went out of the country without my parents. This experience taught me to be independent, and gave me a chance to get closer with people I wasn’t really close with, and gave me chances to get even closer with my friends. It was a great bonding experience as well as an amazing learning experience. To get a more detailed story about my trip, go and read my Oregon Field Study Journal that I have embed below!