PeckaKucha

What went well?

My final presentation on the 14th went phenomenally well, I stood tall, looked at the audience/speaker directly and spoke with my full chest (I didn’t even need to use my script cards!)

What did not?

Throughout the entire lead-up to presentation night, I was wide awake anxious

How can I improve?

I probably should have practiced a whole lot more

How did you contribute?

I did exactly what my group instructed, no more, no less

How did the field study help you learn?

Our trip to Seattle helped me gain the groundwork for our PeckaKucha

group members

Ronan

Charlie M

Francis (Me)

Off the walls bonkers!

I’m working on a project in humanities called “Cray Cray Yay Yay 🤪” the driving question is: “Why does it take a crazy person to change the world?”. Heres my answer to that question

The reason it takes a crazy person to change the world is that only a crazy person would ever be so bold enough to come up with revolutionary concepts. One of the most popular being Science Fiction (Sci-Fi)

The idea of Sci-fi, writing a story about somewhere that is so far from our reality, is pretty crazy, you get to make the rules, and you get to choose the tech, and it’s literally like playing god. The reason this changes the world is simple, sci-fi is pretty damn popular. You have the greats like the Terminator, Star Wars, Back to the Future, and Ghost Busters! all very popular and influential franchises, and are still around to this day! But the future doesn’t need to be hidden behind a screen 

The space needle is what put Seattle on the map, the reason it’s so crazy is that the engineers and construction teams of Seattle proved to the world that, when you put your mind to it, you can bring a city into the next century, this changes the world because it demonstrates that, even in the ’60s, the future is just one innovation away. But the future isn’t just restrained to tech and infrastructure.

The Climate Pledge Arena is an almost 100% carbon-neutral arena and the home of the Seattle Kraken and Storm, this changes the world because it proves how we can surely end global warming by the end of 2050. But they’re not the only ones making the world a better place

The Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation is a museum to educate about women’s inequality and what the Gates have done to help impoverished areas of the world, this changes the world because it’s almost unheard of for a wealthy man to use his wealth to help others. But if there is one thing that screams wealthy business, it’s planes.

The Museum of Flight is the first thing you see when you land at King County International Airport, it has many planes on display, from the earliest hot air balloons to the most advanced fighter jets! In the 1900s, the idea of flight was speculated to only be possible in a millennium… then the Wright brothers flew just 8 months later! this changes the world because planes are used to transport both freight and passengers, without planes, Amazon might not exist!

My overall point here can be summarized in a single sentence: “The human imagination, is wild”. And when you put the imagination to work, the things you can do the ways you can change the status quo, are numerous!

Who Are You Gonna Be? 🤷‍♀️

Why is this question important? Because it’s asking what kind of person (Kind, Rude, etc.) you want to be in the future.

In the bitter cold of January 13, 1982, Washington, D.C. found itself gripped by tragedy as Air Florida Flight 90 crashed into the icy Potomac River during takeoff. Amidst the chaos and despair, Lenny Skutnik emerged as an unexpected hero.

As the stricken plane sank into the frigid waters, Skutnik, a bystander, witnessed the horror unfold. Ignoring the biting cold and potential danger, he leaped into action. The freezing river welcomed him, but his only focus was on rescuing those in need.

Spotting Priscilla Tirado, a survivor struggling against the current, Skutnik swam determinedly towards her. With unwavering resolve, he managed to reach her side and pull her to safety. His act of courage stood out amidst the tragedy, a beacon of hope amid the icy waters.

The nation took notice of Skutnik’s selflessness, and his heroism became a symbol of ordinary citizens rising to the occasion. President Reagan acknowledged Skutnik’s bravery during the State of the Union address, inviting him as a guest of honour. The spotlight shone on this unassuming hero, emphasizing the resilience and courage that can emerge from the depths of ordinary individuals in times of crisis.

Lenny Skutnik

Lenny’s actions, as I described, exemplify the qualities I aspire to. His lack of hesitation, disregard for personal concerns, and immediate response to someone in danger highlight true kindness and bravery. It’s stories like these that inspire me and reinforce the importance of helping others selflessly.

I aspire to be a kind and brave person, always ready to help without hesitation in times of danger, which is a commendable goal. It reflects a strong sense of empathy and courage.

Despite facing numerous setbacks and encountering frequent delays throughout the course of this project, I persevered. The journey was marked by moments of stagnation, but I ultimately succeeded in bringing the project to completion, even though it required a certain degree of rule-stretching to meet the deadline. This experience taught me valuable lessons in resilience, adaptability, and the importance of navigating challenges to achieve my goals.

“Success isn’t about how much money you make. It’s about the difference you make in people’s lives.” – Machell Obama

Although my novel note-taking progressed at a slow pace, I found myself completing the last 10 chapters at the eleventh hour. Similarly, I delayed my interview until the final moments. Despite these time constraints, I managed to meet the deadlines, showcasing my ability to work efficiently under pressure.

