Chemistry Coding Blog Post

This project was all about the kinetic molecular theory. The driving question was “How can the behaviour of matter be explained by the kinetic molecular theory and the atomic theory”. To answer this question we had to create a simulator or game that shows the kinetic molecular theory, and has two or more atomic models. 

Before we could do any of that though we had to do our start mind map. Mine was mostly questions as I didn’t know much about this unit. Below you can see my end mind map which was just me adding and answering my start mind map questions.  

After that we did a few experiments the eye dropper and gemstone 💎 experiments.

Then we started coding using a website called scratch. I found this a very fun and interesting part of the project as I got to learn to create games and simulators. By the end of the project I had created an scientific simulator with oxygen and water particles that change states. Even though it is a little glitchy I am very proud that I created it. Below is the scratch code that i used for one part along with my completed simulator.

Curricular competency’s 

Questioning and predicting: demonstrate a sustained curiosity about a scientific topic or problem of personal interest.

The start mind map was where I best showed my curiosity on this scientific topic. During the creation of the start mind map I was thinking about what I needed and wanted to know about this project, showing my curiosity. 

Scientific communication: communicate ideas, findings, and solutions to problems using scientific language representations and digital technologies.

I think that this was the competency I did my best on. I showed it in my simulator when I made it so the particles are always  moving, when I made it so the particles change states with the temperature, and when I showed both oxygen and water particles.

Reasoning and analyzing: use logic and patterns to
solve puzzles and play games. 

This competency was showed when I created the code for the simulator. I had to find out what each line of  code did and figure our how I can make it do what I wanted. I used logic to make it so when someone changes the temperature/pressed a button it changes the state and speed of the particles. It seemed at times that my code was broken and I used logic to fix and improve it. I also helped some of my classmates understand how to use scratch to better improve their simulator.

So after all of that I think I am really to answer the driving question “How can the behaviour of matter be explained by the kinetic molecular theory and the atomic theory”. Matter has three different states the kinetic molecular theory explains that when heat is added to matter it changes states. This has been a fun, hard and interesting project it made me think about how I want to learn more about coding in the future. I also learned that I work well collaboratively. This project was a very enjoyable way to learn science.

The More Things Change.

The more things change is the name of my project. This project was 5 milestones long and it was about Europeans setting in Canada our driving question is “How did European settlement effect all the people involved”. To answer this question we had to create an infographic. This infographic was then put up somewhere around the school. We also made a video explaining the infographic you can watch this video above. 

For this project you were partnered up with another classmate for the last three milestones, my partner was Nolan. 

The first two milestones were relatively simple. We had to write a reflection on how deep cove has changed, and complete a chart about continuity
and change in the time of European settlement.

The next three where more based on the final product an infographic that answers the driving question these were also the milestones that we worked on with our partners. Milestone three was when we had to come up with one fact + graphic for each of the three groups involved in the European settlement.

The three groups are…..

1. The British 
  2. The French 
  3. The First Nations 

We also had to write a thesis that answers the driving questions and connects to the three facts.

The teachers then gave us critic on our facts and graphics and we revised them
for milestone 4. Milestone four had multiple tries and versions. This milestone
was our final infographic with the three facts + at least three graphics, the thesis, the statement on continuity and change, and at least three sources in
alphabetical order. We handed this then into Showbie got critic on if fixed what we needed to then got more critic we did this multiple times and in the end we  had finally made an infographic that makes sense and answers the driving question.  

You might think that that’s the end of this wonderful project but its not we then had to create a YouTube video that shows and explained the infographic. This video was made in an app called keynote with a thing called magic move. This video is showed at the top of this post.  

This project also included two curricular competencies I showed the first competency (identifying continuity and change) in milestone 2,3,and 4 as all of them included me identifying and writing about continuity’s and changes during the time of European settlement. The second competency (Using evidence from various sources )was showed in milestone 3, it was showed in milestone three because that is when we had to make our three facts, we had to know if our information on the fact came from a reliable source or not and to make sure we show where we got our info. Over all I think I ☀️accomplished☀️ all of the curricular competencies. 

That brings us to the end of this very fun and interesting project I learned a lot about what European settlement was and how people were effected.

Argh Matey Blog Reflection.

Hi. This blog post is an end of project reflection on a project called Argh Matey! This project was all about the European exploration of the new world! During this project we had to learn about Christopher Columbus with his “discovery” of the Americans, we had to learn about the Columbus exchange, and much much more. In this project we learned about cause and consequences, both the cause and consequences part of the project and the European exploration part were put together to create the end project.   

