Scimatics Lazar

Before I learned about lazars I thought it would be boring. I usually think something that I don’t understand will be boring. Before I this class I thought lazars were sci fi only, like death rays you see in action movies. Boy, was I wrong about being bored and death rays.

Overall the project was really fun. I like science and math anyway and this was both. I was surprised that lazars were actually a real thing. I was worried that if looked at the lazar a certain way I would go blind. I was careful with the lazar when I was experimenting with it and setting it up.

If I grow up to design or repair locomotives, lazars might be useful for welding.

2)  (I am having trouble loading the picture of my web.  I will need help.  It is on Showbie)    

3) Write about each curricular competency

Questioning and predicting: I demonstrated a sustained intellectual curiosity about a scientific topic or problem of personal interest by :

I demonstrated curiosity about the topic. I asked several questions during the project and eventually got them answered.  For example, I asked can lazars cut through anything. The short answer is no. I really thought lazars would be able to cut through ANYTHING! I am glad I asked the question.

Communicating and Representing: I represented mathematical ideas in concrete, pictorial, and symbolic forms when I:

I used Pythagorean Therom to figure out the dimensions of our triangle for our lazar display. It helped us figure out where to place the mirrors. The angle of triangle was the angle of the lazar. That was our concrete triangle. If we got the math wrong our triangle would have been messed up and our triangles would have gone all over the place. I used the website Mr. Gross gave us to plan out the laser display. We used symbolic triangles to show where our lazer triangle would be at on the website

Applying and innovating: I co-operatively designed projects when I:

I helped one of my teammates hot glue details onto our display. I helped get materials for the display. I suggested the theme of the display.  It was Underground Scientist Laboratory.  I was very happy the group chose my idea. I helped position the lazar. The other kids helped me. It felt satisfying to have a great project come to a great end.