Tectonic Chances

The driving question:

How are thematic and mathematical elements used in game design?

For this project, we were asked to make a board game. The main theme of the game had to be the theory of plate tectonics, and evidence to support that. We also had to include probability. 

My partner for this project was Julia.

At the beginning of this project, we made a Mindnode with some questions we had about plate tectonics. Now, at the end of this project, I was able to answer some of the questions I had.  

By now you must being what the board game is about. 

In my opinion, I feel that I came up with the best name possible for this game, which is about continental drift. 

The name of the game is……. Pangaea Divided. 

If you don’t know, Pangaea was the name of the supercontinent that began breaking apart (into the continents we know today) about 200 million years ago. 

Here’s the story of the game:

Scientists have made a major breakthrough. Time travel is now possible. You are part of a team of volunteers that goes back in time to when the continents were one. Only, when you arrive, something is off… You can see mountains form and fall, you can feel the movement of tectonic plates beneath your feet; time has sped up. Your time machine was greatly damaged by a rift in the space time continuum, all the pieces were scattered, you must find the pieces. You and your team realize the past is no place for modern humanity, and that you need to get out of here. You must fix your time machine.

So, in the game, you have to move around the board, which has seven movable continent pieces, collecting Repair cards to fix your time machine. You might also land on a spot where you have to draw an Evidence card; on one side of the card, there is a definition of a word relating to the theory of plate tectonics, and then you have to guess what word it is. You might also draw a Continental Drift card. If that happens, you have to roll a dice a few times to determine the continent that moves (the continents are numbered 1-7), what direction it moves, and how many spaces. 

One weekend my Dad and I play-tested the game to see if it worked well. I had to change a few things so it would be more fun, and more collaborative, since all the players are supposed to be working together, I also came up with abilities for the characters. 

Later, in class, we did a game day, where we played each others games. It was fun seeing what other people did for their game. 

And the penultimate thing in this blog post is………                                             The Curricular Competencies! 

(Cue dramatic music) 

(Lightning strikes)

(Thunder booms)

(Windows shatter)

There are 3 curricular competencies. 

In the paragraphs below, I will explain my proficiency in these competencies. 

Evaluating: Demonstrate an understanding and appreciation of evidence

The theory of plate tectonics was the main theme of my game. In my board game,  I had 12 science concepts, with evidence (in the form of Evidence Cards) to support in my game. And the game pieces I made for the game were shaped like continents, so that represented a tectonics concept. 

Questioning and predicting: Demonstrate a sustained intellectual curiosity about a scientific topic or problem of personal interest

Throughout this project, I managed to stay focused on whatever I was doing, the majority of the time. I found this project to be pretty fun, writing the game rules, and designing and creating the pieces and board.  

Understanding and solving: Develop, demonstrate, and apply mathematical understanding through play, inquiry, and problem solving

In the game rules, I included the probability of 3 combinations of events. Also, in my game, there is probability in every turn to determine outcomes. There is a lot of dice rolling. 

My favourite probability equation that I did was –

The probability of getting a Continental Drift card and the continents not moving (due to rolling  3 sixes in row) are:

20/84 x 1/216 = 5/4536

It has such a little chance of actually happening, it’s funny. 

Thank you for reading my blog post! Have a good day! (Or night)