Before I tell you about the end project I need to explain how we used an app called AR Makr to put together the end project. This app is an augmented realty (AR) app this makes it so you can add 3D or 2D shapes to a room to make it look like it is actually there when you look at it in the app. 

Now combining the three things I have talked about, I made an AR video on the European exploration using cause and consequence! I made a cause and consequence sheet on the European exploration, created drawings for each event, wrote an paragraph explanation, and then I added it all into the AR Makr app to bring it all alive. For example, I brought a boat from Christopher Columbus’s time and also some indigenous people. This showed the Columbian exchange and the start of European exploration of the Americas.

I enjoyed making the end project even if there were a few problems like the AR app not saving my progress, or the fact that my writing explanation took forever to record. Over all I enjoyed how we put our learning about the European exploration into a new app.  I hope you enjoyed learning about the Argh matey project.

My first experience with DI

Hi for the past few weeks i’ve been working on a project that has been both fun and stressful, this project was called destination imagination(DI). For this project we were put into groups and in those groups we tried to find the solution to the problem assigned to our group. We filled out a survey saying what group we would and wouldn’t want to be in. The groups we could be in were….

-engineering: where the problem we had to solve used engineering 

-technological: where the problem we had to solve used technological thinking 

-scientific: where the problem we had to solve used scientific thinking 

• fine arts: where the problem we had to solve used fine arts 

The group I said I wanted to be in was engineering and I got what I wanted. I was put into one of the two PLP 8 engineering teams. There was two engineering teams one with each of the humanities teachers. You might want to check out some of my teammates blog posts for DI:

Ines

Alfie

Samuel

Gwen: http://www.blog44.ca/gwenl

max: http://www.blog44.ca/maxl

Mateo: http://www.blog44.ca/Mateok

For our solution we had to build a model of a building showing how opposites can be complementary. We had to include one visual art style and one architectural style. We chose to do Renaissance and post modernism for those. We also had to include 2 style features and two visual art styles. 

Our visual art styles were the roof and the shape of the building as it represented post modernism and our style features were the Renaissance themed furniture and paint. Along with all of that we had to come up with a story around the model of the building to again show  how opposites can be complementary. Then we were to hand in the video showing our solution. For the skit we chose to act as people of all ages from an old grumpy person to a youngster and we even had a millennial. We did this to as another way to show how opposites can be complementary. Here is our video!

Even thou I know that this video isn’t as good a it should have been I know that I definitely learned a lot during this project. I learned that it is very hard to work together as a group on projects like this. I learned that DI takes a lot more patience then I first thought, and that time management is more important than you might think.  Lastly I also learned that DI takes up a lot of time and a lot of thought. Overall this project was very interesting! 

Growth mindset!

For the last two months, I’ve been learning about different types of mindsets. We learned about fixed mindsets and growth mindsets and  how a growth mindset is better for the future. A fixed mindset is when I see things in one of two ways. I can do it or I absolutely can’t. A growth mindset is when I see things as a learning experience in order to get better at something you need to fail at it as well. If I am thinking in a growth mindset I would think that I can learn to improve this skill.

Every Tuesday and Thursday we would learn more about Growth mindset and how it is good to fail in order to succeed. We also made a growth mindset book where we reflected on what we had learned about growth mindset each week. We also made a growth mindset selfie that had a long term goal on it for our future. Below you can see both of these items!

Throughout this project I realized that most of the time I do think in a fixed mindset. I found the growth mindset questions hard to answer. I don’t really understand how I think.  I hope you enjoy reading how bad I am about answering growth mindset questions. OOPS! There goes my fixed mindset again!! I mean I hope you enjoy reading about how my skills about understanding my mindset has improved. 😃

Final blogging challenge!

For my final blogging challenge post for this year I had complete two tasks. 

The first task was to write a reflection on my participation in the challenge and to think about the past 10 days that I have written post. To do this I answered multiple questions here the one of the questions. 

Which post did you enjoy writing the most and why?

I enjoyed writing the 😃emoji story post 👍the most because it was a very creative way to practice writing stories and I got to see new and exciting emojis that I had never seen before. 

By answering these questions I was able to reflect on all the interesting work that I have done these last few weeks. 

The second task was to write about my blogging plans for the future. My plans are very simple I will continue to write in my blog as the school year goes on. I will reflect on each project that I do next quarter in scimatics. If I were to add to the blog in a personal way I would add videos of me reviewing my favourite books. I would also write about my family adventures. Lastly I would include more photos in my future posts. 