Prioritizing happiness is a significant perspective, as it is the foundation of a fulfilling life. Without happiness, one risks a state of stagnation, both figuratively and, to some extent, literally. It underscores the importance of well-being and contentment in the overall quality of life.

Numerous factors influence the person I aspire to become. Among these inspirations are specific incidents, including but not limited to:

I aspire for my future self to embody traits characterized by happiness, positivity, and heroism. This vision reflects a commitment to personal growth and a positive impact on the world.

Human Book

Were you able to achieve a meaningful conversation?

I asked the man “What was the craziest stunt that you’ve ever performed?” he responded with a stunt he accomplished that had him set ablaze and fell 18 feet onto a table. I was impressed!

What were some connections you made?

As I am such a safe individual, it was interesting to speak with an individual whose profession consists of anything but safety!

What were some differences between your experiences?

Because I took a break during round two I only talked to two out of the three people. The only thing I remember about the first guy was that he did something with bicycles and biking routes.

From this experience, how have you developed your knowledge of asking questions and having discussions? 

Well for one: being present helps and for another, I am focussing this year on enhancing my social interaction skills.

Case for a Nation

It a game about how the CPR connected Canada, need I say more?

Okay in case you’re new here, here’s some more information.

The Canadian Pacific Railway (CPR) is essential to Canadian nationalism because it has played a major role in the expansion of Canada, the promotion of tourism, immigration as well as the country’s efforts during both world wars. The CPR transported goods from coast to coast and back again, it would also transport immigrants to ether the prairies or BC. This was very important for the success of Canada. Case in point, British Columbia. Before BC was apart of Canada, it was in the middle of intense staring contest between British North America (BNA, aka Canada) and Oregon, in the end BC agreed to join Canada IF a trans continental railway was built, and so it was. 

Rise of the Frankinstuffies! 🧟‍♂️

When I started this project, I was a bit of a pain about it. (I have severe aichmophobia) However when I convinced Ms. Pitches of letting me make a digital T&F OC, I was ecstatic! In the end I ended up choosing a LSWR 0298 as the base and Stacy as the name. Originally she was painted in Red with Gold Lining, however I decided that the story would take place when she first arrived on Sodor so I went with LSWR royal mint green. Her personality was decided after a discussion at dinner with my mom, who suggested a rather stuck-up personality. When I started writing, I only had the first story in mind, I made up the rest as I went along. The trailer was much of the same. Am I proud of this project? Yup 👍. I learned that teachers can be flexible and if i have a good plan and negotiate with them, they might let me do it my way. I covered all of the expectations. (except for the sewing part)

M-Poll 2023

⚠️WARNING⚠️

BEFORE YOU READ

June 2023-ish
This is Francis from ✨Ze Future✨ DISCLAIMER I wrote this while quite angry 😡  I lied to my mom and told her I didn‘t have to do this assignment. She found out. But too late. In this I am very rude to my teachers and myself, neither of whom deserve such.  You can sincere because I am using fancy words. I don’t remember why I was so mad but that it irrelevant. I am choosing not to change it as a way to reflect in the future and not make the same mistake again.

January 2023 ish
How have I demonstrated growth as a learner so far this year?

I’m handling things i don’t like better and better 

How can I sharpen my Learning Plan to ensure I will reach my learning targets by the end of this school year?

By following the schedule me and my mom made last year

Of the work you completed so far this year, what are you least proud of? Why?

Almost all of it, because it is the definition of a dumpster fire 🔥

What project did you struggle with? Why?

Almost every project, because I’m really not the sharpest tool in the box

What is the most interesting thing you have learned so far year? What did you find most boring? What was the difference between the two experiences?

Most interesting has to our Alberta trip (although I only went to rogers pass before calling it quits). As for most boring? Well… every single other learning experience. With the main difference being trains 🚂 (take the hint seycove, t a k e  t h e  h i n t)

What decisions did you make about how to approach different projects this year?

To just go for it, -which was a terrible idea

How did you decide how to allocate your time and attention?

I put my attention to the most important thing at hand

How did you “FAIL” this year? What did you learn from this experience?

I failed in pretty much every aspect

Did all the work you completed this year meet your standards?

Nope. Not even close.

What skills did you use and what skills do you need to continue to develop?

The only “skill” I have the fact that whoever grades my work sucks at their job

Did your goals for your work change as you worked on it?

Nope. Not in the slightest.

When did you feel dissatisfied during the process of working on projects?

During the entire thing

What did/do you find frustrating about PLP work?

The fact that I’m too stupid to understand what the [___] is going on

What does your work reveal about you as a learner?

That I’m as dumb as a brick

If you could change something about the work you have done so far this year, what would it be?

Actually follow the instructions

What’s the one thing that you have seen in your classmates’ work or process that you would like to try in your next project?

Following the freaking instructions!

What are you going to strive to achieve in the remainder of the school year?

A higher IQ