About Me

Hi, I’m Fraser. I’m a Performance Learning Program (PLP) student in grade 11 at Seycove Secondary, located in the always beautiful British Columbia, Canada. I enjoy painting, mountain biking, photography, nature, tech, hanging out with friends, and going for walks with my adorable puppy, Maruka. I titled this blog “The Mighty Fraser” because I’m named after the “mighty” Fraser River.

Two of my favourite hobbies are art and photography. I have been creating watercolour art pieces for most of my life and digital pieces since grade 8 (2020). I just recently started to focus more on improving my photography. Prior to this year, I took all my photos on my iPhone (which works great, I still use it often), but this year I took photography as an elective, where I learned how to use more professional DSLR cameras. I also did an Artists For Kids workshop with my good friend Faith, where we took photos of the shipyards and remixed them with archival images to create an image that told a story of past to present. As a result of the workshop, our work is now on public display at the Shipyards! You can go check it out, it’s located on the east balcony above the ice rink/splash park.

Check out some of my other works below. Several photos are from our PLP field study to Loon Lake,  as well as art pieces I have made.

The collage near the bottom of that gallery was created for our PLP project about the mistreatment of Indigenous Peoples in Canada throughout history to the present. My great-great-great paternal grandmother was Nlaka’pamux First Nations, and I’m always interested to learn more about Indigenous history and culture. Go check out my collage here ↗️

I created an online portfolio to showcase my art and photography. Graphic design is another one of my passions (as you’re beginning to see, I have a lot of interests), and I designed my website from scratch, no templates or anything. Check it out via the buttons below:

Closely tied to photography is film making, another thing really I enjoy doing. We make A LOT of videos in PLP. Some of my favourite films I’ve made include my documentary “Who Speaks for the Trees” and a fun silent film “The Great Banana Chase” I made with my friend Nolan. Check them out:

Another one of my skills is leadership. Even in Grade 8, I was often leader for our group projects, which I continue to do to this day. In both grade 8 and 9 I was “DRI” (directly responsible individual) for Destination Imagination. I would organize the team, sort information, arrange meeting times, etc. Check out my posts about both years of DI:

•  •  •

I’m also very passionate about climate activism. A lot of my projects have revolved around the issue of climate change and how we can work to stop it. Recently we made podcasts, and I made mine about climate change. I think climate change is quite possibly the most pressing issue humanity is facing right now, and I like to take every opportunity to educate myself and others about the issue. If you want to learn more, you can check out my podcast “The Climate Countdown” below:

Learn about some more projects I’ve done surrounding climate change:

🎥 Urban Tree Documentary
✉️ Epistle for the Environment
📖 Climate Poetry

🎥 Who Speaks For The Trees? | A Documentary by Fraser Wagner

If a tree falls in a city and nobody hears it, did it actually make a sound?
Follow former city planner Alex Jamieson (with interviews from his granddaughter, Kaia and his partner in crime, Michelle Sheardown) as he describes his continuing battle to convince developers to work around trees, instead of cutting them down, to beautify our cities.

✉️ An Epistle for the Environment

In this project I wrote a letter to Katrine Conroy, the Minister of Forests, Natural Lands and Resources to demand an immediate protection of old growth forests, specifically the unprotected forests in the Fairy Creek Watershed on Vancouver Island.

👁 Worldview Is Master of All | Poetry

Many poems in the book I created for this project were centred around climate change. Here’s one of my favourites:

You can see all the projects I’ve done in relation to the environment via the button below:

•  •  •

PLP learners work hard, take risks and learn how to learn. PLP is a public school program at Seycove Secondary that focuses on creating a deeper, more meaningful learning experience. PLP learners use Apple iPad to enhance to learning process. Learners in PLP also get to have the opportunity to go on field studies for learning outside the classroom and get to collaborate with peers on projects. To learn more about PLP, visit plp.seycove.ca

___________
All portrait photos of me (Fraser) by Faith S.
Updated: 16 March 2024.