This concludes my very last 2021 blogging challenge post. I really enjoyed learning all these new ways to blog, I hope you enjoyed it too. 

Celebrations and festivities

Hello today I am doing another blogging challenge. This weeks blogging challenge is about festivities and celebrations. For this I had to write about one celebration/festivity and explain a photo that I thought best showed one of my festivities/celebration.

Family celebration 

Christmas Eve: Christmas Eve is the day before Christmas and my family has special traditions that we do every year. For the first tradition we go to the church service at 4 o’clock as a family. We also have a Fondue supper every Christmas Eve. We have chocolate fondue caramel fondue we have bread with great cheese sauce and we all enjoy it as a family. Next we all open up our secret Santa gifts. Every year Everyone pulls a family members name out of a hat then you have to buy a gift for that person secret Santa. The last tradition that we have on Christmas Eve is we all take her mattress down and sleep in the living room all together we usually have a terrible sleep but it’s still fun. The last tradition that I just mentioned only happens once every two years because on the other year we are visiting our family in Alberta so we don’t get to sleep in our living room but instead we get to see our aunts, uncles, cousins, and grandparents so I think it’s a fair trade. Those are the fun traditions that my family has and I enjoy every single one of them.

A fireplace 

I chose this object because I think it is one of the best objects that represents my Christmas. For me a fire place doesn’t only remind me of  warmth, but it also reminds me of Christmas. Every year on Christmas (here or in Alberta) we open our secret Santa gifts on Christmas Eve and our family gifts on Christmas Day. We open our gifts in our living room and in our living room there is a fireplace that we always turn on.  A fire place also reminds me of Christmas because every year when all of my family comes into the living room to decorate our tree we turn on Christmas music and we turn on the fireplace. A lot of my best memories from Christmas is when we are by my fireplace as a family having fun and that is the reason that I chose a fireplace. 

That ends my festivities/celebration blog post I hope you enjoyed reading it!

“How it started how its going” project reflection.

Hi this is my  “how it started how its going” project reflection. This project took about four weeks and the driving question was “what can we learn from the past and why does that matter today?” Like most of my other projects there were 6 milestones that we had to do so we could answer the driving question and make the final project. 

The final project was a “how it started and how’s it going” meme. On one side of the meme there was a medieval or Renaissance painting that connected to my assigned worldview aspect. The other side of the meme was a modified version of the first painting to show how the aspect has changed or stayed the same today. My aspect was on the topic of beliefs and how beliefs bring people together. After we had to make a virtual  museum exhibit so other people could see our memes. Then we had to present our virtual exhibit in a zoom meeting with our parent and teachers watching.

To start the project we had to learn the definition of worldview and say what my own  worldview was. I found this one of the more difficult parts of the project. I didn’t really know what my worldview was. After I identified my own worldview, we did milestone 2. For this milestone I had to take five main events from my life that has shaped my worldview and make it into a collage. This collage was based off of two curricular competencies. The first one was empowered learner where I had to use technology to help improve my learning. In my case, I had to learn how to put photos into keynote and how to draw photos to add to the collage. For the second competency, I had to show how I can respond to text. I showed this when I wrote my paragraph with the collage. I got a ☀️ for this milestone. 

The next important milestone was milestone 5. For this milestone, I had to create my final meme. In order to do this milestone, I had learn how to use a lot of different photo editing apps. One of these apps is SuperimposeX. In this app, I photo edited my own family into my Renaissance meme! The painting that I chose for the how it started side of my art, is called “Flight into Egypt”. It is based on the story of how Joseph was warned in a dream to take Mary and Jesus to Egypt because Herod was going to kill all the baby boys. This connected to my aspects of beliefs as it showed that their belief in Christianity brought the people in the Renaissance closer together. This showed the establishing historical significance curricular competency. 

The “how it’s going” side of my art showed beliefs bring people together even today. I replaced Mary and Joseph with my Mom and Dad. I also add the rest of my family members around baby Jesus to show that our belief in Christianity brings us closer together. I am proud of some of the other details I added that people believe in and that can bring them closer together.  For example, one of the not very obvious details I added is the set of hands in the top left corner. These hands show that people’s beliefs in social justice like equal rights can be powerful. Way in the far background I put the Canada place and the Vancouver skyline. Being a Canadian means we believe in a free country where everyone has rights. So where you live can affect what you believe in. This final project used all the curricular competencies we had been working on during the 4 weeks.

