Get ready set…Chemistry!

Welcome back to another blog post by Gabby!  Today’s topic is chemistry. For the past few weeks if not months we have been learning chemistry in our science class.

We learnt the basic fundamentals, like what an ionic bond is, what a covalent bond us and what a polyatomic ion is. If you want to brush up on those terms there will be videos below explaining what each one of those things means.

You can see the background information on Chemistry here:

But! During this unit we did something very very special. We did a project that crossed over from our science class to our humanities class to our maker class.What we did was create a story about a chemical bond. Creating a story is part of our humanities course at the moment. Chemical bonding and chemistry part of our science course. And the last and final part of this project was to make a video, for our maker class. My partner was Jordyn. The main elements of our story were Strontium and Oxygen. We named the element of Strontium Spike the element of Oxygen Olive.

You can see the story we created here: 

And last but most certainly not least, we created a mind map. We use this my map at the beginning of the unit, to map out any questions we might have about chemistry. As you can see below I answered the questions I had with the things I learned throughout the chemistry unit.

My Reflection on Chemistry:

I absolutely LOVED chemistry. Sure it was very confusing at times, but I thought it was profoundly interesting. It was a bit like learning the science behind what makes up life and matte and how different matter is formed. I have to say this was one of my favourite science topics and can’t wait to keep learning about it. Thanks for reading and keep your eyes open for a post following this one that is coming very soon….