Hello!

My first Scimatics blog post! How exciting.

In Scimatics we recently finished a unit on plate tectonics. It was really interesting to learn about our earth, and how we are actually standing on huge slabs of rock that move around under our feet. In this unit, we worked on three Curricular Competencies:

• Questioning and Predicting
  • Applying and Innovating
  • Evaluating

We had 5 Milestones to complete in this project. One of them is this blog post.

The most important Milestone was the Tectonics Book. It had to include at least 10 Key Concepts from the textbook pages we read, and we shared it with grade 4s and 5s from Cove Cliff Elementary School.

Anyways, here’s how I demonstrated each Curricular Competency evaluated in this project.

Questioning and Predicting: Demonstrate a sustained intellectual curiosity about a scientific topic or a problem of personal interest.

I demonstrated this competency in multiple places throughout the project. I was focused on my work during class time, and I did extra research on topics discussed to better understand them. I also always studied for quizzes and tests. 

Applying and Innovating: Contribute to care for self, others, community, and world through personal or collaborative approaches.

I used this competency when I was reading to my reading buddy at Cove Cliff. I made the topics easy to understand and explained points that my buddy didn’t get. I also made the book more immersive and easier to for my buddy to connect with by using Minecraft to illustrate the book. 

Evaluating: Demonstrate an understanding and appreciation of evidence.

I demonstrated this competency when I do research and found more information on plate tectonics. I put more than 10 Key Concepts into my book, and the plate tectonics was the central theme of the book. 

Here are 2 MindMaps that I created over the course of this project. As you can see, I learned a lot!

• This was the MindMap that I made at the beginning of this project. 

• This is the MindMap I made at the end of this project. 

So that’s it! My first Scimatics project has come to a close. (Technically it’s my second, since we did another one on fractions that I didn’t write a post about.)

See you on my next blog post! (hint, hint)

Cheers,

Evelyn 👩🏽‍🦱