Running a Remake

Running a Remake Blog Post

Hello there blog readers!

This is my first ever blog post since I am new to PLP 9 so hopefully all goes well.

We have just reached the end of our Running a Remake project based on video skills and editing. The final goal of this project was to recreate, as closely as possible, a short film called ‘Run’. This meant same clothes, camera angles, and the length of frames in the film.

Just so you know what this film is supposed to look like, I have it here if you want to see.

Let’s start with the Driving Question: How can we learn video skills by recreating a short film?

I personally learned video skills when we needed to shoot specific angles and lengths of shots and by editing and making sounds that match the films time and speed. 

There were 4 milestones to this project; The first milestone was to make a short introduction video of ourselves. The second milestone was to make a plan on how we would make this video. And the third and fourth milestones were really about creating our final product.

I felt the first milestone was a nice introduction to the project.

In milestone 1, we had to create an introduction of ourselves in an app called clips. This gave us some basic knowledge on how to express mood using music, stickers, and sound effects. We also learned about creating a setting so that an audience could better understand where and when the film was taking place. When I made the first draft of my introduction, it was pretty lousy. There was not any music nor effects and I was really just blabbing out stuff about myself. After we learned about the effects and the different ways we could enhance our video, I managed to make a little video with many strategies to make it more exciting. Here is the improved video.

In Milestone 2, we made a plan for equal distribution of roles  in the group. This was made to organize and prepare us for the movie ahead.

When it came to making the exact replica of Run, I realized that there were plenty of things you had to incorporate not only to make a film, but also to recreate one. In fact it was probably harder because you could not make it unique. The location, and angles had to match the original movie exactly. This made it so that locations were harder to find, and shots had to be retaken if angles or acting did not match the film.

I worked with Sophia, Amy, and Logan to edit film and make the best video we possibly could with the resources we had.

We made 2 films in the span of this project. I think there were some pros and cons to both of our attempts. Our first one was missing some detail but our filming and acting was pretty good. And in the second one, things were a little bit rushed, the detail was there, but there were some filming flaws. In the end, this was our final product.

Now for the curricular competencies. There was one curricular competency in this project which was – “Innovative Designer: How might I design a solution to a problem, process, or challenge?”

I personally found a solution to this curricular competency by making sure I watched the video many times and put feedback that we got into filming, editing, and overall making our video better.

So that’s it for this project. I will see you all in my next blog post whenever that may be!