⚛️ Marvellous Matter Trivia

In this Scimatics project we worked individually to code a game or simulation about matter, including the Kinetic Molecular Theory and Atomic Theory, using the coding platform Scratch. You can play my game right now! (If it doesn’t load click here.)

How can the behaviour of matter be explained by the kinetic molecular theory and atomic theory?

The Kinetic Molecular Theory can be used to explain why molecules act differently depending on temperature and kinetic energy, and why matter changes state from solid to liquid to gas; for example, molecules speed up and move more randomly in a gaseous state when the temperature is high. Atomic Theory helps us to understand that all matter is made up of smaller particles: atoms and their subatomic particles and the combination of atoms that form molecules. We can demonstrate and educate others about these theories by creating models and simulations.

We used textbooks and worksheets to build our knowledge about atomic and kinetic molecular theory.

We also did an activity in which we used volume and mass to identify the density of a gem so we could attempt to identify it. We weighed the gem to find its mass and submerged the gem in water to find its volume. We determined the density of the gem by using the equation Density = Mass ÷ Volume. We then Googled gems with the same density to try and confirm what type it was. Based on our calculations Ben and I thought that the gem was Colourless Zircon. However, it was actually Colourless Topaz. I think we weren’t able to identify the gem correctly because it was very difficult to get an accurate measurement for the volume because the vials we submerged the gem in didn’t have small enough units. Density is a quantitative physical property. It wasn’t possible to identify the gem by only its qualitative physical properties, like colour or transparency, because there were five gems that were colourless.

For Milestone 2, I used Procreate to create this page with atomic models to demonstrate my ability to extend on the curricular competency “Scientific Communication: How can I communicate ideas, findings, and solutions to problems, using scientific language, representations, and digital technologies?”

I found it challenging to decide which atoms and molecules to draw and I spent a lot of time clicking through Google to find a manageable atom and molecule image to use as reference. However, I can imagine how challenging it must have been for the scientists who originally discovered molecules and atoms to be able to create a scientific model to explain their theory to a population that had never heard of molecules, not to mention atoms! In the end I think that I was able to created an accurate scientific model that I was proud of.

Milestone 3 was a test to quiz our newly gained knowledge and find areas that needed some more work. I (and some other peers) found that the test had many questions on topics we hadn’t covered yet, so it was very difficult to choose the correct answer and just resulted in guessing. However, I was able to use the questions in the test for my game! I also was able to build some more knowledge on some of the topics I didn’t know much about. I think that spending more time learning about those topics was a good way to demonstrate my accomplishment of the competency “Questioning and predicting: How can I demonstrate a sustained intellectual curiosity about a scientific topic or problem of personal interest?”

Milestone 4 helped me to develop a plan for my game that could meet the expectations of the curricular competency “Reasoning and analyzing: How can I use logic and patterns (including coding) to solve puzzles and play games?” We made a bullet point list including the science and features that we would include in our game and how they would come together to form a game or simulation. 

I think that I was able to make an understandable and accomplishable plan to follow as I began the process of coding. At first I found it difficult to think of a game idea (I wanted to make a game so the player could learn and be entertained simultaneously), but with some brainstorming and input from my family I was able to come up with something!

I then began the difficult process of coding my game using a program called Scratch. I went through a lot of trial and error, and had a LOT of help from my friend Nolan as well as Alicia and Aaron. I think that I would have found the coding easier if I had spent a bit more time on watching some of the tutorials. Here are some photos of my game development and coding process ⬇️

I really enjoyed getting to play my peers’ games or try their simulations!

This project was very challenging in many ways, but I learned so much about molecules and atoms, subatomic particles (quarks!), states of matter and how to code a game! Here is a Mind Map that I made for Milestone 1 at the start of this project and finished at the end that shows my growth in knowledge:

Now maybe I’ll be able to understand what my uncle is talking about when he tells us about his work and research with subatomic particles…  

2 thoughts on “⚛️ Marvellous Matter Trivia

1. I agree! I used to code with Scratch and it looks different now from when I last used it. Did they add an “If touching Sprite then bounce” script yet? I could never get that to work… (Probably because I thought the ‘make your own’ blocks had to be named whatever you wanted them to do and then it would magically code it for you…)