Anime and Manga

Welcome back to my blog!

If you haven’t seen my previous posts on Japan, I recommend looking at those first- 

Intro Post

Post #2- Basics of the Japanese Writing System

Post #3- Japanese Food

Today’s post will be all about anime and manga! I’ll just be telling you a few of my favourite anime and manga. I’ll try to come up with a good description for each as well.

In case you don’t know:

Anime = Japanese animation

Manga = Japanese comics or graphic novels, read from right to left

First up-

The Promised Neverland

Three orphans, Emma, Norman and Ray discover a sinister secret at Grace Field House. 

Genre: Dark Fantasy, Thriller, Science Fiction

Seasons: 2 (23 episodes)

Manga: 20 volumes (181 chapters)

I’ve only watched the first season (Netflix doesn’t have season 2) and read the first few volumes of the manga, but it’s really good, and I would recommend it. 

Hunter x Hunter 

A boy named Gon sets out to become a Hunter, so he can find his father. But, first he must take the Hunter exam.

Genre: Adventure, action, fantasy

Seasons: 6 (148 episodes) 

Manga: 36 volumes (380 chapters)

This is my favourite anime! I haven’t read the manga yet, but it’s great. It also has the best opening theme (in my opinion). I was bored one day, so I decided to draw some Hunter x Hunter characters:

Chrollo and Alluka

Edens Zero

Shiki Granbell sets out to meet ‘Mother’, a space goddess who is rumoured to be able to grant wishes.  

Genre: Adventure, science fantasy

Seasons: 1 (25 episodes)

Manga: 18 volumes (176 chapters)

I’ve only watched the first couple episodes and read the first volume, but it’s pretty good so far, and if you like sci-fi shows with robots and space, I would recommend it.

Demon Slayer: Kimetsu no Yaiba 

A demon slaughtered Tanjiro Kamado’s whole family and his sister Nezuko, was turned into a demon. 

Genre: Adventure, dark fantasy

Seasons: 2 (26 episodes)

Manga: 23 volumes (205 chapters)

Black Butler

In Victorian era England, Orphan Ciel Phantomhive sells his soul to a demon, Sebastian, to help avenge his parents deaths. 

Genre: Dark fantasy, dark comedy, supernatural

Seasons: 3 (43 episodes)

Manga: 31 volumes (175 chapters)

This is my second favourite anime! Netflix used to have all three seasons, then they took the whole show off, and now it’s back, minus the first season. I don’t know why they did that, but if you have a chance to watch it, I would, because it’s great. (This one also has a good opening theme)

Spy x Family

Twilight aka Loid Forger, a spy, must create a fake family for the sake of his mission. Little does he know, his ‘wife’ is an assassin, and his ‘daughter’ is a telepath. 

Genre: Action, comedy, spy fiction

Manga: 8 volumes (58 chapters)

This doesn’t have an anime yet, but I googled it, and it says that its coming out some time in April this year! 

All of the anime that I’ve listed above is currently on Netflix, if you want to watch it. Also, if you want to read the manga, everything that I’ve listed, except Edens Zero and Black Butler,  is available on this app called Shonen Jump. You do have to pay for a subscription if you want to read more than just the first few chapters, but it’s only about $3 a month, which is better than $13 or so if you want a paper copy. There’s a lot more manga you can also read such as: Tokyo Ghoul, My Hero Academia, One Piece, Bleach, Naruto, and tons more. The only problem I have with this is that you have to pay $10 if you want one volume of Hunter x Hunter, because you can’t read individual chapters. Other than that though, it’s a pretty good app. 

Here is my manga collection:

Here is my manga collection moments after the photo above was taken:

Here is yet another photo of my manga collection, this time so you can see everything:

Anyway, I hope you enjoyed reading about anime and manga that I recommend, and have a good day!

One thought on “Anime and Manga”