Constructing Creative Communication- Carr

The driving question: How might I use technology to create and communicate?

So, in this project, the class was divided into two groups, Herzog and Carr. Half the class was in one of the groups, and the other half in the other. After five classes, the groups would switch.   Carr is drawing, and Herzog is photography. 

The group I was in first was Carr. We learned about using pressure, shading, doodling, perspective, and using colour. We used Sketches Pro.

One of the first things we did was learn about pressure. With the Apple pencil, if you press harder, the line you are drawing will be thicker, and if you don’t press as hard, the line will be thinner. 

We also had to use colours and patterns in our name drawing. 

For the shading part of this project, we had to sketch a mug. The table group I was in had to sketch this mug:

After we took a picture of the mug, we had to identify the main shapes of the cup. 

This is my finished mug:

Another thing we did was that we drew a robot. In this one, we also had to use shading, as well as 3-D shapes. I chose blue because it’s my favourite colour.

My favourite part of this project was learning about perspective. We had to draw a room, find the vanishing point, the horizon line. We also learned about linear perspective. 

I was drawing a room at the start, then I started getting of track, and made this:

Then we had to find a picture of a landscape, then recreate it. I had taken this picture of this blue bus that I had seen on the road once, and I thought it would be cool. 

Here’s the original photo:

And here’s mine: 

I used layers to create this. I cut the cars out because they didn’t look that nice.

On the last day of Carr, we had a Zoom meeting with this person named Chloe Devine. She is a graphic designer who lives New York City. She told us a bit about herself, and then taught us some stuff about graphic designing. 

You have to have simple shapes and colours so things don’t get too complicated. And that different colours affect how you feel. 

Next we had to make a logo. It could be for a business you made up, or for yourself, or anything like that. I didn’t know what to do, so I did a logo for Dune. 

Dune is a book by Frank Herbert. It was published in 1965. The original Dune movie came out in 1985. They recently made a remake of that movie (you can see the trailer here). I watched the movie before reading the book, and as always, the book is better. The new movie had very nice visuals and soundtrack though. 

(Here is the book so you know what it’s about)

Here is my Dune logo:

I used simple shapes and colours, and a little bit of texture on the sand dunes. The quote at the bottom is from the book. 

One way we can use technology to create and communicate is through sketching. With the right tools you could draw anything you could possibly want, whether it be just some random little drawing that you wanted to do, or maybe for your job, say, if you’re a graphic designer, or animator, or an artist for Magic: the Gathering, or anything else that could possibly require this skill.  Anything you create can tell a story, and that is important for communication. 

I hope you enjoyed this post about drawing, and I’ll be back to write a post about photography in a couple weeks!

Thank you for reading! Have a nice day!