The last part of this project, other than this fabulous blogpost, was the LAUNCH of our virtual museum. Each role group created a script so we could present on a ZOOM meeting with parents and teachers. I was a DRI. The directly responsible individual for the beliefs group. I found creating the script with the other DRI’s challenging because all of us like control. We are the bossy people. At the ZOOM meeting I found it challenging to speak to the computer instead of to a regular audience. I loved the launch because it was a way to do an exhibition during COVID. I remember going to Sam’s exhibitions and seeing the everybody with their own creative project. The museum that was out together by my class and teachers was a very creative way of doing a project. Each room was different and each room had their own object that matched their worldview aspect. The guided tour was amazing because it showed you everybody’s art in every room with a click of a button. I also liked how I could see the ghosts of the people visiting the museum. The virtual museum because my grandparents could see my work too. 

So back to the driving question!! “ What can we learn from the past and why does it matter today?” The first thing that I noticed is that every room in the museum showed how history matters today. All rooms showed that the same aspects areimportant today as they were in the past. But we represented them in different ways. For example, my room showed how beliefs are still important to people today. The crusades were terrible. It was a very bloody war. Learning about the crusades can help people with religious beliefs not make the same mistakes. My family is Christian and we don’t think that the Christians in the crusades were doing what the Bible says about living our faith.

People can value beliefs but change how it looks and learn from the past. If we don’t learn from the past then we repeat the same mistakes.

Overall I think my class showed a great understanding of the different aspects of worldview from the Renaissance and medieval times to today. Personally, I am most proud of the 5th milestone. Even though there were times I was super stressed and didn’t think we could get it done in time, this was a very interesting project that came together in the end. I would like to say sorry to our teachers because we may have shortened their lifespan because of this project.                        

😁Emoji Story👍

Hi. Today I had a very fun challenge where we had to make a story only using emojis that are computer generated.  Here are the emojis and the story I made to go with them.

Emoji story

Once upon a time

There was an amazing 🍩 donut shop. That sold by far the best donuts in the whole town, the whole province, maybe even in the whole world  

Every day 

A man named Lincon would come and buy a dozen plain chocolate covered donuts with rainbow sprinkles. Then he would go to his boring day job that he hated. Even though he hated his day job he loved his night job as a magician though he could never figure out how to pull something out of his hat on the first try. 

One day 

He was doing a magic act beside a small pond. He was trying to pull his favourite food  a 🍗 chicken leg out of his hat. After a few embarrassing tries he finally pulled it out of his hat. Suddenly a frog jumped out of the bushes and took his chicken leg.

Because of that

the man chased the frog 🐸 around the field trying to get his food back. Then the man tripped on a log and fell face  first into the mud 

Then 

Because the man fell on his face he cried😭 in pain and he cried because his magic show was ruined. The frog felt so bad because he knew it was all his fault. He wanted to do something to make up for it. He got a great idea

From that day on

Instead of a chicken leg the man would pull a frog out of the hat 🎩 . It worked every time!

There it is my emoji story. I know it is unrealistic but that is the story I came up with from those emojis. 

I had a lot of fun writing this story/ trying to come up with it I hope you had just as fun reading it. Bye 👋 

Music.

Fun facts ( and a quiz) about music!

Welcome to my music post where I will tell you about an instrument, tell you about a music writer/musician, and then you could try the music quiz I made. 

First I will tell you about the instrument I used to play in grade 6 and 7 the clarinet. Even though I no longer play it I still wanted to know more about it, so I researched the clarinet and here is some of the things I found.

1. The clarinet was invented sometime after 1698 by Johann Christoph Denner. 
  2. The clarinet is the most popular single reed instrument.
  3. Over ten types of clarinets
  4. Made from Acrylonitrile butadiene styrene or ABS
  5. Most famous clarinettist include Anton stadler (1753-1812)
  6. You need a reed to make a sound on it
  7. A clarinet  doesn’t break easily 
  8. For all ages
  9. You can play many types of music on your clarinet one type is modern music. 
  10. To help someone learn more about how to play a clarinet I am putting this YouTube video of the first three steps here

Now that you know a lot about the clarinet lets learn about a great musician who I am sure you all have heard about Ludwig van Beethoven. He was a great songwriter and musician that lived from 1770-1827. He was born in Germany and his work ranked amongst most preformed of the classical music. He wrote nine symphonies, and the fifth symphony is the most famous symphony. He started to wright a 10th symphony before he died though he was never able to finish it. 

Finally for this post I made a music Kahoot that you can try. Post a comment below to let me know what you thought about it.

That concludes my music post. I learned more about music today so I really hope you learned a little from reading this too.